Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 278 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
They make good video games, but as has been debated here endlessly - people don't go to theme parks for video games. They go for attractions.

Will Nintendo make good attractions?

Nintendo isn't making the attractions, universal is. This is where they have the chance to really shine at 100% budget- or do it 90% of the way like the latest 2 attractions (kong and Fallon)

NIntendo is perfect for attractions. It's really a better attraction IP than Potter.

How?

While doing the Mario Cart thing sounds fun.. what about the reality?

The reality that says they can't make Kong do loops with 3 wireless vehicles on a consistent basis and many of the effects fail on each loop so how do we expect them to recreate the Kart world?

We likely won't have any control over the Kart or if we do it'll be in some "virtual" setup with screens like the old Sega play area at Innoventions. Assuming we get a practical physical ride, it might just be a glorified dark ride coaster with some props scattered around at the bends and such.

Tell me a better realistic vision.

Right now I see the temp stage that only needed to last for 3 days but somehow has paint that scraped off and a backdrop that got saggy.

How?

The reality that says they can't make Kong do loops with 3 wireless vehicles on a consistent basis and many of the effects fail on each loop so how do we expect them to recreate the Kart world?

We likely won't have any control over the Kart or if we do it'll be in some "virtual" setup with screens like the old Sega play area at Innoventions. Assuming we get a practical physical ride, it might just be a glorified dark ride coaster with some props scattered around at the bends and such.

Right now I see the temp stage that only needed to last for 3 days but somehow has paint that scraped off and a backdrop that got saggy.

Wow. That's a pretty bleak outlook for this upcoming attraction. I have the utmost respect for your insight/posts but I hope you are wrong. Purely speculating here, but I think Universal is going to impress us with this attraction. This IP is way too important and Universal will not accept mediocrity this time.

How?

I see where you're coming from, the Suess comparison is a fair one. I think everyone has high expectations because Nintendo is very protective of their brand, comparable to JK Rowling with HP. I believe the rumors are that Uni's isn't cheaping out on this either. With a big budget and the right collaboration, I think this is going to be a home run.

Wow. That's a pretty bleak outlook for this upcoming attraction. I have the utmost respect for your insight/posts but I hope you are wrong. Purely speculating here, but I think Universal is going to impress us with this attraction. This IP is way too important and Universal will not accept mediocrity this time.

Not so much the IP, but the fact the creator Miyamoto is working *very* closely on this, probably closer than either Cameron or even J.K. Rowling. Don't underestimate the draw here, it will bring in an entirely new crowd of folks like potter then (and different from potter/but some crossover). Universal does their best when the IP owner/creator is holding their feet to the fire. I don't see how this is anything less than potter level successful.

Uh huh...

I think you're missing the point. The facades can't look weathered, they don't have natural foliage, and from a storytelling standpoint the mythology generally lacks any depth at all.

They make good video games, but as has been debated here endlessly - people don't go to theme parks for video games. They go for attractions.

Will Nintendo make good attractions?

I just think Nintendo has a leg up because they were able to bring families to 'gaming' with the Wii. Their games were easier than others, they were active with some....and MARIO Kart is fun for the whole family...I think a lot of folks will want to visit...I have no clue what the rides will be like, but the world is waiting to see.

Reactions: E.Gadd
Not so much the IP, but the fact the creator Miyamoto is working *very* closely on this, probably closer than either Cameron or even J.K. Rowling. Don't underestimate the draw here, it will bring in an entirely new crowd of folks like potter then (and different from potter/but some crossover). Universal does their best when the IP owner/creator is holding their feet to the fire. I don't see how this is anything less than potter level successful.

The Miaymoto who made Wii Music?

It's a risky prospect for sure. I certainly view it that way.

But that risk is a big part of the excitement for me. The brand's not the gamble, it's well loved in a way often compared to the fondness a lot of people have for Disney. Like, they really could have gone the Toy Story Land route with this project and people would absolutely show up for it because of that warm nostalgic feeling they associate with Nintendo.

But actually trying to faithfully bring the surrealist, video-game-logic driven world of Super Mario to life? With all it's winding pipes, floating coins, and snapping piranha plants? That should pose a huge challenge. Otherwise why even bother?

I guess I just like Universal more when they are being ambitious. It doesn't always work out, and they will probably fail in some areas with this project, but I'd rather they really go all out for it rather than just phone it in.

Just give me Yoshi dammit!

The Miaymoto who made Wii Music?

Really, out of all the games he's been involved with, that's the one you're going to bring up?

I mean, look at how many attractions Universal has made based on films from the guy who made 1941! It's ridiculous!

Nintendo is a huge get for Universal, they're protective of their properties after the awful SMB film, and I'm sure everything will be fine. How will the Kart ride work, especially if it is more physical based than screen? I don't know, I'm not a designer or engineer. But Universal has done great in the past when working closely with someone on an IP, so I have no reason to doubt them now, even if F&F sounds bad.

And who cares how the temporary stage for the groundbreaking looks, it's not like they're going to invest a ton of money or R&D into a fantastic stage that they only need for a few minutes.

It's kind of hard to be so negative about something many people love though when you hardly know the details of what it will be and it's still 3-4 years out.

The promising thing is how Japan's UC team is better suited for this as they have had to make attractions three times a year experimenting with different techniques and ideas compared to the one focused mainly on Florida. They know how to please IP holders better and create 100% fun and creative ideas ranging from walkthroughs, escape rooms, 4D attractions, shows, and rides compared to the UOR/USH team.

The promising thing is how Japan's UC team is better suited for this as they have had to make attractions three times a year experimenting with different techniques and ideas compared to the one focused mainly on Florida. They know how to please IP holders better and create 100% fun and creative ideas ranging from walkthroughs, escape rooms, 4D attractions, shows, and rides compared to the UOR/USH team.

But the UC team for Japan has tried to bring some of the stuff from Japan to the states and it has gone over like a lead balloon. Purely based on guest behavior alone - ok, maybe some TM work ethic too.

Take a part of a unique Japanese experience we don't have here in the states. Plop it in the park of your fantasy choice. Have it operated by American and seeing normal American theme park crowds.

How much breaks and how much wont work operationally? How much of the whole experience requires a level of buy-in cooperation that you're going to have a hard time getting from American staff and American patrons?

And I don't recall anyone saying Kong or Fallon or Volcano Bay were under funded or had anemic budgets. None of those have really turned out exemplary.

over a 500 million for a budget is the largest amount ever spent on a land
this land i think will be universals crown jewel of the parks
adapts well to theme park setting

I think this is the problem with the line of thinking that UC and WDI have just been budget deprived... Mission: SPACE had a 300million budget for a single attraction.

Look what that got us.

Reactions: Joel and twebber55
1f0343d4-ec07-4e7c-95ea-8e4e86b925fe-jpg.209282