The State of Epcot | Page 33 | Inside Universal Forums

The State of Epcot

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The UK would be a great excuse to bring back Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, but that's never going to happen. Mary Poppins is of course the most likely candidate for a ride. Alice in Wonderland is another property I could see getting a ride. Hell, there's already one in Disneyland.
How about a dual-use showbuilding with BOTH Alice and Toad?

Reactions: SeventyOne
Yeah, Toad and Alice would be fast, easy and cheap (by Disney standards) to add to the UK pavilion, and would add some of the missing "magic" that people want.

Then add Pinnochio to Italy, Snow White to Germany.

Reactions: Cheezbat
Could you imagine a musical journey thru Mary Poppins with Supercali, Let's Go Fly a Kite, Chim Chim Cheree, Jolly Holiday, Spoonful of Sugar... I would be truly shaken by this news if true.
No insider has named a Poppins ride as in consideration. It was actually said that it's so early into the planning for this that they haven't picked a theme/IP.

That said, Poppins makes the most sense.

So it really seems a lot is being proposed for Epcot as I read around more and more. To simplify things, here's a list from Martin compiled over on magic recently.
  • Energy is getting a GotG overhaul.
  • Communicore (outside of mouse gear) will be updated/overhauled, green lit. Mouse Gear to get a new name.
  • Mission Space will get a refurb/update, green lit.
  • There are plans for Imagination, but not green lit.
  • Land will get an update
  • Seas will get refurbished
  • Test Track will remain as is
  • Spaceship Earth will receive an update
  • Brazil Pavillon
  • Ratatouille Ride in France
  • Coco in Mexico
  • Ride for UK
  • Replacement for Illuminations.
As far as World Showcase goes, the most likely things are Illuminations update, Coco overlay in Mexico and Rat ride. New Country (Brazil or ?) and UK attraction (Anywhere from B-D ticket) are also looking likely.

As for Future World, there's a lot there as seen above, but attraction wise, Mission: Space may see an update as early as this year.

Last edited:
So it really seems a lot is being proposed for Epcot as I read around more and more. To simplify things, here's a list from Martin compiled over on magic recently (he was commenting on someone else's post... the bold is his text):
  • Energy is getting a GotG overhaul, green lit.
  • Wonders might get a GotG phase 2, or something else. Or be demolished.
  • Communicore (outside of mouse gear) will be updated/overhauled, green lit. Including Mousegear
  • Land might get a update, but not green lit. will get an update
  • Seas will remain as is wrong
  • Space Ship Earth will remain as is wrong
  • Disney Pixar Short Film Festival to get replaced with Inside Out (Part of imagination plans), but not green lit. Wrong
  • Brazil Pavillon, but not green lit.
  • Ratatouille Ride in France, green lit. Not green lit.
  • Coco For Mexico, Not green lit
  • Ride for UK, Not green lit
  • Replacement for Illuminations. 2017-2019, Green Lit. Didn't I post those dates like 3 hours ago?
As far as World Showcase goes, the most likely things are Illuminations update, Coco overlay in Mexico and Rat ride. New Country (Brazil or ?) and UK attraction (Anywhere from B-D ticket) are also looking likely.

As for Future World, there's a lot there as seen above, but attraction wise, Mission: Space may see an update as early as this year.
Interesting. The cynic in me says that's all Future World will get. So, as of now, that's a big ride at Energy, a Test-Track style update for Mission Space and a placemaking / retail change for communicore. Not terrible by any means. Something big for Imagination and I think Future World could be a huge hit.

So it really seems a lot is being proposed for Epcot as I read around more and more. To simplify things, here's a list from Martin compiled over on magic recently (he was commenting on someone else's post... the bold is his text):
  • Energy is getting a GotG overhaul, green lit.
  • Wonders might get a GotG phase 2, or something else. Or be demolished.
  • Communicore (outside of mouse gear) will be updated/overhauled, green lit. Including Mousegear
  • Land might get a update, but not green lit. will get an update
  • Seas will remain as is wrong
  • Space Ship Earth will remain as is wrong
  • Disney Pixar Short Film Festival to get replaced with Inside Out (Part of imagination plans), but not green lit. Wrong
  • Brazil Pavillon, but not green lit.
  • Ratatouille Ride in France, green lit. Not green lit.
  • Coco For Mexico, Not green lit
  • Ride for UK, Not green lit
  • Replacement for Illuminations. 2017-2019, Green Lit. Didn't I post those dates like 3 hours ago?

Lots of stuff, potentially. Some of that excites me, some of it scares me. I really hope they don't screw around with Spaceship Earth and Living with the Land to the extent that they lose their original EPCOT Center-ness. If the proposed changes are fully in line with the spirit of those attractions, then fine; if not, then that's two more classic attractions compromised.

Reactions: Alicia
The Brazil pavilion is contingent on the Brazilian government coughing up more than half the cost ($250 million). The state of the Brazilian government and economy might make that difficult.

The Brazil pavilion is contingent on the Brazilian government coughing up more than half the cost ($250 million). The state of the Brazilian government and economy might make that difficult.

But they were interested in it before.

I'd say the other country contender - if they're willing to forgive Disney for telling them they're "too much like Japan and China" - is South Korea.

Both have tried to get a pavilion and been snubbed by Disney.

I'd say the other country contender - if they're willing to forgive Disney for telling them they're "too much like Japan and China" - is South Korea.

South Korea isn't exactly in great shape this weekend either.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I remember back in the day when they had Lebanon and Israel on 'coming soon' billboards. A friend wondered if they were going to fire rockets at each other every night for the fireworks display. :/
Thats the problem with countries - todays friend tomorrows? (Imagine if the Iran pavilion had actually been built!)

Reactions: Joel
I remember back in the day when they had Lebanon and Israel on 'coming soon' billboards. A friend wondered if they were going to fire rockets at each other every night for the fireworks display. :/
Thats the problem with countries - todays friend tomorrows? (Imagine if the Iran pavilion had actually been built!)
Brazil is about as safe of a country to build if you're Disney. I get you're point though.

Reactions: SeventyOne

Well, based on their recent & completely unnecessary expenditures to host the Olympics and World Cup, it seems like they're definitely willing to spend money on something like this. :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.