Attendance Tracker | Page 63 | Inside Universal Forums

Attendance Tracker

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Interesting story in the Washington Post today concerning huge drops in tourism to the United States due to ramifications of the Trump Travel Ban. Tour groups and travel agencies have been cancelling vacation trips to the tune of a 4.3 million projected drop in visitors to the US in 2017, amounting to an estimated $7.4 billion loss in revenue. The article emphasizes that travelers don't feel welcome and are upset at the prospect of phones & computers being checked. Nearly every country in the world, not just Muslim nations, except Russia, is reporting double digit percentage decreases in tourism to the USA. Even Canada's tourism to US numbers have dropped. All of the major US hotel chains are also reporting deceases ranging from 10 to 30% from last year's totals (foreign visitors). The article emphasizes that not only will this be a short term effect, but it has long term damage. This surely does not bode well for summer theme park attendance numbers. Perhaps one of the reasons Disney is offering so many discount vacation packages for the summer months.

Interesting story in the Washington Post today concerning huge drops in tourism to the United States due to ramifications of the Trump Travel Ban. Tour groups and travel agencies have been cancelling vacation trips to the tune of a 4.3 million projected drop in visitors to the US in 2017, amounting to an estimated $7.4 billion loss in revenue. The article emphasizes that travelers don't feel welcome and are upset at the prospect of phones & computers being checked. Nearly every country in the world, not just Muslim nations, except Russia, is reporting double digit percentage decreases in tourism to the USA. Even Canada's tourism to US numbers have dropped. All of the major US hotel chains are also reporting deceases ranging from 10 to 30% from last year's totals (foreign visitors). The article emphasizes that not only will this be a short term effect, but it has long term damage. This surely does not bode well for summer theme park attendance numbers. Perhaps one of the reasons Disney is offering so many discount vacation packages for the summer months.
Even Canadian school trips to the USA have all been canceled, and in general, there have been enough shenanigans at the border that it actually is reasonable to just say no to traveling to the US. Last month, a Canadian woman wanted to travel to Vermont for a day of shopping as she had done before, but she was not allowed entry at the border. seemingly because she was Muslim. Also, imagine you travel to the US and they ask for your phone, check your facebook and you just happen to have posted something critical of America's current fascistic regime ... like I said, there's been enough weirdness that it is not just paranoia any more.

This summer should be very telling.

I'll be honest, I've been having these thoughts as well. I've seen more deals to Orlando this year than I can ever remember. Even in June and July which have always been overly expensive.

I got this through my door today. The Animal Kingdom Lodge deal looks very tempting.

IMG_8647.JPG

I'll be honest, I've been having these thoughts as well. I've seen more deals to Orlando this year than I can ever remember. Even in June and July which have always been overly expensive.

I got this through my door today. The Animal Kingdom Lodge deal looks very tempting.

View attachment 4092
This is the first year Disney sent me a discount code for summer. It's always been the other times of the year. Last year they sent me a bunch of them for the spring. Turned out they had a soft spring in 2016, so that was an indicator.......The Wash Post article also said they expect 2018 to be even worst with over a 7 million drop in tourists. Supposedly Miami is one of the areas being hit the hardest.

Last edited:
This is the first year Disney sent me a discount code for summer. It's always been the other times of the year. Last year they sent me a bunch of them for the spring. Turned out they had a soft spring in 2016, so that was an indicator.

I think that speaks volumes. It's just such a weird time. Universal are in full swing, Disney finally got off their ass to do something and SeaWorld could potentially be on a comeback and then Trump strikes.

I think that speaks volumes. It's just such a weird time. Universal are in full swing, Disney finally got off their ass to do something and SeaWorld could potentially be on a comeback and then Trump strikes.
I'm sure Avatar will get the locals to flock to AK, but I have my doubts that it's going to fill up hotel rooms. Sure not looking like it will, at least summer season wise.....Those UK offers are really reasonable for WDW in the summer. Once again, it's an indicator of black clouds on the horizon.

I'm sure Avatar will get the locals to flock to AK, but I have my doubts that it's going to fill up hotel rooms. Sure not looking like it will, at least summer season wise.....Those UK offers are really reasonable for WDW in the summer. Once again, it's an indicator of black clouds on the horizon.

Personally, it's a tough one for me as I want to see people flocking to the parks so that the people in charge can see that their efforts are working and continue to do what they're doing but if it means cheap deals, then I'm going to take full advantage.

My plan is to return to Orlando next year for my 30th and to have one final last hurrah before starting a family.

That sounds terrible saying that :lol:

I'm conflicted by these great deals and a need to see other parts of the world and not keep coming back to Florida...I kind of think every 2 years for Florida for me, but 2019 is awkward as If I'm paying that much, I'll want to see Star Wars And it seems like that will be late 2019...2020 is too close to Disneys 50th and I want to see what they have to offer, so maybe 2021 is the next time I'll visit after this year.

FWIW, I think Disney will be impacted more (lots of hotel rooms, more expensive), but they're going to be less impacted because the company is so diversified and ESPN's losses will overshadow everything else.

Universal can offset the decreases with more domestic travel, but Comcast has relies more on their theme park growth to support their stock.

Reactions: Mad Dog

What does 5V mean? Too, does that include the flight and the food for 14 nights? I don't understand the tourist lingo.

Does anyone here know how Universal's hotel bookings are looking? Skubersky usually has a handle on this but he is seldom here anymore.

FWIW, I think Disney will be impacted more (lots of hotel rooms, more expensive), but they're going to be less impacted because the company is so diversified and ESPN's losses will overshadow everything else.

Universal can offset the decreases with more domestic travel, but Comcast has relies more on their theme park growth to support their stock.
SeaWorld is very vulnerable to this. By their own reporting, SeaWorld's attendance is one third foreign tourists.

Reactions: GadgetGuru
What does 5V mean? Does that AK offer include the flight? If not, why the mention of Manchester?

Doesn't anyone here have a handle on Universal's hotel bookings? Skubersky used to have that kind of info but rarely comes on anymore.

What does 5V mean? Too, does that include the flight and the food for 14 nights? I don't understand the tourist lingo.

Does anyone here know how Universal's hotel bookings are looking? Skubersky usually has a handle on this but he is seldom here anymore.

I think the V stands for stars as it's through Virgin. It includes flights too. As far as I can make out it includes hotel and food for 14 nights. Upon closer inspection it's based on a family of 4 so not such a great deal but I'm going to phone up and see what the deal would be for 2 adults.

The opinion I get from overseas isn't the privacy aspect but the stupidity of getting denied access while in the states or separated from your family/tourmates once you get there for indefinite amounts of time. Also the fact that CBP is storing people's passwords etc isn't going over so well even when they do it for US citizens.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeCamel