Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 394 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you answered your own question. If the film didn't feel like a ham-fisted remake of Ferngully/Pocahontas, I imagine it would be better remembered just for its special effects, like, say, T:2.

No, I'd say you missed my point completely. Which was, that it's just like any other popcorn flick, but it actually has some sort of moral compass/social conscience. It's not completely brain dead entertainment like those race car heist / robot movies.

Avatar may not be "relevant" in pop culture as Fast/Furious or Transformers, but it also hasn't had multiple sequels on a regular basis.

You can choose to compare it to Dances with Wolves or whatever, but that doesn't mean it has any less of a social message. It's not brain bending Sci-Fi, but it still has a brain.

also just a side note that doesn't mean much...I heard my co-workers talking about the new park, and they all sounded really excited...the conversation basically went..."oh man, I loved that movie Avatar, gotta watch it again before I go to the new park"...so it's quite possible the "mainstream" public still like the franchise, it's just not accepted in mass by the "geek" community.

I think this park is going to do just fine...

No, I'd say you missed my point completely. Which was, that it's just like any other popcorn flick, but it actually has some sort of moral compass/social conscience. It's not completely brain dead entertainment like those race car heist / robot movies.

Avatar may not be "relevant" in pop culture as Fast/Furious or Transformers, but it also hasn't had multiple sequels on a regular basis.

You can choose to compare it to Dances with Wolves or whatever, but that doesn't mean it has any less of a social message. It's not brain bending Sci-Fi, but it still has a brain.

We're also talking about Fast/Furious and TF as if they were $700-$800 million dollar additions to the park.

Either way.... when Disney and Cameron got together, Disney had every reason to think that this land would open with a sequel or two already out. It's Cameron's fault that's not the case. Only thing Disney can do is hope people visit and meet their expectations.

We're also talking about Fast/Furious and TF as if they were $700-$800 million dollar additions to the park.

Either way.... when Disney and Cameron got together, Disney had every reason to think that this land would open with a sequel or two already out. It's Cameron's fault that's not the case. Only thing Disney can do is hope people visit and meet their expectations.

that's true..I was just pointing out the double standard I've seen online from people upset with Disney's choice of IP.

Potter/Simpsons/Suess/Marvel and soon Nintendo, are all amazing properties...but it's not all that great.

that's true..I was just pointing out the double standard I've seen online from people upset with Disney's choice of IP.

Potter/Simpsons/Suess/Marvel and soon Nintendo, are all amazing properties...but it's not all that great.

Well the difference between those IP's and Avatar is, of course, longevity and staying power. There's a discussion somewhere in these 394 pages where we discuss the differences on viewpoints from when this was announced to now. If one sequel was out, I'd think this thread would have a lot loss relevancy discussions. :lol:

yes, I agree....it's gonna be really interesting when Avatar 2 comes out...one day in next decade or two.

I'm pretty sure we will have flying cars before that.

I will say I'm hearing "Tokyo Disney Sea level of theming" "better then Harry Potter" "better then cars land" ... so people are enjoying it, just for the atmosphere.

I will say I'm hearing "Tokyo Disney Sea level of theming" "better then Harry Potter" "better then cars land" ... so people are enjoying it, just for the atmosphere.
It's Rocks and Trees. It doesn't hold a candle to the level of story telling that is in every nook and cranny of Harry Potter. But it is stunningly beautiful. And I hope both Disney and Universal design lands to this detail from here on out. I just wish there wasn't so much wasted space in this land with nothing to do but walk around and look at rocks and trees.

I'll be curious to see if this is a flash in the pan (like so many tings have been lately) or if it sustains this level of interest for the summer/rest of the year. Disney is really good on hyping these things and they get packed with fans (at first) then taper off a lot. I think it will be an overall bump for AK, but I don't foresee this "parking lot at capacity" being a long term thing.

Last edited:
It's Rocks and Trees. It doesn't hold a candle to the level of story telling that is in every nook and cranny of Harry Potter. But it is stunningly beautiful. And I hope both Disney and Universal design lands to this detail from here on out. I just wish there wasn't so much wasted space in this land with nothing to do but walk around and look at rocks and trees.

I don't disagree. The wizarding world is one of my favourite things. But I definitely think pandora looks amazing and far more highly themed then just rocks and trees, very disenguous to infer otherwise. It's very transportive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andysol and Jones14
Status
Not open for further replies.