Star Wars: The Last Jedi | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
i would assume people could say the same thing about us........

I have no issue with people talking about nerdy things they like.

When they turn into whiny crybabies because artists made something different than what they had in their imaginations is when I draw the line.

Star Wars has survived the Holiday Special, the Prequels, and a whole slew of garbage fan-fiction-level novels. Even if the movie was bad (it’s nowhere close to that), Star Wars will be fine. The idea that a movie that was signed off for by everyone at Lucas tells me Disney is happy with the film. Just because a small group of fans (wrongly) think they’re owed something, it doesn’t mean they’re not acting like children.

They should be happy. JJ Abrams is coming back. All that guy can do is blatant fan service

I have no issue with people talking about nerdy things they like.

When they turn into whiny crybabies because artists made something different than what they had in their imaginations is when I draw the line.

Star Wars has survived the Holiday Special, the Prequels, and a whole slew of garbage fan-fiction-level novels. Even if the movie was bad (it’s nowhere close to that), Star Wars will be fine. The idea that a movie that was signed off for by everyone at Lucas tells me Disney is happy with the film. Just because a small group of fans (wrongly) think they’re owed something, it doesn’t mean they’re not acting like children.

They should be happy. JJ Abrams is coming back. All that guy can do is blatant fan service
granted the petitions are ridiculous
but i ve read some places where people have boycotted certain theme parks for the new additions in them
everybody has their obsessions

Just back from the cinema and still trying to digest what I saw but I'm leaning towards that this sucked. It's beautifully shot and had some great moments but it felt like almost an hour too long, the story was dull, nothing really happened and it crapped all over everything the TFA was trying to build up.

On another note, this is the first time I've been to the cinema probably since TFA and I can't beleive I paid £39 for two tickets, two drinks and a popcorn to leave disappointed 3 hours later.

Really Brian? Is that actually coming from an administrator of an Theme Park Blog? no offense man but come on!

The fact you’re comparing people whining about a movie not going their way and now not wanting “it to count” vs people talking about theme parks is... well.... stupid.

And if someone started a “Tear down Fallon cuz it sucks!” petition, I’d call it out just the same.

Let me just dissect that petition a bit...

Star Wars has long been a story about two things, the Jedi and Luke Skywalker. After over 260 novels where we could follow the adventures of that great hero you, the Walt Disney Company decided to strike all of that from the official canon and wiped out three decades of lore.
1. The Jedi aren't going anywhere
2. Mark Hamill is getting old. Was it not obvious Luke would get killed off at some point?

We were excited to see Episode VII to see how our heroes lives turned out since you took away what we knew. We saw the death of Han Solo, we saw less than a minute of Luke Skywalker.
Fun Fact: Harrison Ford wanted Han Solo to be killed off at the end of Return of the Jedi. He was left alive in the case the sequel trilogy ever got made.

Episode VIII was a travesty. It completely destroyed the legacy of Luke Skywalker and the Jedi.
I'm noticing a pattern of expectations that this person built-up inside themselves, setting themselves up to be disappointed no matter the movie.

It destroyed the very reasons most of us, as fans, liked Star Wars. This can be fixed. Just as you wiped out 30 years of stories, we ask you to wipe out one more, the Last Jedi. Remove it from canon, push back Episode IX and re-make Episode VIII properly to redeem Luke Skywalker's legacy, integrity, and character.
They didn't wipe it out. They cleaned it up. George Lucas even said himself recently that much of the stuff in those books he would've never wrote in a sequel. Asking Disney to remove an episodic movie from canon is ridiculous just because you're stuck in the past and want Luke and Han to live on forever. (I bet they love to call Rey a Marysue, too!)

We stuck by you when you did things that hurt us before, so we ask you now, please don't let this film stand. Don't do this to us. Don't take something so many of us loved so much and destroy it like this. Let us keep our heroes.
LET THEM KEEP THEIR HEROS

Reactions: jtsalien
Thinking about this a little more, I don’t think it’s as bad as I thought on the first viewing. I think this movie is going to take a lot of repeat viewings to take it all in.

This movie has definitely planted a seed that will grow with future movies.

It also had some of the best Star Wars moments from the series yet.

I have a big question

Was Luke's story arc already started in The Force Awakens? I mean the scene where he is watching something burning and putting his robotic hand on R2D2 was shown in the TFA trailers (and was it in a flashback or other scene also)? I mean MAYBE they shot it without context, but maybe they didn't?

Thinking about this a little more, I don’t think it’s as bad as I thought on the first viewing. I think this movie is going to take a lot of repeat viewings to take it all in.

This movie has definitely planted a seed that will grow with future movies.

It also had some of the best Star Wars moments from the series yet.

This is pretty consistent with the early response to Empire being mixed, only to now be regarded as the best film in the series.

Reactions: UNIrd
Can you explain your reasoning for this bold statement.
Which is the bold part? Not liking Star Wars or liking Last Jedi?

I’ve always gravitated toward morally “ambiguous” stories, even as a kid. I would really only be satisfied with a story if I felt the “villain” was gray. They needed an understandable purpose to being bad, to an extent where, to them, they were the good guy.

Star Wars never bothered with subtlety or nuance. The bad guys literally called themselves the “Dark Side” and pick the scariest names imaginable for each other. In the original trilogy, the Empire is ridiculously inept while blowing up planets to prove a point. The only conflict for Vader is in the last 20 minutes of the trilogy when he decides to not kill his son. And the thing is, as has been memed to death, it’s an Empire. It’s a governmental body. Killing the Emporer doesn’t stop anything.

Which the Rebels keep forgetting. Nevermind, these are the most well-funded rebels in the history of ever. But there’s no purpose to the Rebellion aside from stopping the Empire. They’re anarchist. They’re the good guys only because the Empire are the bad guys. It’s superficial storytelling, and I saw it as such even when I was eight years old. And the problem has been every film up to now has never really tried to color with more than two crayons.

Spoilers follow:

In THIS though, the New EmpOrder is smart. They’re patient. And the Rebelsistence is actually clinging to life. The stakes FINALLY feel real between the two sides. Meanwhile, Kylo has an actual, understandable conflict going on (guilt and fear and power). Luke is flawed and culpable for everything. Rey isn’t some chosen one; she just happens to be the right one. Finn and Rose FAIL in their mission, right to the end. Haldo is ambiguous to the point Poe HATES her. And we have a whole WORLD of neutral profiteers who don’t care who wins as long as they pay, including a scumbag who is nothing more than a scumbag.

The Last Jedi expanded the SW universe with more subtlety and interesting conflict than 8 others films combined. The whole point of this film was pounding home that you shouldn’t worship your heroes and you shouldn’t hate your villains. The character quirks that exemplify our “heroes” are downright wrong, and that is FAR more interesting.

Regarding Luke’s storyline...

For those that have complained about it, have we just forgotten ANH completely? This isn’t the first time a Jedi-Master has shut himself off from the force. Obi-Wan did the same thing after training his apprentice went sour and Luke pulled him back in.

Obi-Wan’s Story in ANH and Luke’s in TLJ are virtually the exact same thing.

Also regarding Luke

Yoda also shut himself off and away when he failed to fully notice Anakin's turn to the dark side and failed to kill the Emperor so exiled himself to Dagobah

Reactions: Nick and jtsalien
Regarding Luke’s storyline...

For those that have complained about it, have we just forgotten ANH completely? This isn’t the first time a Jedi-Master has shut himself off from the force. Obi-Wan did the same thing after training his apprentice went sour and Luke pulled him back in.

Obi-Wan’s Story in ANH and Luke’s in TLJ are virtually the exact same thing.

Yeah, So it's been done before... This was also before 2 other movies filled with characterization for Luke. Just because Yoda did it and Obi-Wan did it doesn't give the story a pass for Luke. For some of the older Star Wars fans I'm sure it was quite the slap in the face to find out your hero has been unheroic for 30 years. Part of the reason why the remaining Jedi all scrambled was because the republic was done and the Jedi Council with it, They had to hide as the Empire aimed to continue hunting them down and killing them. At that point they could not mount a resistance. Their goal was to ensure the survival of the ways of the light-sided ways of the force. Anyways, You are also missing that Obi-Wan went to Tattooine to watch over Luke. By staying in hiding and watching over Luke he had fulfilled his final mission and helped set the gears in motion for Luke to truly restore balance to the force.

Let me say this, for the most part other than Luke I'm largely fine with all the narrative choices it made in TLJ. I am not okay with a lot of the minutia of the plot and the actual storytelling. I highlighted in my previous post why Luke's story serves to weaken the plot for me, and again other than that, a lot of the smaller ideas in the film serve to quell the narrative direction they took. To enjoy this film for me, is to throw away everything learned in the 6 previous films. That's bad storytelling, and that's why you see such extreme fan backlash... You're throwing away something people far more invested in it than I love... And then you got this great campaign by the media throwing fans who didn't like the film under the bus.