Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023)

You guys are radically overthinking this.

For the first Mario movie, they'll probably play it very safe (think Star Wars: The Force Awakens). They'll hit on a lot of Mario nostalgia, they'll hit the right funny notes with mass appeal, etc.

After that, there'll be more opportunity to pursue other things, but in a venture of this size, you absolutely need to make sure that you play it safe on the first movie (or there won't be a sequel or a Zelda movie or whatever else you want).

You guys are radically overthinking this.

For the first Mario movie, they'll probably play it very safe (think Star Wars: The Force Awakens). They'll hit on a lot of Mario nostalgia, they'll hit the right funny notes with mass appeal, etc.

After that, there'll be more opportunity to pursue other things, but in a venture of this size, you absolutely need to make sure that you play it safe on the first movie (or there won't be a sequel or a Zelda movie or whatever else you want).
What is unsafe about a movie with one of its focuses being on Mario & Luigi and their relationship as brothers?

What is unsafe about a movie with one of its focuses being on Mario & Luigi and their relationship as brothers?
That idea was fine, and I'd assume that it'll depend on how many characters they want to include (Luigi, Yoshi, etc.). I just mean that this first Mario movie will likely be the "safest" of the venture. There'll be a lot more of an opportunity to try more adventurous scenarios with more plot depth and emotional swings in sequels or in a Zelda movie (which would naturally have a completely different feel).

You also have to remember the deal is rumoured to open up for more mario universe films which I think will eventually lead to Super Smash Bros and a whole Nintendo Cinematic Universe. Start with Mario and introduce the side characters so you can focus on them in later films. Then keep the Mario Luigi for the team up film.

But I hate their movies and I despise their influence on the animation industry. I'm not expecting a deep emotional story, but I'm expecting a story that isn't the same thing I've seen over and over without any sort of subversion or finesse, and certainly something funny and not cheap and easy gags.

Call me a snob, but yeah. I'm not really happy about this aside from the fact that it must mean Nintendo is happy with Universal when it comes to the parks.

I'd be fine with DWA. Captain Underpants was fantastic for a film that was "just a cartoon".

Im liking you more and more Ryan- and I completely agree. And while I don’t feel as strongly- for example, I think illumination has its place as “low-brow mindless kid flick” much like Fast and the Furious has its place. But to try to argue that it’s good is comical. Entertaining? Can’t argue with that if that’s your thing.

This is why there’s chocolate and vanilla.
It’s more like that’s why there are food critics and people who eat fast food. Nothing wrong with you liking taco bueno more than a 5-Star Mexican cuisine- that’s your poragative. But the consensus of critic’s opinions are going to hold more weight than yours.

But seriously, on all of this debate about which studio or company does the best animated movies.... Watching grown ups debate about the quality and depth of a movie that is for kids is an eye roller. You aren't the target market. They aren't supposed to be deep and have great character development or whatever. DM3 did a Billion Dollars.

Not a all. Just a heretic.

That’s just it @fryoj - and you’re right on one hand- it is comical. But on the other hand, we can use it as a microcosm of the industry as a whole.
What do people clamor for in movies? “We want originality” “we want different” but they don’t. Most people are robots who just munch on popcorn and mindlessly watch a movie. Laika went out and gave us different. And original. And brilliance. And it barely made its money back. Meanwhile, finding Dory and Sing make bank. So yes- you and your kid can enjoy turning your minds off and enjoying a movie. There is nothing wrong with that. Some people work hard and the last thing you might want is to have to think during a movie.
But I’m certainly not that kind of person. I appreciate filmmakers, animators and the like that can make thought provoking and films like Inside Out, Kubo, Paranorman, etc. I can only take so many fart jokes and generic sidekicks and pop music.

And I think that accepting mediocrity- even in kids movies- is a terrible idea. If filmmakers and the audience did, we wouldn’t have the likes of Pixar and Laika. Just because it’s animated doesn’t mean it should have the intellect level of a 5 year old.

You also have to remember the deal is rumoured to open up for more mario universe films which I think will eventually lead to Super Smash Bros and a whole Nintendo Cinematic Universe. Start with Mario and introduce the side characters so you can focus on them in later films.
A whole cinematic universe? So, they could make a M, m, m, me. Me, me, met...

METROID MOVIE?!?!?!?!?!

Just keep people like Ridley Scott and Yoshi’s Sakamoto far, far away.
Then keep the Mario Luigi for the team up film.
That sounds incredibly stupid to not have them together from the get go. Anyone who thought of that should be fired.

Last edited:
That sounds incredibly stupid to not have them together from the get go. Anyone who thought of that should be fired.
It depends on how Meledandri and Miyamoto work out the details.

There's really 2 different arguments: 1) Look at what happened with Warcraft, where they really should have made a World of Warcraft movie with the full Horde and Alliance and all the other races instead of just Warcraft with humans and orcs; opening with a much bigger/more epic grouping may have saved it. Or 2) Go the route of Despicable Me where they sort of add characters as they go (i.e. his brother in the 3rd movie).

It's difficult to know which way they go, but I'd lean towards including Luigi/Yoshi et al. in the first Mario movie. Why? Because bringing them all in the first movie allows you to create spinoffs for the others more naturally, and really allows you to tell one cohesive "beginning of the Mario universe" kind of opening story. Then you can make a sequel with all of them and consider Luigi's Mansion or Yoshi movies or whatnot as you expand that universe. I do think having Luigi/Yoshi make sense because it gives Mario other familiar characters to bounce off of instead of only the expected Princess + Bowser.

Of course, just as an individual, I'd love something more along the lines of Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, and a bigger/more epic kind of story where Bowser isn't necessarily the bad guy, but that plot is probably better saved for a sequel. Having Mario team up with Bowser would make more sense in a sequel anyways.

Better not be where it's about rescuing the Princess, we have seen it over 100 times for the past 35 years.
I would think that this would almost definitely be the backbone of the plot. If not, I’d be surprised. As great as Mario games are, diversity in story has never been something they aimed for, though Odyssey at least approached things from a fresh angle.

I would think that this would almost definitely be the backbone of the plot. If not, I’d be surprised. As great as Mario games are, diversity in story has never been something they aimed for, though Odyssey at least approached things from a fresh angle.

My opinion: Switch it up a bit. For maximum earnings potential have Mario and Peach teaming up to save Luigi who Bowser kidnapped by mistake. That way you have maximum appeal to boys and girls and Uni can start building their own line of princesses

Just out. Info from IOA Dip n Dots stand security guard.....Title of first Mario movie ;), "The Saga of Kid Zone"....explores why Mario's rumored 2014 takeover of Kidzone never happened. Was Mario captured and tortured by big Blue Avatars? Was Yoshii a partner in the conspiracy (family envy? )....Mario's escape from his captors (on the back of Donkey Kong) and his attempt to tear Kidzone apart in 2017 post HHN. Mario thwarted by ride saboteurs rumored to be paid for by Joe Rohde....Mario Construction files for Chapter 10 bankruptcy protection. and the story ends with the burning question, "when will Mario start construction with a new company?" ...and Universal schedules a second movie, " Mario Part Two, a New Beginning" for a future "to be determined date". ? ;)

Of course, just as an individual, I'd love something more along the lines of Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, and a bigger/more epic kind of story where Bowser isn't necessarily the bad guy, but that plot is probably better saved for a sequel. Having Mario team up with Bowser would make more sense in a sequel anyways.
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude... :hail:

My opinion: Switch it up a bit. For maximum earnings potential have Mario and Peach teaming up to save Luigi who Bowser kidnapped by mistake. That way you have maximum appeal to boys and girls and Uni can start building their own line of princesses
Or they could have the movie cut between Mario and Luigi’s adventure and Peach and Bowser with Peach acting a little like Roxane from Megamind constantly knocking on Bowser the whole time.

That would be hilarious.

Or they could have the movie cut between Mario and Luigi’s adventure and Peach and Bowser with Peach acting a little like Roxane from Megamind constantly knocking on Bowser the whole time.

That would be hilarious.

Nah. Have Peach be one of the heroes. Have Luigi annoying the crap out of Bowser

This would do a wonderful job of setting up a spin-off: “Luigi: A Lifetime of Getting the Shaft”. :p

In all seriousness, I like the idea but in thinking about what is likely in terms of plot, I’m fully expecting a “Peach gets kidnapped” scenario. If they do something else that turns that on its head, then I think it’ll be a lot of fun, but we’ll just have to wait and see.

This would do a wonderful job of setting up a spin-off: “Luigi: A Lifetime of Getting the Shaft”. :p

In all seriousness, I like the idea but in thinking about what is likely in terms of plot, I’m fully expecting a “Peach gets kidnapped” scenario. If they do something else that turns that on its head, then I think it’ll be a lot of fun, but we’ll just have to wait and see.
I think the first Mario movie will be very safe. Set up an easy family movie where it can hit it out of the park and earn $500m+ worldwide and profit for everyone. The second is where I think that changes:

Mario 1: Princess kidnapped by Bowser, Mario goes on an adventure to save her with Luigi, along the way meets Yoshi, etc.

Mario 2: Beginning seems similar to Mario 1 where Princess is kidnapped but then after Mario rushes to save Princess, an outside enemy attacks and takes over Bowser's Keep and so Mario goes around the world and ends up fighting alongside Bowser by the end (something like Mario RPG: LotSS). It doesn't have to be exactly Mario RPG, but it should at least go off the beginning of that setup to create a scenario where Bowser ends up not being the enemy.

I think the first Mario movie will be very safe. Set up an easy family movie where it can hit it out of the park and earn $500m+ worldwide and profit for everyone. The second is where I think that changes:

Mario 1: Princess kidnapped by Bowser, Mario goes on an adventure to save her with Luigi, along the way meets Yoshi, etc.

Mario 2: Beginning seems similar to Mario 1 where Princess is kidnapped but then after Mario rushes to save Princess, an outside enemy attacks and takes over Bowser's Keep and so Mario goes around the world and ends up fighting alongside Bowser by the end (something like Mario RPG: LotSS). It doesn't have to be exactly Mario RPG, but it should at least go off the beginning of that setup to create a scenario where Bowser ends up not being the enemy.
This is exactly what I'd like. I would also hope they:
- Get an extremely comedic voice actor for Bowser and fully bring in his hilarious cocky personality from the RPG games. I feel like Keith Ferguson, voice of Lord Hater from Wander Over Yander (very obscure choice, I know) would be great at voicing a humorous villain like that.
- Give Peach plenty of personality as well, just like in the RPGs. Instead of just being the goal at the end, give her a character arc and plenty of humorous moments where she annoys Bowser at Bowser's Castle. Not sure who I'd go for a VA, though.

This is exactly what I'd like. I would also hope they:
- Get an extremely comedic voice actor for Bowser and fully bring in his hilarious cocky personality from the RPG games. I feel like Keith Ferguson, voice of Lord Hater from Wander Over Yander (very obscure choice, I know) would be great at voicing a humorous villain like that.
- Give Peach plenty of personality as well, just like in the RPGs. Instead of just being the goal at the end, give her a character arc and plenty of humorous moments where she annoys Bowser at Bowser's Castle. Not sure who I'd go for a VA, though.

Honestly, I would think that logistically keep the game actors consistent in the film, keeping Charles Martinet, Samantha Kelly, and Kenny James in the roles that have been most known in the Mario Franchise, Charles as Mario, Samantha as Peach, and Kenny as Bowser.

Do I think it's very possible of new one-off character's being introduced into the mix is likely, with triple AAA voice talent? I do think that's more probable than recasting those main three actor's roles at this point. And that in a way, those three actor's could be able to actually act their characters again, as opposed to just giving one off line's and sounds of shrugs, fighting noises and impact noises.