Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Shrek 4D - Hollywood

USH was never master planned to be a theme park.

As for Fallon coming to USH in the Shrek 4D space? It fits the space sure but I wouldn't hold my breath. If it were going in that space I would expect the New York façades to be removed in favor of 30 Rockefeller Plaza which would probably fit better with Universal Boulevard's 1930s Art Deco theme. That being said, it's pretty unlikely it is Fallon. Expect no major exterior changes outside of a marquee change and a slight repaint.

USH was never master planned to be a theme park.

As for Fallon coming to USH in the Shrek 4D space? It fits the space sure but I wouldn't hold my breath. If it were going in that space I would expect the New York façades to be removed in favor of 30 Rockefeller Plaza which would probably fit better with Universal Boulevard's 1930s Art Deco theme. That being said, it's pretty unlikely it is Fallon. Expect no major exterior changes outside of a marquee change and a slight repaint.

Indeed. Universal, was never really a theme park. And yet, Comcast/UPR has made the effort through the past five years to renovate the park to accomodate Hogsmeade, but to make it a "Theme" park.

Universal Blvd, Springfield, Minion Way, Universal Plaza, and Hogsmeade have shaped the Upper Lot to become some of the best themed environments in any park yet. They improved on the Orlando Springfield and Despicable Me to become fully unique and intricate environments; fixed elements of Hogsmeade from previous versions, and that Universal Blvd is a great entrance land for any of the domestic Universal Parks yet.

Universal Studios Hollywood has shown massive improvement, and looking back from the late 2000's, it's night and day.

That said, the Shrek 4D replacement seems to be potentially a three-way race. Whatever replaces Shrek 4D will have to continue the standard made and that it will thematically fit in more smoothly with The Wizarding World of Harry Potter right up to it.

As much as I hate Universal's obsession with lazy simulator rides, is there any expectation that Shrek's replacement will be anything but?

They just spent a lot of time and money to build Shrek a new queue. A queue that could very easily carry a King Fu Panda theme.

Universal needs to fix its glut of simulators. When people complain about screen rides at Universal, 9 times out of 10, they're complaining about 4D simulator attractions. But, Shrek's recent rebuild probably means w'll be swapping one 4D ride for another.

As much as I hate Universal's obsession with lazy simulator rides, is there any expectation that Shrek's replacement will be anything but?

The expectation is a new 3d show in a rethemed theater ASSUMING this is UHS's 2018 attraction. Realistically they'd need a good year and a half to remove the seats and install a new ride system if they wanted to put Fallon here and make it the park's 2019 ride, but I am thinking SLOP will be 2019.

I would love it if Shrek's replacement is a dark ride. Unlike Orlando we don't have ET, Cat in the Hat, or Men in Black. We are lacking family friendly dark ride department.

The expectation is a new 3d show in a rethemed theater ASSUMING this is UHS's 2018 attraction. Realistically they'd need a good year and a half to remove the seats and install a new ride system if they wanted to put Fallon here and make it the park's 2019 ride, but I am thinking SLOP will be 2019.

Considering the structural issues Fallon has with its own building in USF, this would also necessitate a total tear down/rebuild of the building. KFP, assuming it's a pretty sparse redo, will be magnitudes cheaper.

None whatsoever. Universal wouldn't license a show from a competing chain.

That's not entirely true. Universal has done this before in the past. The same film that was used for Shrek 4D was also shown at Warner Bros. Movie World and Movie Park Germany for MANY years. Those parks are no more competitors than MotionGate.

With that said, Kung Fu Panda is only rumored at this point. It could be something different for all we know. But MotionGate does use the same KFP meet and greet character costume that Universal just started using. I find that interesting.

Last edited:
And there was a Sesame Street 4D show at Universal Japan, SeaWorld San Diego, and both Busch Gardens parks. The only real difference is that both Shrek and Sesame Street debuted at their respective Universal parks first.

That's not entirely true. Universal has done this before in the past. The same film that was used for Shrek 4D was also shown at Warner Bros. Movie World and Movie Park Germany for MANY years. Those parks are no more competitors than MotionGate.

With that said, Kung Fu Panda is only rumored at this point. It could be something different for all we know. But MotionGate does use the same KFP meet and greet character costume that Universal just started using. I find that interesting.

After doing research, Unstoppable Awesomeness at Motiongate in Dubai, is a motion simulator, created in tandem with SimWorks, as the ride has a four minute duration, with the theater having two platforms that seats twelve (Edit: after getting a better image, it's five rows of five stats, rolling to 25 people per platform).

If they were to do that, it wouldn't have as much capacity as per Say, Fallon; which holds a lot more than that.

Attendance is sooooo bad in those parks it's possible no one has actually rode it yet. ;)

You know, after talking with Andrew Hyde on Saturday, he and I both agreed to the fact that DPR did miss out on the opportunity for having their parks entirely indoors. I would of thought, that they would've done that from the get-go due to the heat of Dubai.

I'll speak of it in a later time, but if I were Universal; I'd have the second gate of USH (if they do that), it needs to be indoors. But that's not pertaining to Shrek 4D and the potential replacement.

You know, after talking with Andrew Hyde on Saturday, he and I both agreed to the fact that DPR did miss out on the opportunity for having their parks entirely indoors. I would of thought, that they would've done that from the get-go due to the heat of Dubai.

I'll speak of it in a later time, but if I were Universal; I'd have the second gate of USH (if they do that), it needs to be indoors. But that's not pertaining to Shrek 4D and the potential replacement.

I think it should be outdoors just add couple water rides and the crowds will be happy .

I would expect Shrek 4D to not have a huge change mainly because this looks like a 2018 attraction. Any dark ride or complete removal of a building would require at least 2 years to finish. With projectors going on top of Shrek's building for the Hogwarts Projection Mapping...this building isn't getting touched. The painted wall of trees inside Hogsmead will stay...unfortunately.

I would have liked the idea of Shrek building being demolished along with Cartooniversal. It almost would give a perfect footprint for a dark ride. But...we can only dream...