Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

I tracked down the source of my (incorrect) information to this article by the one, Jim Hill, back in 2007:

That's perhaps the most ironic part of this entire tale. I mean, here was the Mouse -- almost five years ago now -- trying to use Kuka arm technology to create a "Harry Potter" -themed attraction. So what happens? Not only does Disney lose the theme park rights to J.K. Rowling's characters to Universal, but then Universal goes on to lock up the theme park rights to Kuka's robotic arm technology for the next 10 years.
Monday MouseWatch : WDI hopes that its "Living Character Initiative" will make up for losing "Harry Potter" as well as Kuka's robotic arm technology
Disney was working on a Kuka Arm based attraction.....

for The Incredibles, not Potter.

I tracked down the source of my (incorrect) information to this article by the one, Jim Hill, back in 2007:

That's perhaps the most ironic part of this entire tale. I mean, here was the Mouse -- almost five years ago now -- trying to use Kuka arm technology to create a "Harry Potter" -themed attraction. So what happens? Not only does Disney lose the theme park rights to J.K. Rowling's characters to Universal, but then Universal goes on to lock up the theme park rights to Kuka's robotic arm technology for the next 10 years.
Monday MouseWatch : WDI hopes that its "Living Character Initiative" will make up for losing "Harry Potter" as well as Kuka's robotic arm technology

That's *possible* but people are then extrapolating that UC just took the plans. If that is true it'd be a TOTALLY different experience than FJ.

So the Millenium Falcon ride is a copy of mission space? Looks like the same centrifuge technology to create changes in gravity all while you hit buttons in the cockpit.

Here's a good aerial of the Falcon ride out in Disneyland. Give it 6 months or so and we'll get to roughly this point :lol:
7oGWAj1.jpg

That's *possible* but people are then extrapolating that UC just took the plans. If that is true it'd be a TOTALLY different experience than FJ.
Yea, Jim was saying they were working on an off-the-shelf Kuka attraction for The Incredibles when the offer for HP came in and then considered using the ride technology for that instead. I don't believe any actual plans for the ride were drawn up. I never thought Universal's Hogsmeade was based on anything Disney did. That's just ludicrous.

Less centrifuge, more carousel.

You shouldn't even feel the lateral motion.
Not too many rides I can think of have carousels like this. Forbidden Journey and the original Journey Into Imagination are the only ones that come to mind...

OMG, they totally have to name this ride something like Millennium Falcon Journey. We need Journey to always be in the name for these types of attractions. It's a tradition!

So I dont understand what they are building here. Can someone tell me the rides Star Wars land is supposed to be getting.

Im not much of a new Star Wars person and more less Disney but I am interested. This is like Potter all over gain for me. Im going to be so lost but get a fascinating opportunity to learn the story in the theme parks.

So I dont understand what they are building here. Can someone tell me the rides Star Wars land is supposed to be getting.

Im not much of a new Star Wars person and more less Disney but I am interested. This is like Potter all over gain for me. Im going to be so lost but get a fascinating opportunity to learn the story in the theme parks.
General overview is, the new land will include two new attractions and some shops and dining locations with cast members dressed as aliens/in character workers. Rumors of roaming AI driven droids inhabiting the area are also going around.

SWL-TSL-MAP-OVERVIEW_05.jpg

The two rides are:

Battle Escape Attraction (what I am calling it, not official name): An attraction featuring a battle between First Order stormtroopers and Resistance fighters using a trackless ride system (similar to Antartica at SeaWorld) that will mix live-action sets with screen-based backdrops to create an immersive experience.

Millennium Falcon Attraction: A ride where we get to pilot the Millennium Falcon ourselves.

150817102634-star-wars-disneyland-2-super-169.jpg

I haven't read through that other thread yet, but it's looking to me like the Millennium Falcon attraction will be like across between The Sum of All Thrills roller coaster simulator ride on a Kuka arm from Epcot's Innoventions - crossed with the screen portions of Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, where you're on a Kuka arm, on a ride vehicle, on a track, going around a circle of track. The biggest difference from those attractions being, we may have some say in what is happening on the ride, in real time, by controlling (at least some aspects) of the spaceship while riding it.

Anyone want to add to/correct anything I said? I'm still learning about these rides myself.

General overview is, the new land will include two new attractions and some shops and dining locations with cast members dressed as aliens/in character workers. Rumors of roaming AI driven droids inhabiting the area are also going around.

SWL-TSL-MAP-OVERVIEW_05.jpg

The two rides are:

Battle Escape Attraction (what I am calling it, not official name): An attraction featuring a battle between First Order stormtroopers and Resistance fighters using a trackless ride system (similar to Antartica at SeaWorld) that will mix live-action sets with screen-based backdrops to create an immersive experience.

Millennium Falcon Attraction: A ride where we get to pilot the Millennium Falcon ourselves.

150817102634-star-wars-disneyland-2-super-169.jpg

I haven't read through that other thread yet, but it's looking to me like the Millennium Falcon attraction will be like across between The Sum of All Thrills roller coaster simulator ride on a Kuka arm from Epcot's Innoventions - crossed with the screen portions of Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, where you're on a Kuka arm, on a ride vehicle, on a track, going around a circle of track. The biggest difference from those attractions being, we may have some say in what is happening on the ride, in real time, by controlling (at least some aspects) of the spaceship while riding it.

Anyone want to add to/correct anything I said? I'm still learning about these rides myself.
Thank you for your response. Very detailed and I actually have a better understanding now to follow along.

Martin said there were only 2 shown and it was only half of the building shown, so either the angle cuts off the other 2 carousels or they will be stacked on top for a very large building.