Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 268 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anecdotally, the percentage of WDW APs who add the water parks seems small, I'd guess under 20%. SW/Aquatica may be a bit higher, just because the add-on is so cheap ($5/month on flexpay), but a substantial percentage of the population just won't go to a water park. I can't imagine UOR forcing people to buy an AP to VB.
Yeah, I agree. I think they'd rather have a segment of the AP's pass on VB, to keep it from getting uncomfortably crowded during peak tourist seasons. And the ones that will buy the higher VB included passes are probably the AP's holders that have more disposable income. , and that's the segment they're looking for. This certainly is going to be the complete opposite of the Wet & Wild demographic....Of course, this is just me speculating since I have no insider knowledge of this..... (Hint: Real Insiders, feel free to PM me with any actuall info . I keep secrets real good. :lol:)

Reactions: Joel and SeventyOne
It's funny that ever so often when a price increase comes along, the theme park community needs to be reminded that the parks are a luxury, not something anyone is entitled to. If Universal wants to position this as a premium experience, they will price it accordingly.

And to whoever said that Disney's the one that sets the pricing for the market.. I don't believe that to be true anymore. Isn't Universal/Islands more expensive than Disney right now at the gate? Plus, Universal keeps innovating ways to increase spending with Hogwarts Express, seasonal pricing, and possibly now Volcano Bay.

I understand we're not talking about milk and bread here but a one day ticket should cost as much as my monthly satellite/internet bill. Theme parks are a luxury to a certain amount, the issue I have is we then get into "let's price this to a level where those who can afford it demand more and those who would love to go can't afford it."

I'm not sure of what the budget for VB is, but I would guess in the $200 million + range. This is not a charity and they will be looking to get ROI, so there is no need to give away the gate to passholders.

When it comes to VB, I'm interested in seeing how this all plays out. In my eyes (passholder living 200 miles away), I see this as a park I would enjoy at night.

My observation of the Disney water parks is that they are busy in the morning, people wipe themselves out and leave around two or three. When I was a passholder and I think even as a FL resident, I could get in cheap after 4, but I think the park still closed pretty early.

With VB, I kinda feel UNI has the opportunity to sell this park twice a day (sort of like the Studios during HHN or like ancient water parks that sold timed tickets...like a roller rink or something).

I sort of think they can have VB cater to visiting families that would visit open til three and then possibly still do well selling a different admission to folks for use after four. I really think they could end up having better admission by keeping longer hours, selling day guest the whole day/night experience (full well knowing a large % would be done by four pm). Then offer an after four ticket to sort of sell to a different group of guest.

There are a lot of people with easy access to the park.

To be fair, I think it's best for AP holders that there be two types of AP passes, those that include VB and those that don't. Otherwise, the price increase, which will probably be large for the ones including VB, would be too expensive for many AP holders to afford. And, not everyone wants to go a a water park "often", even if it's a step up from the normal water park. Kind of the best of a tough situation.

When it comes to VB, I'm interested in seeing how this all plays out. In my eyes (passholder living 200 miles away), I see this as a park I would enjoy at night.

My observation of the Disney water parks is that they are busy in the morning, people wipe themselves out and leave around two or three. When I was a passholder and I think even as a FL resident, I could get in cheap after 4, but I think the park still closed pretty early.

With VB, I kinda feel UNI has the opportunity to sell this park twice a day (sort of like the Studios during HHN or like ancient water parks that sold timed tickets...like a roller rink or something).

Again, every water park (except Blizzard) has tried this. Typhoon, Aquatica, WnW, even Water Mania back in the day. It was incredible at Aquatica--friends and I had an entire wave pool to ourselves. But the general public never goes for it. Those crowds still sitting on the curb every night waiting for DEP? They illustrate how hard it is to shift guest expectations. And guests don't go to water parks at night.

Reactions: Nick
I haven't followed this thread extensively, so pardon me if this has already been discussed.

What will the lighting situation be like? I know the volcano is supposed to have a show and all, but loads of people are deathly afraid of water when they can't see what's in front of them (IMO, this is why water parks never stay open late). I would hope/assume that there'll be extensive lighting within the slides to calm any fears.

I'll be slightly irritated if there isn't an option for a 1 day pass. There is a very slim chance that I might be in Orlando for a day or two later this year and VB is really the only thing that's making me want to stay.

I haven't followed this thread extensively, so pardon me if this has already been discussed.

What will the lighting situation be like? I know the volcano is supposed to have a show and all, but loads of people are deathly afraid of water when they can't see what's in front of them (IMO, this is why water parks never stay open late). I would hope/assume that there'll be extensive lighting within the slides to calm any fears.
With Universal's background as a film studio, they seem to take mood lighting pretty seriously. Even the hyper themed Islands of Adventure breaks the illusion often to stick in lots of colorful studio lighting in every nook and cranny of the park. One would hope VB is no different.

I think lighting rigs like these pointed at slides would do the trick for nighttime mood setting, and making it not as scary to ride at night. These are pointed at Kong. Even though they're some serious setups, they're actually hardly noticeable when walking by.

00409.MTS_.Still047.jpg

00409.MTS_.Still048.jpg

The biggest reason that made our family leave early afternoon was the near guaranteed thunderstorm washout. Sitting there desperately trying to shelter under a little hut and not knowing whether you were sitting there for 10 minutes or 2 hours usually equaled "sod it, let's go"

However as someone who loved night swims in the hotel pool colour me intrigued over their night offerings.

I think we will see blackout dates for AP holders at VB. Like not good for spring break, or from May to September or something like that. There might be an unlimited pass at the highest tier or an add on price to add to other passes, but I think the rest get blackouts. One day tickets will be there. If you walk up to the gate with money in hand they aren't going to turn you away. But, like has been suggested, that price may be the same as the other parks. Otherwise, it looks like a $40 upgrade on multi-day passes. Not too bad all things considered.

I think lighting rigs like these pointed at slides would do the trick for nighttime mood setting, and making it not as scary to ride at night. These are pointed at Kong. Even though they're some serious setups, they're actually hardly noticeable when walking by.

00409.MTS_.Still047.jpg

00409.MTS_.Still048.jpg
When you look at the pre visual presentation of the park (make it a high resolution) you can see light poles (maybe also speakers) (yellow) during the top-down view from the volcano at the beach of the pool. You can see more of these poles in the video (it's that good of a presentation). You can even see it in the still of the video below.

Reactions: Alicia
I've heard VB will be the same price as IoA and USF. One word I could use to describe this is "bold".

That would be really bold. Isn't that double the Disney price for TL/BB?

I think it's $60'ish for a 1 day. If VB is the same price as IOA on a peak day that would be close to $120.

if VB stays
That would be really bold. Isn't that double the Disney price for TL/BB?

I think it's $60'ish for a 1 day. If VB is the same price as IOA on a peak day that would be close to $120.
bold wouldnt be the word i would use although i think most people going to VB will be multi-day visitors and AP holders

Status
Not open for further replies.