Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Ode to Universe of Energy

Jul 13, 2011
Tampa, FL
I'm presently bummed out that Energy is leaving. It doesnt need to stay, I'm not arguing that, but it has some real nostalgia for me.

I really hope the new ride is more than some dumb thrill ride roller coaster in the dark. The ride system an building were a technological wonder likes of which we're likely not going to see in the theme parks again.

This was instantly one of my very favorite rides the first time I visited Walt Disney World as a two-year-old in the mid 1980s. Loved the music, loved the dinosaurs, loved the mystique of the whole thing, and loved the epic finale. Once Ellen came along I thought they did a good job making the show funny, plus Bill Nye naturally has rather infectious enthusiasm for the sciences. The real winner of this revamp, though, was the absolutely awe-inspiring Big Bang sequence. My hope with any new update to the attraction was that they would focus a little more on and expand this part of the show, using the latest theoretical physics and modern CGI.

As I got older I found more and more appreciation for the pavilion once I learned about the ingenuity of the traveling theater ride system, the Radok blocks, the design of Theater One, etc. Much of that appreciation was gained through a comprehensive fan page called the Universe of Energy Companion Site, which thankfully has been archived by Michael Crawford: EPCOT's Universe of Energy Companion Site. Be sure to check it out if you've ever had any curiosity about the design and inner workings of this pavilion.

I am absolutely heartbroken to see this pavilion go, instead of get the overhaul it deserves with the latest and greatest Imagineering techniques and the new science it could have shared with the world.

This was instantly one of my very favorite rides the first time I visited Walt Disney World as a two-year-old in the mid 1980s. Loved the music

This was a big part of WDW growing up. It's a Small World, Imagination and "Go, here we go, to the Universe, of Energy!" were songs that would be in your head months after you get home. Rides seems to have soundtracks now rather than songs.

I was thinking a little about why Energy's ride system was more impressive than newer trackless rides and even Great Movie Ride - and I think it's because of the showmanship in the trick of its movement.

All the other rides are blatantly rides and you quickly figure out they're trackless. Energy pretends to be a theater and then suddenly moves - in fact the slow manner in which it moves helps. In the first transition you're not sure if the theater moved or set pieces merely moved around it. It's not until one of the car peels off that it's obvious the whole thing is moving.

And Energy is a huge building, as mentioned, not so sure we'll see the same scale again, but then on top of that that design plays with your perception of space to imply an even larger building. It made Future World seem very epic.

To me, it's always been a nice big building for a nice big nap in air conditioned comfort. When they talk about dated, this attraction really took the award. Sorry, but I'm glad to see it replaced, by just about anything. I'll just have to find another comfortable, cool, nap place for a hot afternoon. :lol:.....Maybe lay down in a corner of the queue for Seas,Nemo. It's got really good air conditioning and the queue is generally pretty empty. :lol:

Energy was also well designed from a staffing standpoint. It only takes 4 people to operate (3 if people would not open doors and wait where the sign tells them to.)

Compare that to things like FJ, Test Track, Toy Story Mania, etc... which employ small armies.

I don't completely understand how some of the movie scenes are "dated". The problems and progression of energy sources are still alive today.

People felt the Seabase at Living Seas was "dated" as well but so far there isn't a real one in existence. A lot of it is really just art and aesthetic trends. It's why people want future world's central spine to change so dramatically.

A little tweaking and it'd be fine, but that's a hard sell.

People felt the Seabase at Living Seas was "dated" as well but so far there isn't a real one in existence. A lot of it is really just art and aesthetic trends. It's why people want future world's central spine to change so dramatically.

A little tweaking and it'd be fine, but that's a hard sell.
I just don't understand why everyone sees Ellen as a 30 minute Air Conditioned rest area. It was very informative, while also being entertaining due to the way it was presented.

I just don't understand why everyone sees Ellen as a 30 minute Air Conditioned rest area. It was very informative, while also being entertaining due to the way it was presented.

Yeah, I've never been a particular fan of that joke, though I can see why others make it (it's long and "educational"-ish, so therefore "boring"). Even in the Ellen's Energy Adventure incarnation, I've always enjoyed the attraction.

If nothing else, I think just about everyone could agree that it had one of the very best soundtracks...

That music is still - and will always be - part of the "sound" of Epcot to me.

Yeah, I've never been a particular fan of that joke, though I can see why others make it (it's long and "educational"-ish, so therefore "boring"). Even in the Ellen's Energy Adventure incarnation, I've always enjoyed the attraction.

If nothing else, I think just about everyone could agree that it had one of the very best soundtracks...

Personally, Ellen is one of my favorite attractions, ever since I was a kid (along with Great Movie ride and Backlot Tour R.I.P.). I always have been interested with most sciences, and energy is one of them. Not only do I find it interesting, but the topic of how we get our energy is very important, as we need to change how we get our energy. Ellen and Bill Nye were fantastic hosts to interestingly present very vital information, all while avoiding being boring. It's a bummer to see such a nice ride leaving in exchange for something that isn't even being set in the real world.

The only issue i have with Ellen is that it used to be Universe of Energy, and so much better. Everything from the pre-show to the ending video was immensely more well done. The pre-show in and of itself was a work of art.

That said, i never thought i'd see the day when i wished that the Ellen ride was staying... :/

The only issue i have with Ellen is that it used to be Universe of Energy, and so much better. Everything from the pre-show to the ending video was immensely more well done. The pre-show in and of itself was a work of art.

That said, i never thought i'd see the day when i wished that the Ellen ride was staying... :/
It should be noted that Ellen herself has expressed she wants this 90's image of herself removed from the park and from what I heard was pretty adamant about it.

That, combined with low GSAT scores and the attraction not "making money" (it doesn't have a gift shop nor is it a big draw to the park), sealed the attractions fate.

I enjoyed the ride, but can't nap on this given how expensive tockets are. Gotta maximize the non expiring days.

If Disney had ever bothered to produce merchandise for this attraction (or The Great Movie Ride, for that matter), I surely would have bought some in the past. As it stands, I don't think I can quite get over the shamelessness of this.

I do really like that cap, though.

Bruce Broughton's score is definitely lovely, and probably among, if not the best orchestral Epcot score. Although HISTA is gone, too Broughton's music for that attraction is still played at JII. I imagine Energy will be the same until the "redo" finally goes through. (Broughton also has scores in Spaceship Earth and Soarin ATW) I can only dream that Mission Space may have miraculously gained an orchestral score by Broughton to make up for the loss here, but not likely. It's definitely the thing I will miss from UoE the most, especially the load music which was absolutely gorgeous.

Bruce Broughton's score is definitely lovely, and probably among, if not the best orchestral Epcot score. Although HISTA is gone, too Broughton's music for that attraction is still played at JII. I imagine Energy will be the same until the "redo" finally goes through. (Broughton also has scores in Spaceship Earth and Soarin ATW) I can only dream that Mission Space may have miraculously gained an orchestral score by Broughton to make up for the loss here, but not likely. It's definitely the thing I will miss from UoE the most, especially the load music which was absolutely gorgeous.

I can only imagine, Epcot will surely be playing the UOE music around the park, like the original soarin music plays around the park, right? It's the absolute best idea they could have to pay tribute to this attraction. The incredible music from this attraction is a big part of why I'm sad to see it go.

If anyone reading this thread enjoys the music from this attraction, surely you've heard the track that was posted above. The much less commonly available tracks can be heard in the highest quality available in this video. I hope someone else enjoys this as much as I did when I found it: