Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

I don't think Express fits Volcano Bay. I said that, loud and clear. I wasn't meaning that to comment on resort guests. And that I would assume, this won't affect Universal Studios Florida or Islands, and that those with Express at resort hotels will have express for those two parks.

I wasn't trying to mean it in a bad thing.

Volcano Bay, was built with Tapu Tapu directly in mind. Getting rid of something that could create much longer lines in the process makes sense, atleast; until they figure something out to balance the issues going on as of now.

I agree with you. My point though, why didn't Universal management figure this out first? This was predictable.

"Strong" might be pushing it a bit. One only has to "swim" 5-10 feet and you are at the shallow end and staircase. Even a dog paddle would get you there quite easily.

That's what the warning sign recommends. Saw a few people have issues because they either ignored it or thought nothing of it. Strong may be the wrong word, but dog paddle is too. I'd say moderate swimmer.

You're dropping into a 10 foot pool, with the force of the water from the slide coming down on you. If you think you can swim back up to the surface, and up about 8 feet to the stairs... you can do it.

But if you're asking about a life vest, I'd skip it.

Anyone else notice that they are not offering express passes at all for volcano bay.Was there any news on if they will be put back up for sale?

I'm uncontrollably happy about this, in a sense.

Express, should not at all be at a waterpark; and with the park being built with Tapu Tapu in mind, this should help them out insanely well.

Is it possible that Express sold out in advance?

Could this be a part of the adjustment period in that they could be seeing it best to sell Express at the park only (I mean, is advance sales a pain if folks demand refunds when the day they picked turns out to be a washout)?

I think someone pointed out that it first looked like deluxe guest had VB Express, but that changed before the park opened

To me, it just sounds like UNI is trying to work things out.

That's what the warning sign recommends. Saw a few people have issues because they either ignored it or thought nothing of it. Strong may be the wrong word, but dog paddle is too. I'd say moderate swimmer.

You're dropping into a 10 foot pool, with the force of the water from the slide coming down on you. If you think you can swim back up to the surface, and up about 8 feet to the stairs... you can do it.

But if you're asking about a life vest, I'd skip it.
So kind of like W&W's Storm, though probably not quite as bad, since those exit pools were small and the way the water fell it was almost like a whirlpool.

I'm hearing word the queueless response from guests is poor. That's all I can share now.
I think we have to wait a few weeks before making a verdict on virtual queuing. Of course people will be mad if they had nothing to do for 3-4 hours!

I think that what they should do is to allow you to queue two or three rides at a time.
That would be great but it would really only make waits longer at every attraction. I don't think an opening weekend/ busy holiday weekend is the time to judge the performance of the system. Perhaps they could have delayed the opening another week or two but that ship has sailed. It's open, there will be adjustments, I'm not worried.

I guess the question is: why didn't ops see this coming? I don't see how they can continue the Virtual Queue system. It's not working at all. What's sad is that the investment they put into this could've gone to making the park better themed.

I guess the question is: why didn't ops see this coming? I don't see how they can continue the Virtual Queue system. It's not working at all. What's sad is that the investment they put into this could've gone to making the park better themed.
I wouldn't say it's not working at all. It's working ok for one of the busiest weekends of the year. The pars just need adjusted for through put. It sounds like the system is over quoting waits which is simple to adjust once more data comes in.

And ops did see this coming. Construction set backs in the last 2 months are the cause of most of the issues. That's not a systemic problem going forward. There is just a little catching up.

Has there been any noticeable difference in wait times at the other two parks now that many guests are hanging out in Volcano Bay?
Crowd levels at both parks, on Friday & Saturday, were very normal for a Memorial Day weekend, according to the TP calendar and subsequent stand by times. Looks like no substantial effect one way or another. But with VB being open, that would translate into more guests for the entire resort. So, it appears, VB didn't take attendance away from the parks.

I wouldn't say it's not working at all. It's working ok for one of the busiest weekends of the year. The pars just need adjusted for through put. It sounds like the system is over quoting waits which is simple to adjust once more data comes in.

And ops did see this coming. Construction set backs in the last 2 months are the cause of most of the issues. That's not a systemic problem going forward. There is just a little catching up.
Yes....I also recall Dave (Disneyhead) telling us months ago that the construction on the Volcano was behind and it was going to cause trickle down issues with getting the other parts of the park finished in time......Sorry for the double post, but this Dark ride lover post popped up in the interim after I had already posted my previous post, and since I'm not tech savvy this is the way it comes out. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I don't think it's "not working", I think largely it's a new system guests are unfamiliar with and unwilling to adapt, and the fact that a lot of people can't grasp the concept of a queue-less line STILL MEANS THERE IS A WAIT BUT YOU'RE NOT DOING IT STANDING ON CONCRETE IN THE SUN.

People throw temper tantrums when Facebook changes their layout, for crying out loud.

I wonder if something closer to a fp+ system could work, though? Where when you get in the park, your tapu tapu is preloaded with the aqua coaster but then you could schedule a specific return time for, say, 2 other rides in other tiers at a kiosk or from the band itself? The first screen tells you the time you're able to ride the Coaster (predetermined by your entry time in to the park). Second asks you to choose a ride between like honu ika moana, the volcano body slides, oh yeah/oh no. Third lets you pick between the mat racers, etc?

The biggest problem that I'm seeing is that somehow people have confused queue-less to mean no wait. Even on this board there are people who think Tapu is supposed to make it so the waits are shorter. That never was how it is, and I think a lot of the dissatisfaction is in people not understanding that just because there isn't a physical line doesn't mean you don't have to wait. So because people don't understand, that makes them mad. Now some of that falls on Universal for not accurately explaining how it works in advance, and at the park. But some just falls on people not understanding simple things. Well that and going to a brand new water park on Memorial Day and not expecting lines. I think a lot of this gets sorted out with guest and ops experience.

Maybe getting the Water coaster and Volcano slides on a different system might help too. I wonder if the Tapu can handle two separate queue systems at the same time? If so, just come up with a system that explains that you can wait in a group A line and a group B line at the same time and it should help satisfaction a bunch.

Yeah, I don't think it's "not working", I think largely it's a new system guests are unfamiliar with and unwilling to adapt, and the fact that a lot of people can't grasp the concept of a queue-less line STILL MEANS THERE IS A WAIT BUT YOU'RE NOT DOING IT STANDING ON CONCRETE IN THE SUN.

People throw temper tantrums when Facebook changes their layout, for crying out loud.

I wonder if something closer to a fp+ system could work, though? Where when you get in the park, your tapu tapu is preloaded with the aqua coaster but then you could schedule a specific return time for, say, 2 other rides in other tiers at a kiosk or from the band itself? The first screen tells you the time you're able to ride the Coaster (predetermined by your entry time in to the park). Second asks you to choose a ride between like honu ika moana, the volcano body slides, oh yeah/oh no. Third lets you pick between the mat racers, etc?

lol posting the same thoughta at the same time.

One of the things I noticed, and this was from Bio; is that the park has throughout sprinklers that are specifically made for the purpose of keeping the concrete more or less cooler than it is in the heat.

Now, odds are you can't do that entirely with climbing up for structures, but they could apply something in the coming weeks to help out with the issue of standing in the lines.

I honestly think, that Express should not return. And that in the coming weeks, they are going to adjust and refine multiple aspects of the park, as we have not hit the core summer crowds yet. Sure, Memorial Weekend is large, but I am not going to say they failed just by the issues from this weekend. And to be honest, that Tapu Tapu does stay in the long haul for the park.

That would be great but it would really only make waits longer at every attraction. I don't think an opening weekend/ busy holiday weekend is the time to judge the performance of the system. Perhaps they could have delayed the opening another week or two but that ship has sailed. It's open, there will be adjustments, I'm not worried.
Good point, it's a severe stress test immediately, and as others have mentioned, it probably is also problematic because people are not use to it. Will be interesting to see how it all fares in September once off-season begins.

Also, what is the general opinion of the aqua coaster so far? Judging by POVs, it looks like a great thrilling ride, though I remember we were speculating about show scenes etc. and well, seems like it si rather barebones.

Anyway, I am hoping to go in September just once, can't afford to add it to my annual pass unfortunately.