Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I saw this on YouTube and thought it would be a prefect fit for a JW family coaster. I'm not encouraging the replacement of JP at IOA, I just came across a motorcycle jungle themed ride.

I saw this on YouTube and thought it would be a prefect fit for a JW family coaster. I'm not encouraging the replacement of JP at IOA, I just came across a motorcycle jungle themed ride.

I could really get behind something like this.

My concern with all the coaster talk recently is that with Universal having a 50% jump in attendance since IOA opened, any new ride is going to need a huge capacity which probably rules something like this out unless they can load it like HRRR or have duel stations which I doubt. For a big coaster, I think they'll need to go for a people eater like B&M or something indoors not effected by the weather.

Something similar to the Mummy themed to JP could be something truly great with some AAs.

I could really get behind something like this.

My concern with all the coaster talk recently is that with Universal having a 50% jump in attendance since IOA opened, any new ride is going to need a huge capacity which probably rules something like this out unless they can load it like HRRR or have duel stations which I doubt. For a big coaster, I think they'll need to go for a people eater like B&M or something indoors not effected by the weather.

Something similar to the Mummy themed to JP could be something truly great with some AAs.

The thought in me, with all the talk with DC's replacement being a coaster; it'd be wise to expect something like that there.

UC has worked with Dynamic before, and it could make sense to see whatever is replacing DC being similar to the SFX coaster (which, would make it America's first).

As for JW, I believe what @LJGonz would make the most sense.

The thought in me, with all the talk with DC's replacement being a coaster; it'd be wise to expect something like that there.

UC has worked with Dynamic before, and it could make sense to see whatever is replacing DC being similar to the SFX coaster (which, would make it America's first).

As for JW, I believe what @LJGonz would make the most sense.

If I remember correctly, I think they recently opened a new office in Orlando.

My concern with going down that route for HP is that it would be too similar to Gringotts.

Out of interest, between JP and HP, what IP do you think is aimed at an older audience?

If I remember correctly, I think they recently opened a new office in Orlando.

My concern with going down that route for HP is that it would be too similar to Gringotts.

Out of interest, between JP and HP, what IP do you think is aimed at an older audience?

I'd say Both, strangely.

Potter is a maturing Franchise, with each book/film getting more darker than before that, and the JP IP wasn't exactly for kids before Jurassic World.

If I had to pick one, it'd be Potter.

In terms of the Dynamic System being potentially too similar; they can have a customizable layout. The SFX coaster looks suited for heavy intergration of coaster and dark ride, and that they can have an unique layout that wouldn't be like what any other iteration would be.

As for Jurassic World; I am curious about the new film coming next year, and if we may see more things that could be for the parks.

I'd say Both, strangely.

Potter is a maturing Franchise, with each book/film getting more darker than before that, and the JP IP wasn't exactly for kids before Jurassic World.

If I had to pick one, it'd be Potter.

In terms of the Dynamic System being potentially too similar; they can have a customizable layout. The SFX coaster looks suited for heavy intergration of coaster and dark ride, and that they can have an unique layout that wouldn't be like what any other iteration would be.

As for Jurassic World; I am curious about the new film coming next year, and if we may see more things that could be for the parks.

I was talking to my wife about this earlier and she said the exact same. At a glance I would have said JP as I always remember that being a scary movie when I was kid but you're spot on about the HP films getting darker as they progress and JP being made for a younger audience.

With the new movies, you have to wonder if the theme park people are having any influence on the movies by adding small plots that could make for an interesting ride experience. JP being a Universal IP, they can have that level of control unlike HP.

Listening to Sean's review of the Jurassic World exhibition tour on the latest Parkscope podcast had me thinking... Any chance of bringing the exhibit to the theme parks after it completes it's run at the Franklin Institute?

Based on the size of the exhibit halls in both Philadelphia and Melbourne, it could easily fit in the area of the old Triceratops Encounter. I think a basic show building could be built in this space and have it open in 2018 as a good cross promotion for JW2. Also, it would balance the screen heavy F&F ride that year with a more practical effects attraction. Thoughts?
upload_2017-3-20_11-53-13.png

Listening to Sean's review of the Jurassic World exhibition tour on the latest Parkscope podcast had me thinking... Any chance of bringing the exhibit to the theme parks after it completes it's run at the Franklin Institute?

Based on the size of the exhibit halls in both Philadelphia and Melbourne, it could easily fit in the area of the old Triceratops Encounter. I think a basic show building could be built in this space and have it open in 2018 as a good cross promotion for JW2. Also, it would balance the screen heavy F&F ride that year with a more practical effects attraction. Thoughts?
View attachment 3898

I like the idea in theory, however I think just replicating the Exhibition experience would not quite be up to theme park standards in terms of detail. I would love for Universal to add dinosaur AAs like the Exhibition offers, but I'd rather see outdoor paddocks instead of fully enclosed ones.

I like the idea in theory, however I think just replicating the Exhibition experience would not quite be up to theme park standards in terms of detail. I would love for Universal to add dinosaur AAs like the Exhibition offers, but I'd rather see outdoor paddocks instead of fully enclosed ones.
Also, the company putting on the exhibit likes money. Why put it in a place that people already pay for entry when they can bring it to a museum or convention center hall and charge admission?

Plus, I could easily spend two hours at the exhibition, but in a theme park setting where people are rushing to get to the next ride they'll just breeze on through and miss the intricacies.

It's meant to be its own thing, like Discover the Dinosaurs or the Walking with Dinosaurs show, so I can't imagine they'll bring it to a place with so much else competing for guests' attention.

Also, the company putting on the exhibit likes money. Why put it in a place that people already pay for entry when they can bring it to a museum or convention center hall and charge admission?

Plus, I could easily spend two hours at the exhibition, but in a theme park setting where people are rushing to get to the next ride they'll just breeze on through and miss the intricacies.

It's meant to be its own thing, like Discover the Dinosaurs or the Walking with Dinosaurs show, so I can't imagine they'll bring it to a place with so much else competing for guests' attention.

It's more- why hasn't Universal just contracted a company to make some AA dinosaurs to put in outdoor paddocks? The ones on JPRA have survived the conditions outdoors for nearly 20 years with little maintenance (although they are in need of it now). Can't we get some animals behind cages interacting and doing stuff instead of a stagnant T-Rex standing behind an old Jeep?

It's more- why hasn't Universal just contracted a company to make some AA dinosaurs to put in outdoor paddocks? The ones on JPRA have survived the conditions outdoors for nearly 20 years with little maintenance (although they are in need of it now). Can't we get some animals behind cages interacting and doing stuff instead of a stagnant T-Rex standing behind an old Jeep?

It remains one of the bigger missed opportunities of Jurassic Park's theme park representation. Triceratops Encounter once kinda/sorta served that purpose, but in its absence, there's a void. It seems like a walking trail with AA dino exhibits should be a total no brainer addition, one that would add tons of energy to the land without the huge expenditure that a ride would require.

We got the raptor encounter. And to be honest, I think having a puppeteer work the dino is a heck of a lot more realistic feeling than animatronics. Nothing beats the human element, it just feels more believable, even though you totally know it's a guy in a suit. I think that's why Triceratops Encounter didn't last. This multi-million dollar dino was just uninteresting, with its feet clearly bolted to the floor, it never captured the imagination the way this new raptor suited puppeteer does. The fear in people's eyes while they approach for a selfie is incredible. It's unpredictable the way an AA isn't.

Now, if they expand the raptor encounter plot to include other puppeteered dinos, I'm all for it. Heck, I'd love to see Muppet-style compies behind a wall jumping and biting fake dragonflies. But if they stick some slow moving fake looking AAs in the sun it'll be thought of as "boring" and a waste of your time walk through just like the last one that was there, (despite the millions of dollars spent on it.)

The ones on JPRA have survived the conditions outdoors for nearly 20 years with little maintenance

The latex skins are repaired nearly weekly, replaced yearly, and repainted often. They do not fare well outside. Gary Goddard warned Universal not to have the dinosaurs outside, not only because they could be represented more realistically indoors where the lighting can be controlled, but also because the sun/heat/humidity would bake them to death.

I'm reminded of the old full size Iguanodon AA from the discovery river boats ride at Animal Kingdom. That ride was open for only like two years and the dinosaur's throat was split open every time I rode. They just couldn't keep the skins from tearing when exposed to the elements.

I love the raptor encounter and baby triceratops. I would love more like them, and they certainly have the room for it. But a permanent AA walk-through might not be what Universal's best at in my opinion.

They have.

...in Japan.

Should this ever happen I'm still rooting for turning JP in IoA into Monster Island. I need a Godzilla ride stat
I could totally buy that. I keep trying to think of any IPs with a tropical / rainforest / forest vibe happening. I could buy Monster Island fitting into that.

I could also really see Zelda fitting into that...

I could totally buy that. I keep trying to think of any IPs with a tropical / rainforest / forest vibe happening. I could buy Monster Island fitting into that.

I could also really see Zelda fitting into that...

Eh. Zelda rarely covers the tropical vibe. But mixing Kong with Godzilla and other giant monsters meshes well.

Status
Not open for further replies.