Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Pandora Pre-Opening Standpoint Check-in?

Overall I'm pretty excited by the land if only because I think it will look cool (already some of it looks pretty impressive) and offer some nice new areas to AK. I do feel like the IP is too late and over blown, but hey maybe the new movies will make it worth it. Really can't wait to see how this place feels at night.

I'm most excited for the boat ride and have high hopes for it. I love boat rides, and from the pictures and videos I've seen looks like I'll like it more. Plus we can take the little one on it.
The banshee ride I'm less than enthused. I for the most part can't stand simulators especially because I get motion sick. Hopefully it will surprise me.

Overall I'm quite excited for it. I'm kind of indifferent to the floating mountains and all the external theming but I think my opinion will change once I'm actually there. The food or merchandise that will be here doesn't interest in me the slightest. The rides is what I'm most excited about, I think they'll be great and exactly what AK needs.

It's been a long time coming but I'm happy it's finally about to open and I'm curious to see how much it lives up to the hype.

I'm not a fan of the Avatar movie, but I think the land is going to be awesome. While I'm not thrilled they shoehorned the IP into Animal Kingdom (DHS would've made more sense to me), at least it's being done VERY well and in a way that won't affect the park in a negative way. The rides seem to be decent choices, even though I would have preferred the version of the land that included the coaster...3 rides instead of just 2.

I'm not a fan of the Avatar movie, but I think the land is going to be awesome. While I'm not thrilled they shoehorned the IP into Animal Kingdom (DHS would've made more sense to me), at least it's being done VERY well and in a way that won't affect the park in a negative way. The rides seem to be decent choices, even though I would have preferred the version of the land that included the coaster...3 rides instead of just 2.

I think it fits into AK better than any where else. Maybe if the sequels are a huge success, there could be potential for expansion.

My thoughts about the project is it will be a great addition to an under invested park and I'm happy to see one of my favorite parks getting the love it needs. I think the theme of conservation fits into AK.

I don't think this project will dramatically increase visitors to the resort generally but will definitely cannibalize attendance at HS and to a lesser extent Epcot.

While the land is pretty, it's completely made up of plants and rocks. The "Floating Mountains" are just a Rock Arch to me. Because of the dense foliage, the forced perspective "mountains" doesn't work and the waterfalls look like small streams to me. There is no view from a distance to make things seem bigger than they are.

I'm excited for both attractions and I think Flight of Passage will be an evolution for flight simulators. And the AA in the River Journey will be unlike anything anyone has seen.

Overall I'm excited for this project but I will disagree with any comment that this is somehow more immersive than Diagon Alley. Plants and rocks will never be able to compete with the level detail and emotional attachment that is around every corner in Diagon. That being said, I don't think the two projects need to be compared like that.

The land has certainly grown on me over time. I would never has guessed when it was announced that I'd sign for AP previews and make a special trip to see it. I find it hard to give a firm stance without experiencing it. Everything certainly looks good, nothing looks on the level of Dinoland theming. But it all hinges on the rides for me. I really hope Flight of Passage is a home run. But we simply don't know yet. I'm not going to hold the land to Diagon levels of immersive and depth, because the IP simply doesn't match up to Potter. I'll be trying the green beer when I go, and maybe a bowl. Fingers crossed for it work out.

I honestly think its going to exceed expectations in land, environment, theme, technology etc. I'm really excited for it. If I was to go out on a limb and make a bold and completely wild guess about something we will be talking about in a month. It'd be the lands two biggest shortcomings is its small and the boat ride while "pretty" is extremely boring.

I honestly think its going to exceed expectations in land, environment, theme, technology etc. I'm really excited for it. If I was to go out on a limb and make a bold and completely wild guess about something we will be talking about in a month. It'd be the lands two biggest shortcomings is its small and the boat ride while "pretty" is extremely boring.

I'm deeply concerned that the clips we've seen are about the extent of the boat ride, save for the shaman sitting and singing.

I'm deeply concerned that the clips we've seen are about the extent of the boat ride, save for the shaman sitting and singing.

I feel the exact same way but I'm hoping I'm very wrong. The boat ride was something I was looking forward to a lot.

totally agree

I think the rides will be good and provide much needed capacity when it rains. Food looks fine to great and I bet it gets tweaked over the next few months to one of Disney's better counter service locations. The app based ordering will be a turning point in parks and lots of locations will start using it (this might be Pandora's biggest legacy). The drinks lack logic or appeal; simple usually equals better. I expect the interactive and glowing plants to be overrated and will lead to a lot of "that's it?" comments. Merch won't move like Disney hopes.

I've always been more interested in the "outside the berm" aspects and impacts of the land. I don't think this will hit Disney's targets and we'll see that through delayed or canceled projects that people swear are green lit now. I don't think guests will make two trips to see this land (one during the day and one at night) and DAK shifts from an EMH to early afternoon park to a late afternoon to closure/EMH park due to RoL and Disney trying to sell the nighttime effects. DHS will take an attendance and profit hit but I think Disney's expecting this. I think Pandora will be a mixed bag of success and disappointments for Disney, some of which are design related, some of which are self inflicted, and some of which are due to James Cameron.

The Usual Suspects will come out and decry this better than anything done so far and specifically target Harry Potter (similar to praise for LeFou's Brew and New Fantasyland over Butterbeer and Diagon Alley). Due to the sheer number of AP's and DVC there will be lines to get into the land initially but this will all but disappear over the summer months (see Jock's and Trader Sam's for examples). I think general consensus will fall on "it looks nice, rides are fine, lacks soul" and the general public will only connect to it on a "alien planet" level. This might sound ok initially until you remember Disney's forking over money to Fox for something guests will mentally throw away.

In the end Disney's "Potter Swatter" never materialized due to factors in and out of their control.

...The app based ordering will be a turning point in parks and lots of locations will start using it (this might be Pandora's biggest legacy).

...I think general consensus will fall on "it looks nice, rides are fine, lacks soul"....

Granted the scale and investments of the project aren't remotely similar, but it's really interesting to me that what you said here can be said for both major additions for 2017 (Pandora and Fallon). Two nuggets of really good ideas, buried in a whole pile of mediocre. I have hope for Star Wars and Nintendo, but I really hope someone can strike gold with a property outside of Potter. We already know Fast and Furious is utter crap, and who knows what else substantial will truly come for Disney.

I visit DAK about once a year (and I have a pass), even though I have a bunch of friends that work there who would hook me up with re-ads any time I want. This will make me make my annual visit and if it's decent, I might visit again. DAK is a park I simultaneously love for its details and hate for its lack of big picture planning and attractions along with the simultaneous feel of being a totally artificial version of nature. I think Avatar will fit in perfectly with its forced, artificial environment and lackluster attractions. All of DAK's history is being over budget and under delivering.

To me i dont know how you can look at this picture and say this looks "meh" (another internet word that's overplayed)
there is some incredible artistic creativity but to each their own. Me personally i think this blows carsland away artistically. I compared it to carsland because both environments are physical settings/environments not buildings
1400x-1.jpg