Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 393 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, I know - but it was worth the read.

Remember 'Avatar'? Disney sure hopes you do

It's completely valid to ask why Disney pumped so much money into one of the most ridiculously overblown films of all time. They would do well to just play up the wildlife side of it (especially being in Animal Kingdom) instead of the nonsensical story. But I'm not worried about it for Disney. I can't imagine what the attendance will be like for Star Wars.

Reactions: Quint
Theatre B was running today. Theatre C was down today.

CM at the attraction said FOP was running well today, no downtime! Also confirmed that all the theatres are exactly the same (CM's words).

Eh.. in that they're supposed to be. At Body Wars no one trusted vehicle 4 and I once had vehicle 1 refuse to return to Home position for unload and instead keep listing to the side and then jerking back in an attempt to return.. the guests weren't happy. Eventually hydraulics had to be cut to get it down. Similarly at Forbidden Journey while the 42 vehicles are mostly the same (that number coul be off, just the one that sounds right in my head at 3am) there are a few that are kinda ghetto.

Also - they still doing FP via paper ticket at the start of the preview window? Or were people finally allowed to stand in line?

Reactions: Shrunkenned
Dear God please not another 10 pages on the relevancy of Avatar... it's built, it's beautiful and the rides are awesome, with or without an appreciation of the films... let's move on please.

Well one ride is awesome.. the other...? Meh.

Read elsewhere that the River Journey queue "comes to life at night" as the woven nonsense is made by the Navi and meants to depict the route of the river through the valley and then at night lights on the structure depict the movement of the animals.

However, midday in the bright sun it's not very attractive, doesn't do much for the heat other than get you out of direct sunlight, and seems to have very little to look at.

That said, I'm supposed to go back today - and i guess this time i'll photograph the Navi queue and surrounding area and anything else i can spot that was added between the first and last cast preview. Any requests for stuff we've heard about but not seen yet?

Reactions: SeventyOne
wasn't there something about a downed helicopter in a ravine? I haven't seen pictures of that...if it's true.

Also I re-watched Avatar in 3D this past weekend. That movie is still very entertaining, and the special effects are still amazing despite looking a "little" dated. It's kind of amazing the amount of "hate" it gets around here and other parts of the internet. I really think a lot of them stems from it's success. It's definitely not the greatest film of all time, but it's perfectly serviceable as popcorn entertainment. The Humans vs Nature message is still a powerful one, regardless how you feel about it. The film does have some social commentary.

Personally, I'd rather watch Avatar again then any of the Transformers or Fast and Furious Movies....It's not like Universal has picked the most intelligent movie properties to showcase at their parks. I realize there are 8 (or 9?) F&F movies, and I have no idea how many TF movies, but that doesn't make the IP exactly everyone's cup of tea. Just some food for thought to all the "Avatar sucks" folks.

It's kind of amazing the amount of "hate" it gets around here and other parts of the internet. I really think a lot of them stems from it's success. It's definitely not the greatest film of all time, but it's perfectly serviceable as popcorn entertainment. The Humans vs Nature message is still a powerful one, regardless how you feel about it. The film does have some social commentary.

I think you answered your own question. If the film didn't feel like a ham-fisted remake of Ferngully/Pocahontas, I imagine it would be better remembered just for its special effects, like, say, T:2.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
So my preview finally showed up. But it's specifically a River Journey FP, not the land preview.

Screenshot_20170512-100028_zps5gv0kbpy.png

So my preview finally showed up. But it's specifically a River Journey FP, not the land preview.

Screenshot_20170512-100028_zps5gv0kbpy.png
That is your entry into the land. It only looks like a regular fastpass, but it is not. The email should have been sent to you that says:

• Entry credentials will look similar to a FastPass+ entitlement, however it will only grant entry to the land and does not apply to any specific attractions within the area.
You will be handed a paper pass to Flight of Passage (with a very short ride time window) upon arrival at your designated time. Also, be sure to arrive at the time you reserved and NOT the time posted in the app, as that is not accurate.

Also, be sure to have a valid ID and just to be safe, bring a printed copy of your reservation time with confirmation number from when you signed up.

They're using the MyMagic+ system to make this work, but it's not really set up for it, that's why it looks confusing.

EDIT: Also, because this is not a real FastPass, you can still reserve 3 additional (real) Fastpasses for the day and this one is extra.

Full email to prepare for your adventure:

Last edited:
Reactions: jtsalien
I think a user in the Facebook group "I'm So Disney" said it all best:

AP Pandora previews (for those that obtained slots a few weeks ago during the sign up period) begin tomorrow. Your preview entry credential will be automatically coded into your MDE account and access to Pandora is as simple as scanning your Band or AP card. The FP on your MDE for Na'vi River is not an actual FP. It looks like a fastpass, but it is your preview entry credential specific to your MDE account. Bring your photo ID that corresponds with your AP. Each guest will be given paper FPs for Flight of Passage with a very short entry window. You will have a hard time being let into the attraction if you grossly miss the window, which I don't think anyone will let happen. You will not be admitted to the FP queue without the paper Fastpass. Na'vi River will have shorter waits. Take some time to look around the Planet. There is a lot to look at. Be extremely patient when you get in line for Flight of Passage. Remember it is still in testing and there could be breakdowns or delays. ECVs are not permitted in the ride queue, and the queue path is very long, winding up around the mountain outside and then into the caves and the deep subterranean headquarters inside. Be patient while waiting to load into the flight chambers....​

Reactions: jtsalien
AK is parking all of the main lots and using every nook and cranny even the white bar sections at the ends of rows - probably in rehearsal for tomorrow. AK cast has to park at MK and get bussed over tomorrow.

AK is parking all of the main lots and using every nook and cranny even the white bar sections at the ends of rows - probably in rehearsal for tomorrow. AK cast has to park at MK and get bussed over tomorrow.
Sooooo, you're saying I should plan on coming an hour earlier than I was?

people keep talking about the avatar movies but remember that avatar 2 was suppose to come out last year and 3 was suppose to be this year.So really disney messed up by thinking Cameron would be done on time with his movies but i think that never happens.

Reactions: giant4203
wasn't there something about a downed helicopter in a ravine? I haven't seen pictures of that...if it's true.

Also I re-watched Avatar in 3D this past weekend. That movie is still very entertaining, and the special effects are still amazing despite looking a "little" dated. It's kind of amazing the amount of "hate" it gets around here and other parts of the internet. I really think a lot of them stems from it's success. It's definitely not the greatest film of all time, but it's perfectly serviceable as popcorn entertainment. The Humans vs Nature message is still a powerful one, regardless how you feel about it. The film does have some social commentary.

Personally, I'd rather watch Avatar again then any of the Transformers or Fast and Furious Movies....It's not like Universal has picked the most intelligent movie properties to showcase at their parks. I realize there are 8 (or 9?) F&F movies, and I have no idea how many TF movies, but that doesn't make the IP exactly everyone's cup of tea. Just some food for thought to all the "Avatar sucks" folks.

Good points.

Fast and Furious from 5 onward is a damn treasure. I hate movies like the Expendables and over the top action movies... but for some reason I can't stop watching the Fast & Furious movies. 8 was a great time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.