Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Attendance Tracker

Yes, I have always seen many Europeans at the parks/hotels. When we first started visiting i ran into a lot of Indians (still do).

From Latin America, it is tougher due to language barriers, plus, it sometimes feels like another night in Miami.

I just like talking to folks. I always laugh when folks on here pretend many of UNI's guest do Disney, then a couple at UNI. Now, the folks that get their holiday as two weeks, that is one thing...but I often run into the 'it's bankers holiday or something like that.

Anyway, maybe I thought the stronger dollar and the brexit stuff would have had a bigger impact, but the English (and Steelers shirts) are still rather prevalent here right now.
Steeler Shirts:Orlando/Central Florida has always been a big vacation destination for Western Pennsylvanians, plus it's probably where the bulk of them head for retirement if they leave Pennsylvania.

Good article today on Theme Park Insider concerning the changes in theme park demographics (CupCake & Upcharges). With the baby bust of the last two decades the age demographics have flattened and theme park fans are spread evenly among all age groups. Thus the trend towards more entertainment based rides as opposed to more thrill rides, upcharge events, and catering to older groups with no children. The theme park goers with small children are a steadily decreasing demographic. Very interesting read. .....Good news, less strollers to bang my shins.

Last edited:
Good article today on Theme Park Insider concerning the changes in theme park demographics (CupCake & Upcharges). With the baby bust of the last two decades the age demographics have flattened and theme park fans are spread evenly among all age groups. Thus the trend towards more entertainment based rides as opposed to more thrill rides, upcharge events, and catering to older groups with no children. The theme park goers with small children are a steadily decreasing demographic. Very interesting read. .....Good news, less strollers to bang my chins.
Universal has never actively courted the "Stroller Brigade".

Disney never purposefully intended on targeting that demographic originally. I think they accidentally ran into it when they had the hotel boom of the Values and Moderates in the mid to late 90's. Disney had also started to become something that you just did because you wanted to share with your children the experiences you had. Once the internet really started to become a thing and the early Disney forums started, it amplified the sentiment that Disney was a vacation that you share with your kids.

Now once Disney realized what was going on, they definitely capitalized on it as much as possible (and as greedily as possible). I just think it was one of those things that sort of organically happened and then Disney fully embraced it.

Last fiscal quarter Disney and SeaWorld recorded declines in attendance in Orlando. Universal reported steady attendance. Mentions on multiple threads here have suggested that crowds have declined at all parks during the summer. Someone mentioned a decline in hotel fill rates at Disney Springs and it was just announced that those hotels are having some rate sales. Also heard Orlando hotel occupancy rates are down this year. I don't know how Universal hotels are doing.

The declines started before all of the tragedies in Orlando so the root causes are elsewhere, though it could make the declines worse. Is this a blip due to overseas tourism drops from Brazil, a longer trend due to weakness in the US economy or are theme park trips getting too expensive? Gas prices are down so you would think that would encourage travel.

Could this impact the theme park wars? Would the parks cut back due to loss of income, stay the course to bring back business or are current projects so far along that they will get done regardless of economy?

I do think any downturn would be less severe than the last since it would not be bank based. Those tend to be more severe and longer in duration.
This intrigues me, it's been a long time since I have seen attendance rates so low. I believe that the traditional, "Hop in the station wagon kids! We're going to Disney World!" vacation has evolved into a thing that doesn't really happen anymore.

That’s the really strange thing about DL compared to WDW, I think we bumped into maybe 2 Brits during our stay and nobody understood the accent. Orlando just feels like home away from home.
Same, I find I have to repeat myself more in DL than WDW.

Although the Essex accent seems to be easily confused with an Aussie accent.

Universal has kept pace with Disney pricing on one day/one park passes, parking, and Coca-Cola. Disney has far out paced Universal in APs, lodging, and food prices, though.
I think Universal has kept decent pace with Disney on AP price. Not the same, but their APs have seen significant increases over the last few years to start charging more and also adding more blockouts. Yes, Disney did just revamp their AP system, but they changed it so that it's a system that can work no matter your budget AND all passes include parking.

When it comes to lodging and full serve restaurants, you'll get no argument from me. Portofino is a better hotel than any WDW hotel and is about the price of a moderate. Quick serve prices are about the same though.

That's fair because it's true.

But you're acting like UOR doesn't raise their prices by omitting them from your post.
Well they do, last summer I was there (we are AP members) and our badges were not scanning so, they offered up free 1 day passes which retailed at $150 each! So just because I didn't include them doesn't mean I am ignoring their price increase.

Disney is often cheaper than universal for an AP on a per park basis for locals. Disney just refuses to offer seasonal and limited APs to anyone else.

Disney's quarterly report (July, August, Sept. 2017) was just released. Highlights fom the Parks & Resorts segment of the report...."Operating income growth for the quarter was due to an increase at our international operations, partially offset by a decrease at our domestic operations. Results of our international operations were due to growth at Disneyland Paris and Shanghai Disney Resort...Guest spending growth was primarily due to higher average ticket prices and food and beverage spending...The decrease in operating income at our domestic operations was driven by lower results at Walt Disney World, partially offset by an increase at our cruise line, growth at Disneyland Resort, and higher sales of vacation club units."