The State of Epcot | Page 35 | Inside Universal Forums

The State of Epcot

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So while many lately have been fairly confident that Ratatouille won out as the France attraction over BATB (it's cheaper, after all), with the new film coming in at a huge blockbuster debut, I have to think it will be hard to ignore BATB as the better option (for the company fiscally, at least). No R&D work needs to be done for BATB either... it's already done for Tokyo.

I really don't see BATB as a good fit for the France pavilion. That being said we know from past precedent that they really don't care about putting much thought into that.

The BATB ride is supposed to be significantly better than Ratatouille actually (it was drawn up for TDL, after all). It's also about 3-4 minutes longer. Rat struggles with what people complain about at UOR... it's all screens.

However I agree that Rat is the better option as the movie ties into french culture which fits the pavillion a hell of a lot better than BATB would. However, could the merchandising opportunities of BATB be too much to turn down?
Interesting, I would have preferred Rats too, but after hearing the longer ride time and less screens- I'm starting to second guess myself

Reactions: Alicia
Disney missed the boat neglecting to build a B&B ride in WDW during two decades of B&B popularity. They'd be complete fools to pass it up with this huge box office success. The Rat looks OK as a ride, and it is a nice fit, BUT, it won't really get people to schedule a vacation. A Beauty & the Beast ride would, and be a big attendance driver.
My big problem with a BATB ride in France is then World Showcase starts to become home of the princess. Ratatouille would balance things out. It seems an IP ride is happening no matter what, so i'd rather have one that focuses on French culture than one that references it in passing.

Where a BATB ride belongs is in New Fantasyland. It would cause a pretty decent backstage shuffle to put another ride in that area, but the IP deserves it. Hell, the queue could be the Enchanted Tales building.

My big problem with a BATB ride in France is then World Showcase starts to become home of the princess. Ratatouille would balance things out. It seems an IP ride is happening no matter what, so i'd rather have one that focuses on French culture than one that references it in passing.

Where a BATB ride belongs is in New Fantasyland. It would cause a pretty decent backstage shuffle to put another ride in that area, but the IP deserves it. Hell, the queue could be the Enchanted Tales building.
Yes, in a perfect world that would be the case. But MK really doesn't need an attendance driver, Epcot does. As a businessman I would locate a B&B attraction in Epcot, a park that has flattened in attendance over the past two decades. Epcot will certainly evolve in the near future into a somewhat different park. Of course, as a theme park enthusiast, I'd rather see it in NFL.

Yes, in a perfect world that would be the case. But MK really doesn't need an attendance driver, Epcot does. As a businessman I would locate a B&B attraction in Epcot, a park that has flattened in attendance over the past two decades. Epcot will certainly evolve in the near future into a somewhat different park. Of course, as a theme park enthusiast, I'd rather see it in NFL.
MK is going to see quite a bit of love over the coming years leading up to the 50th... many things that I would consider attendance drivers.

DHS and Epcot both have $1B+ directed towards each park, but MK has $500M+ and will see multiple additions/replacements.

Reactions: Joel
Purely in a vacuum, I would probably rather have the Beauty and the Beast ride (knowing what I've heard about it, since it's not even built yet!) than the Ratatouille ride. However, Ratatouille feels like an eminently more appropriate fit for the France pavilion. Its very subject matter is connected to the country's culture in a way that Beauty and the Beast simply is not.

I would love to see a Beauty and the Beast ride come to WDW... but, I don't know, maybe in the place that's already themed to the movie! *cough*New Fantasyland*cough*

Maybe the new movie's success will put such a project on track for the park's 50th.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick and Mr. EPCOT
It should be pointed out that Ratatouille would take roughly 18 months to build and BATB about 24-30 (those numbers coming from @Marni1971).

That makes Rat not only the cheaper option, but the quicker option. Supposedly Disney wants this open by late 2019/Early 2020, which would be around when SWL is opening. The reasoning for wanting it open then is because a new ride at Epcot (along with FEA being there right around when Frozen 2 is releasing) could slightly ease the hit the resort will take once SWL opens.

It should be pointed out that Ratatouille would take roughly 18 months to build and BATB about 24-30 (those numbers coming from @Marni1971).

That makes Rat not only the cheaper option, but the quicker option. Supposedly Disney wants this open by late 2019/Early 2020, which would be around when SWL is opening. The reasoning for wanting it open then is because a new ride at Epcot (along with FEA being there right around when Frozen 2 is releasing) could slightly ease the hit the resort will take once SWL opens.

Sounds like Ratatouille should certainly have the inside track, then. Though I'm skeptical that current WDW can get anything built-from-scratch in 18 months.

Sounds like Ratatouille should certainly have the inside track, then. Though I'm skeptical that current WDW can get anything built-from-scratch in 18 months.
I would be too, but for rat, they don't even need to build a facade... the entrance is proposed to go from inside the current pavilion. No long stretches of time working on rock work.

It's literally just throwing up a box and a ride that already exists in Paris.

I would be too, but for rat, they don't even need to build a facade... the entrance is proposed to go from inside the current pavilion. No long stretches of time working on rock work.

It's literally just throwing up a box and a ride that already exists in Paris.

Wow, from inside the current pavilion, huh? I trust the necessary knocking-down of walls would not involve the removal of Impressions de France.

Disney missed the boat neglecting to build a B&B ride in WDW during two decades of B&B popularity. They'd be complete fools to pass it up with this huge box office success. The Rat looks OK as a ride, and it is a nice fit, BUT, it won't really get people to schedule a vacation. A Beauty & the Beast ride would, and be a big attendance driver.

I think I'd prefer Ratatouille but if B&B turns out to be the better ride, I'll take it. Adding more SCREENZ to EPCOT might be a bit overkilll.

Here's hoping that Disney get their ass in gear if they decide to go down the B&B route and build it quickly while the IP is still hot instead of waiting 3 years like Frozen.

Reactions: Mad Dog
If only Disney stuck with their guns on the original, "original" FLE plans....
Agreed. We would have 2 dark rides (VOLM & BATB), a Snow White area, and Pixie Hollow. That would have allowed for SDMT to be added in a different location, possibly with a longer ride time.

I think I'd prefer Ratatouille but if B&B turns out to be the better ride, I'll take it. Adding more SCREENZ to EPCOT might be a bit overkilll.

Here's hoping that Disney get their ass in gear if they decide to go down the B&B route and build it quickly while the IP is still hot instead of waiting 3 years like Frozen.
At least Frozen has a sequel coming out in the future. By the time a BatB ride is ready there will have been 3 (or more) more live-action re-makes to come out.

Beauty and the Beast is hot right now, and don't get me wrong, the animated film will always be a beloved classic, but come three years from now the new live-action remake will be as thought about as the Cinderella one from a few years ago is now.

The Jungle Book is already old news, now we're moving on to The Lion King.

Cinderella's new dress is beautiful with butterflies, Belle's rocking the classic yellow dress perfectly recreated, Tim Burton's directing Dumbo starring Danny DeVito? There's only so much room in the press' memory for these live-action things. And audiences are pretty much forced to move on pretty quickly from one flash in the pan to the next.

As has been said before, BatB fits well into new Fantasyland, where it already has a presence, and should, of course, be based on the timeless animated classic. Let's get some fresh blood into Epcot. (Even if the Ratatouille ride is based on an existing ride, at least it's a new property for WDW.)

At least Frozen has a sequel coming out in the future. By the time a BatB ride is ready there will have been 3 (or more) more live-action re-makes to come out.

Beauty and the Beast is hot right now, and don't get me wrong, the animated film will always be a beloved classic, but come three years from now the new live-action remake will be as thought about as the Cinderella one from a few years ago is now.

The Jungle Book is already old news, now we're moving on to The Lion King.

Cinderella's new dress is beautiful with butterflies, Belle's rocking the classic yellow dress perfectly recreated, Tim Burton's directing Dumbo starring Danny DeVito? There's only so much room in the press' memory for these live-action things. And audiences are pretty much forced to move on pretty quickly from one flash in the pan to the next.

As has been said before, BatB fits well into new Fantasyland, where it already has a presence, and should, of course, be based on the timeless animated classic. Let's get some fresh blood into Epcot. (Even if the Ratatouille ride is based on an existing ride, at least it's a new property for WDW.)

I think you're right about the cartoons being timeless but the live action remakes becoming old and dated and will probably never reach a level of nostalgia that the animated films have.

I'm still trying to process Danny DeVito. It's either going to be genius or horrible and I don't think I'll ever be able to shake the image of him as Frank now.

Reactions: Alicia and n i c k
I think you're right about the cartoons being timeless but the live action remakes becoming old and dated and will probably never reach a level of nostalgia that the animated films have.

I'm still trying to process Danny DeVito. It's either going to be genius or horrible and I don't think I'll ever be able to shake the image of him as Frank now.
Danny DeVito's portrayal of the Penguin in Batman was so over the top that no matter what role he plays anymore, my mind sees the DeVito Penguin.

Reactions: TJwny and belloq87
Danny DeVito's portrayal of the Penguin in Batman was so over the top that no matter what role he plays anymore, my mind sees the DeVito Penguin.

This is what I see:

8UFsKB.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.