Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

That Darn Marvel Contract – What Rights Does Universal and Disney Own

X-Men cannot go in WDW. They can, however, go in any other Disney park in the world.

X-Men has enough with it to take up their own land... if DL ever decides to go the third gate route, X-Men would be a very suitable choice. They could also be a sub-section within the Marvel Land at DCA.

The only thing Fox owned was the movie rights. Technically speaking, Disney could have built a Wolverine ride in DCA if they so desired - it would just be their own version. Now with the rights in the same house, it can be Jackman’s Wolvie.

The only thing Fox owned was the movie rights. Technically speaking, Disney could have built a Wolverine ride in DCA if they so desired - it would just be their own version. Now with the rights in the same house, it can be Jackman’s Wolvie.
Yeah, they could've, they just never were going to... Disney was getting really petty with X-Men and F4 in recent years, halting comic production and the like. They were never going to build a ride unless they got ownership.

Now there's just actually a chance.

From some of the more recent interviews, it sounds like Jackman is pretty much done with Logan.

I do think this really opens up a bit more for Anaheim, and I do have hope they can treat it well.

From some of the more recent interviews, it sounds like Jackman is pretty much done with Logan.

I do think this really opens up a bit more for Anaheim, and I do have hope they can treat it well.
I wonder if this changes any plans for Hong Kong too. Their whole Tomorrowland is going to be a Marvel Land by 2023, with Iron Man already open and Ant-Man opening next year.

I wonder if this changes any plans for Hong Kong too. Their whole Tomorrowland is going to be a Marvel Land by 2023, with Iron Man already open and Ant-Man opening next year.

Not to mention probably Shanghai (and possibly Paris, but that's for a different thread), I would think Marvel-Oriented content will come to those parks. But with X-Men most likely heading to the MCU ASAP, it would make sense to at-least base one attraction for any of the parks mentioned off of the X-Men characters, as they are iconic.

X-Men cannot go in WDW. They can, however, go in any other Disney park in the world.

X-Men has enough with it to take up their own land... if DL ever decides to go the third gate route, X-Men would be a very suitable choice. They could also be a sub-section within the Marvel Land at DCA.

They already own the theme park rights to add whatever Marvel characters it wants outside of Orlando, that includes the X-Men. By tradition, Disney chose not to add X-Men and F4 due to them being owned by Fox. But now the deal seems to be closer than we expected, they might bring that idea back.

The tough thing is, that basically the only hope for him in the MCU is Avengers 4 in some small way. And a ride that somehow featured Phase 1 Avengers, Spiderman and Jackman's Wolverine would be hard to resist. But we know everyone doesn't survive this Avengers edition. So that probably doesn't even work.

It's fun to dream about though.

The tough thing is, that basically the only hope for him in the MCU is Avengers 4 in some small way. And a ride that somehow featured Phase 1 Avengers, Spiderman and Jackman's Wolverine would be hard to resist. But we know everyone doesn't survive this Avengers edition. So that probably doesn't even work.

It's fun to dream about though.
And even though that could serve as an introduction for the X-Men into the universe, it's still not going to happen because there's no way Disney doesn't recast from the top down. Maybe excluding Deadpool since he's kinda his own thing. Probably not though.

And even though that could serve as an introduction for the X-Men into the universe, it's still not going to happen because there's no way Disney doesn't recast from the top down. Maybe excluding Deadpool since he's kinda his own thing. Probably not though.

I think Deadpool will stay, it was hinted at that it takes place in the MCU although officially denied.

Skip to about 5mins.

I don't envy the person who has to replace Wolverine.

I could see them working out something with the infinity stones that we meet old Logan and then something weird and cosmic happens and that leads us to new X-Men. Similar to what will happen to DCU with Flashpoint.

Unlikely. But if Jackman wants in, I could see them bending over backwards for something. Even just as fan service.

Are you guys sure that all of those groups of heroes and the individual villains and groups of villains that I listed before would be considered to be part of the X-Men 'family' or otherwise prevented from appearing in Walt Disney World or another park East of the Mississippi River?

No way Universal is gonna give up what they already allowed to have in its parks. Since Disney purchased Marvel, Universal can't bring Marvel characters anywhere in the world in its parks except in Japan and the U.S. East of the Mississippi River, and allowing the Marvel contract to lapse in Japan and Florida would give Disney unlimited advantage. Not gonna happen.

Has Universal ever had something that was considered to be a 'THE MARVEL UNIVERSE' located in Universal Studios Hollywood or Universal Studios Japan? If not, I don't see how according to the contract that Universal Studios could have got exclusivity for the right to have Marvel characters appear in attractions for Spider-Man or other Marvel characters in an amusement park in Japan or in many other locations in Asia including Hong Kong, the Philippines, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Mainland China, Taiwan, North or South Korea, Vietnam, or Thailand.

I would be surprised if Universal got exclusivity for the right to have Marvel characters appear in attractions to those locations in Asia due to the construction of the Spider-Man attraction in Universal Studios Japan. That attraction doesn't seem like it would be something Marvel would have considered to be a 'THE MARVEL UNIVERSE'. Referring to a second 'THE MARVEL UNIVERSE' section of a Universal theme park, made after the one in Islands of Adventure, the contract available online says "Marvels representation therein will be of at least comparable proportion and like quality to its representation (including as to the retail exposure and promotional efforts of MCA) within THE SECOND GATE at Universal City Florida."

It seems to me that according to the contract if Universal had made actions towards building a 'THE MARVEL UNIVERSE' section to a Universal park in Japan within a certain time period and then built something considered to be a 'THE MARVEL UNIVERSE' section in that Universal park within a certain time period; Universal would then have had got exclusivity for the right to have Marvel characters appear in attractions for all Marvel characters in amusement parks in Japan, Hong Kong, the Philippines, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Mainland China, Taiwan, North or South Korea, Vietnam, and Thailand regardless if a given Marvel character is featured at one point in time or never featured in a 'THE MARVEL UNIVERSE' section of the Japanese Universal theme park.

It seems like Universal might not have this exclusivity or if they did have this exclusivity they somehow no longer have it.
I think this is the case about that exclusivity in those Asian locations because there have recently been Marvel characters appearing in attractions at Disneyland Hong Kong. So, if Universal never got this exclusivity or no longer has it for some reason, then I think Disney could have an attraction with Spider-Man and other characters of the 'Spider-Man family' appear in attractions at Disneyland Tokyo or in Hong Kong and Shanghai if they wanted.

It seems to me that the concept of Marvel characters that don't appear as parts of attractions in a Universal Studios park being allowed to appear in attractions at other theme parks in the same country is only described in detail in the contract available online as applying to parts of the USA that are East of the Mississippi River. I think it's mentioned in the contract that such a situation would arise if Universal Studios didn't make certain actions towards building another 'THE MARVEL UNIVERSE' section to another USA Universal park within a certain time period and then built something considered to be a 'THE MARVEL UNIVERSE' section in that Universal park within a certain time period.

Such an idea of allowing only certain characters in other parks in the same country isn't mentioned in the contract for Japan. Although, the contract mentions the possibility of coming up with such a regional division for other countries besides the USA, parts of Europe, and much of East Asia. If Universal had built a 'THE MARVEL UNIVERSE' section in Universal Studios Japan, then Disney wouldn't be allowed to build attractions with any previously created Marvel characters or "characters developed or acquired or licensed in the future by Marvel which (x) are marketed under the Marvel Banner or (y) were previously marketed under the Marvel Banner during the term hereof and are subsequently marketed under the Banner of a Marvel Related Company".

If they did get this exclusivity and still have it, then they allowed Disney to build an attraction, the Iron Man Experience in Hong Kong, that features a Marvel character in a location in Asia even though it seems to me they would have the right to forbid Disney from building this attraction.

Last edited:

Just saw the amazing Universal Studios “Grow Bold” commercial, and it is phenomenal!! I love the fact that their branding growing up and the idea of being bold and adventurous. The opposite of Disney. Also, the graphics and sets for this commercial couldn’t look more epic. Especially the transformers and Harry Potter scene. What I noticed is that they really highlited the main atttarctions and popular IP’s of the resort. Something that supprised me was that marvel wasn’t on there. They kinda replaced Universal’s superhero aspect with transformers instead of something like Spider-Man or anything marvel. What worried me a little is that they could be leaving Marvel branding to Disney, and marvel may start to diminish a little at UOR. Maybe not, I just found it odd that marvel wasn’t on there.

Just saw the amazing Universal Studios “Grow Bold” commercial, and it is phenomenal!! I love the fact that their branding growing up and the idea of being bold and adventurous. The opposite of Disney. Also, the graphics and sets for this commercial couldn’t look more epic. Especially the transformers and Harry Potter scene. What I noticed is that they really highlited the main atttarctions and popular IP’s of the resort. Something that supprised me was that marvel wasn’t on there. They kinda replaced Universal’s superhero aspect with transformers instead of something like Spider-Man or anything marvel. What worried me a little is that they could be leaving Marvel branding to Disney, and marvel may start to diminish a little at UOR. Maybe not, I just found it odd that marvel wasn’t on there.

Probably because this wasn't for Orlando but for both US Parks, and we know Marvel isn't available on the west coast. But all the stuff in the ad is. (In fact it's Hollywood's entrance used in the ad)