Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Future of Star Tours (DHS)

Finally rode the new Star Tours and it was so much fun. I had no idea of the context so it was like riding the trailer. :lol: Can't believe they didn't update this ride for 20 years but now they've changed it.. what.. 3 times in 5 years?

Finally rode the new Star Tours and it was so much fun. I had no idea of the context so it was like riding the trailer. :lol: Can't believe they didn't update this ride for 20 years but now they've changed it.. what.. 3 times in 5 years?

And that's all it really is now is a trailer, even well before they unveiled any intention of a huge Star Wars land. Star Tours just became a nonsensical commercial for the whole franchise.

And that's all it really is now is a trailer, even well before they unveiled any intention of a huge Star Wars land. Star Tours just became a nonsensical commercial for the whole franchise.
Star Tours 2.0 is completely throwing canon to the back-burner, but the current version that they are running (Jakku-Crait-Batuu) is actually the closest to a cohesive and canon-appropriate version as they've shown since it reopened in 2011.

And star tours will be closing once this opens?
No official word yet, but insiders give it a year after Galaxy's Edge opens.

Given the current new ending where we land on the new planet from Galaxy's Edge, I can see that working out.

After the buzz dies down, many speculate Star Tours will be rethemed to a different property. But who knows, maybe they can both survive? I mean there's no shortage of new Star Wars films coming out to update the ride with new places to visit!

Given the current new ending where we land on the new planet from Galaxy's Edge, I can see that working out.

After the buzz dies down, many speculate Star Tours will be rethemed to a different property. But who knows, maybe they can both survive? I mean there's no shortage of new Star Wars films coming out to update the ride with new places to visit!

This raises an interesting point. Star Tours has been one of the few rides that has been updated to relate to new movies and with more Star Wars coming, I wonder if the new attractions will have the ability to be updated.

This raises an interesting point. Star Tours has been one of the few rides that has been updated to relate to new movies and with more Star Wars coming, I wonder if the new attractions will have the ability to be updated.
Since the MF ride will render the film in real time every ride - and will be a simulator (not reliant on a predetermined ride path) - I don't see why they wouldn't be able to change it later.

There has been a loose rumor from normally pretty credible WDW sources over on Magic saying that there's an idea kicking around to KEEP Star Tours and build a long exit ramp that would dump off into Batuu. Think Space Mountain exit type long.

I wouldn't say it's a likelihood as he even admitted, but insiders have almost universally pushed ST lifespan from one year after SW:GE opens to 2-3 years at least.

There has been a loose rumor from normally pretty credible WDW sources over on Magic saying that there's an idea kicking around to KEEP Star Tours and build a long exit ramp that would dump off into Batuu. Think Space Mountain exit type long.

I wouldn't say it's a likelihood as he even admitted, but insiders have almost universally pushed ST lifespan from one year after SW:GE opens to 2-3 years at least.
Like to see the size of the long exit ramp at Disneyland's version.

:lol:

Obviously once the time comes, it will be replaced with something completely new (in Disneyland), the question becomes do they clone that over to DHS or not.
WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E!

(I am not interested in the Iron Man experience, regardless of that darn contract.)

In response to the 3 year Star Tours rumor... I wonder if that would be when DHS gets another new ride, perhaps a Monsters Inc. mini-land? I could see them not wanting to close anything else until something else opens. (After this terrible period we're going through now is over of course.)

WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E!

(I am not interested in the Iron Man experience, regardless of that darn contract.)

In response to the 3 year Star Tours rumor... I wonder if that would be when DHS gets another new ride, perhaps a Monsters Inc. mini-land? I could see them not wanting to close anything else until something else opens. (After this terrible period we're going through now is over of course.)
Incredibles was the only thing I was thinking could make sense at both locations (besides Wall-E I guess), but they're retheming Screamin' to Incredibles now so I feel like that's not happening.

Incredibles was the only thing I was thinking could make sense at both locations (besides Wall-E I guess), but they're retheming Screamin' to Incredibles now so I feel like that's not happening.
Yup. My thinking as well. So, on to Wall-E!

WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E!

The Iron Man Experience at Hong Kong looks like a very weak outdated attraction. Kind of goes way back, & similar to a Star Tours One, but with a pretty lousy story in comparison......But I'd like to see the present Star Tours Two linked up to GESW rather than retheming it. Star Wars could certainly use three attractions with the crowds it will bring to DHS.

Last edited:
The Iron Man Experience at Hong Kong looks like a very weak outdated attraction. Kind of goes way back, & similar to a Star Tours One, but with a pretty lousy story in comparison......But I'd like to see the present Star Tours Two linked up to GESW rather than retheming it.
With Iron Man not eligible to be used in Orlando and Marvel getting it's own land at DCA, Iron Man would be just as out of place as Star Tours will be once Galaxy's Edge opens.

I would think that ST's lifespan would depend on how big of a hit SW:GE ends up being. If it's only a giant hit, Disney might be able to get rid of ST relatively early.

If it's a Potter-sized hit (I don't use that lightly) that fundamentally reshapes which parks people go to in Orlando, then ST could be around even longer than 2-3 years. I could easily forsee a world where Disney is forced to throw together 1-2 brand new (not replacing anything) , decently large rides in DHS within a year or two, so that other older rides could be taken down for refurbishment without throwing off the entire park. Only at that point could Star Tours be taken out of commission.

I would think that ST's lifespan would depend on how big of a hit SW:GE ends up being. If it's only a giant hit, Disney might be able to get rid of ST relatively early.

If it's a Potter-sized hit (I don't use that lightly) that fundamentally reshapes which parks people go to in Orlando, then ST could be around even longer than 2-3 years. I could easily forsee a world where Disney is forced to throw together 1-2 brand new (not replacing anything) , decently large rides in DHS within a year or two, so that other older rides could be taken down for refurbishment without throwing off the entire park. Only at that point could Star Tours be taken out of commission.
They already have expansion areas/rides planned, much like Potter did from day 1.

I could see Big Hero 6 or Wreck It Ralph as Star Tours replacements for both coasts. Fly with Baymax over San Fransokyo or board a Hero’s Duty troop transport and fend off the Cy-Bugs.

With that said, I hope they keep Star Tours.