Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 396 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shutterbuttons 2.0

That's awesome. I've been wondering how long it would take for something like this to make it into the parks. I looked at something similar when I got married as a wedding cake topper but for my wife and I, it was coming in about $500 and that was only 2 years ago, its ridiculous how quickly the price can drop in technology.

Reactions: LieutLaww
Disney has clearly shown Universal quality will always strive over quantity of additions. The immense details of Pandora is highly impressive while all universal can do is build 3d screen simulators with half finished farcades (ahem Fallon) or build a simple water park and over hype enthusiasts to think it is the best thing ever

Disney has clearly shown Universal quality will always strive over quantity of additions. The immense details of Pandora is highly impressive while all universal can do is build 3d screen simulators with half finished farcades (ahem Fallon) or build a simple water park and over hype enthusiasts to think it is the best thing ever
It's a state of the art $500 million water park.

Reactions: Joel and Mad Dog
I'd hesitate to bash Uni for their use of 3D simulators without acknowledging that Disney's newest headliner is a 3D simulator. With that said, Disney has been smarter about their implementation, spreading them between physical rides over longer stretches of time.

Simulators aren't inherently bad; I just got off Flight of Passage a few hours ago, and my initial thoughts on the attraction are that it's the best ride in Orlando and that they figured out how to reinvent the simulator into something more than the sum of its parts.

Uni's problem is not screens; it's that they don't use them in creative ways. Disney's is, of course, economic efficiency and pulling a full experience out of smaller budgets, but in Avatar's case, they built a land that's actually worth what it cost (based on my own personal experience today).

I'd hesitate to bash Uni for their use of 3D simulators without acknowledging that Disney's newest headliner is a 3D simulator. With that said, Disney has been smarter about their implementation, spreading them between physical rides over longer stretches of time.

Simulators aren't inherently bad; I just got off Flight of Passage a few hours ago, and my initial thoughts on the attraction are that it's the best ride in Orlando and that they figured out how to reinvent the simulator into something more than the sum of its parts.

Uni's problem is not screens; it's that they don't use them in creative ways. Disney's is, of course, economic efficiency and pulling a full experience out of smaller budgets, but in Avatar's case, they built a land that's actually worth what it cost (based on my own personal experience today).
Disney will never see a ROI on this $$$BILLION$$$ theme park land.

Particularly after Avatar 2 dies an embarrassing death at the box office.

Last estimates plut Pandora at $700m, which is still way over budget and more than Hogsmeade, Diagon, and HE combined.

Mind if I ask, but how much was the budget for Hogwarts Express?

They better sell a lot of Butterbeer.

Oh, wait....

The lesson of the day.. Don't. Go with a lower quality. For Joe's IP.

Meanwhile, wishing @AliciaStella the best of luck today as she goes in!

Disney will never see a ROI on this $$$BILLION$$$ theme park land.

Particularly after Avatar 2 dies an embarrassing death at the box office.
And you say this based on...? It might not have as strong of an impact on Animal Kingdom as Potter, but Animal Kingdom pre-Pandora drew more guests per year already than IoA does now. They don't need it to keep the doors open (which Uni absolutely did). They need it to be successful, and by all accounts it's turning out to be a great product. Great products make money.

On the movie front, Cameron's not known for his failures. He's known for announcing something that everyone makes fun of for a while, and then it destroys box office records.

Avatar is far overbudget for an IP that has become dated from somewhat controversy that the script takes into the problem.

That said, I see that the RoI will not be made as it stands now.

When the sequels? Maybe, but that would be a too late situation in a sense for the parks.

Some people just need to admit that they have a preference for Disney. It's completely and totally fine to prefer one or the other. This doesn't have to be a Disney V. Uni thing. It isn't an ultimate fight to the end. Neither is superior to the other in all ways. They both do what they do well. That's just my opinion though.

I'm looking forward to visiting Disney and Universal next month and I'll have fun at both Potter and Avatar.

Waiting in line for Flight of Passage now.

Quick thoughts:

Satuli is great. Much preferred the protein bowls, which wife had. I had cheeseburger pods. Tasted like a bao bun hot pocket. Getting bowl next time.

River Journey is beautiful, calm and wonderful use of tech and lighting - just feels like it's missing something to connect with.

Status
Not open for further replies.