Star Wars: The Last Jedi | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
For some reason I'm heavily reminded of the second Matrix movie, where there was a lot of "everything you know is wrong" (The Architect vs. Luke) and there was also two powerful forces that seemed to have equal power (Neo vs. Agent Smith and Rey vs. Kylo Ren), and the internet went wild with controversy/speculation. The difference is that there isn't really questions we EXPECT will be answered in Episode 9 yet.
And when you think about it, that's almost a better situation for Abrams to be in going into the final chapter of a trilogy. Most of those mystery boxes that he opened in TFA are now answered or just straight closed. Now JJ could choose to explore some of what was/is in those boxes if he so chooses, but he doesn't NEED TO. I think the beauty in that is that it gives him a chance to really close out this trilogy however he wants to, without being tied to certain questions that fans are going to expect answers to.

Reactions: jtsalien
And when you think about it, that's almost a better situation for Abrams to be in going into the final chapter of a trilogy. Most of those mystery boxes that he opened in TFA are now answered or just straight closed. Now JJ could choose to explore some of what was/is in those boxes if he so chooses, but he doesn't NEED TO. I think the beauty in that is that it gives him a chance to really close out this trilogy however he wants to, without being tied to certain questions that fans are going to expect answers to.
First 5 minutes of Episode 9:

We see a surgery scene like the end of Episode 3, where Snoke is being sewed back together and is really pissed.
We see Phasma climbing up out of a burnt pit, and a couple of random stormtroopers walking by say "I hear the new fire and explosion proof suits are replacing the General issue suits soon."
Luke reappears at another part of the island, and Ghost Yoda says "Good. Mastered the art of teleportation you have."
Rey is seen training with Luke and says "I was afraid that I was the Last Jedi and would never know who my parents really are." as we pan out to see a rock formation that is strangely shaped like a middle finger.

First 5 minutes of Episode 9:

We see a surgery scene like the end of Episode 3, where Snoke is being sewed back together and is really pissed.
We see Phasma climbing up out of a burnt pit, and a couple of random stormtroopers walking by say "I hear the new fire and explosion proof suits are replacing the General issue suits soon."
Luke reappears at another part of the island, and Ghost Yoda says "Good. Mastered the art of teleportation you have."
Rey is seen training with Luke and says "I was afraid that I was the Last Jedi and would never know who my parents really are." as we pan out to see a rock formation that is strangely shaped like a middle finger.
I swear if Phasma comes back again... they've hyped her up twice only for her to get little screen time and die both times.

Reactions: fryoj
Saw it for the 2nd time today. Definitely a better viewing. I still have some problems with certain things, but the highs the film hits is just really friggin good. I was teetering between a 3.25 to 3.5. After today, I feel confident with a 3.5. Still behind Empire, New Hope, and TFA - but still a good entry in the franchise. I’m on phone now so I’ll expand some more thoughts on 2nd viewing and things I noticed this go around.

Saw it for the 2nd time today. Definitely a better viewing. I still have some problems with certain things, but the highs the film hits is just really friggin good. I was teetering between a 3.25 to 3.5. After today, I feel confident with a 3.5. Still behind Empire, New Hope, and TFA - but still a good entry in the franchise. I’m on phone now so I’ll expand some more thoughts on 2nd viewing and things I noticed this go around.
Yeah, the parts of this film that are good are great. The part from the...
...from the thrown room on, after Snoke is killed, the movie is honestly top notch. Canto Bight is a real low point though and I don't think that kid is going to play much of a role in 9 if at all. I just think that was Rian setting up for his trilogy. We'll see. If it was, that will rub me the wrong way a bit as there was really no reason for them to go to Canto Bight. It was just to give Finn something to do, but I think they could've made Finn an integral part of the storyline by having the GPS tacker implanted in Finn's body, which would be believable considering he was a storm trooper. By doing a story that way, it would've really made Finn far more important.

Reactions: fryoj
Good to see people still take in multiple theater viewings of films. Sometimes the extra viewings make the viewed film seem better, sometimes worst. Prior "Expectations" seems to color a movie's acceptance one way or another. Back in my younger movie theater days I used to do that often. I recall attending theaters to watch The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly about a dozen times. Anyway, it's encouraging to see how opinions change with multiple viewings. :thumbsup: Kind of the same way that works with theme park attractions.

Reactions: jtsalien
I've had 5 viewing now (thank you moviepass) and I keep picking up new things and have come to understand and appreciate the parts that I didn't really care about the first time. The only part of the movie that I really feel is pointless is the riding of the animals. Woulda preferred a Lamborghini speeder chase instead.

Rankings:
8=5 (5 is a classic and such a good story with no flaws but 8 makes you think and asks some really good questions, plus some of the best action scenes of the saga.)
RO

Still need to see it a 2nd time....but works been so damn busy. I've heard from almost all of my friends and people on this forum that it's so much better after the second viewing. I still really enjoyed it the first go around, despite the aforementioned subplot that is truly awful and misplaced.

Overall right now...

7 (even though 5 is the better film, I like Awakens the best)
RO

or first 5 minutes of Epside

There's no sound in space either but Star Wars always has that
Okay but sound is added for effect so the audience doesn't get bored during a action scene. What I said above is how something works in the movie directly impacting the battle/plot.

Okay but sound is added for effect so the audience doesn't get bored during a action scene. What I said above is how something works in the movie directly impacting the battle/plot.

There's also several instances where the laws of space do not apply (not including THAT scene). Character straight up has a bomb bay open and it's not impacting her ability to breathe.

https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-disney-company-have-disney-strike-star-wars-episode-viii-from-the-official-canon

Wow I believe this petition was built on Monday and it had 35,000+ support this morning, now it is at 39,000+ and counting.

Oh, people.... if only they were as passionate about more important things.