1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Games, Movies & Sports' started by Brian G., Jan 23, 2017.

1. twebber55

twebber55 Veteran Member

nobody is saying it wont do fine
    the brand is too strong for it to struggle

2. Nick C.

Nick C. Staff Member Moderator

Exactly.

To think that TLJ would equal or surpass TFA box office was crazy and it’ll still be one of the top grossing films of all-time. TFA had so much pent up hype surrounding it as it had been 32 years between Episode 6 & 7.

jtsalien, AlexanderMBush and fryoj like this.
  3. twebber55

twebber55 Veteran Member

looks like the last jedi is gonna do 68 million this weekend
    pretty significant drop
    i would imagine disney is not thrilled with these numbers

4. OLSinFLA

OLSinFLA Member

Most films drop anywhere from 40-60% on their second week. Its the result of so many screens opening weekend.... everyone who was waiting to see it could. Its not like they days when the original Star Wars came out and it could run for a year. The only film I can think of as an exception was "Avatar" which dropped so low (1%) everyone thought it had to be an error... and week 3 was nearly as strong as week 1. Percentage wise, I dont think that will ever be done again

5. scott_walker

scott_walker Premium Member

I don't think it would be crazy to think it was possible. If TLJ had universal praise, I don't see why it couldn't top it.

6. Nick C.

Maybe.

I think it's more likely it would have come close. The insane hype that lead up to TFA just wasn't there for TLJ. I never really saw it as realistic to expect another 2B earner.

TheGentTrent, jtsalien and fryoj like this.
  7. Legacy

Legacy Veteran Member

So... when Solo doesn’t do as well as TLJ, will that because it continues to ruin canon and isn’t as good a movie?

8. Nick C.

If people compare Solo's box office to TLJ they've lost it. Solo should be compared to Rogue One.

I do think that Solo launching in only 6 months will test the "Star Wars fatigue" theory and how far Disney can push this. I do like that they are doing a May release though as that means that it will be 1,5 years between Solo and Episode IX, meaning more time for #HYPE.

jtsalien likes this.
  9. Mr. EPCOT

Mr. EPCOT Veteran Member

I'd be a little surprised if they don't push Solo back to December. We don't even have a teaser yet.

youhow2 likes this.
  10. Nick C.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised at Solo getting pushed back, but I can also see them holding off until the Super Bowl for a big spot and then running that in front of Black Panther.

11. scott_walker

scott_walker Premium Member

Solo has several obstacles. Rogue One was great which will be its direct comparison like you said but unlike Rogue One which had all new characters, this is a story based on a well loved character. If the character is off then the movie will fail. The other main obstacle is that it’s coming on the heels of TLJ which good also be a pro if people like this movie but hated TLJ.

Nick C. likes this.
  12. Nick C.

At the same time, the ending of Rogue One was widely known going in. The ending to Solo is also sort of known in a way from what we hear from Han in ANH.

It’ll be about execution in how well the movie does. I expect it to easily be the most humorous SW movie yet.

13. fryoj

fryoj Veteran Member

As long as it's not "lightsaber to the back of the head humor" that's fine.

14. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

I never realized Force Awakens almost made a billion at the US box office and became the highest grossing film of all-time. :lol: Where was I?

Regardless, the sequels have all made less than their first outings. I don't think anyone would be truly displeased with the numbers.

15. JonsMovies

JonsMovies Newcomer

Episode 7 is the highest grossing domestic film of all time. Avatar is still king of the worldwide box office.

16. Llrocknroll87

Llrocknroll87 Rookie

Just watched this in IMAX 3D for free (wife is a manager) I absolutely loved this movie regardless of the obvious plot issues (that don’t need to be rehashed) which might/could be explained in 9. I think the biggest reason I enjoyed it is because I didn’t go into it with any preconceived notions on what I think should happen. I went in to enjoy the movie for what it is and was very happy with the result. I will label myself as a “causal fan” but I have watched all OT movies including prequels.

Coasted, ChrisFL, UNIrd and 2 others like this.
  17. Disneyhead

Disneyhead Veteran Member

I will see it sometime this week. Being a casual SW fan, I am curious what I'll think. I have seen each of the previous films at least once in the theater, so I am familiar with the story, but not "in to it."

Coasted likes this.
  18. Obi Ubamba

Obi Ubamba Veteran Member

I saw it and I thought it was great. Personally I thought Rian's attempt at trying to shake up things was more interesting than JJ's rehash of ANH as TFA. Of course it wasn't a perfect film but I don't go into SW movies expecting them to be like the "Oscar winners" kind of movies. I left the theater entertained and with plenty of questions left to ponder. People upset with TLJ need to accept that SW needed a shift in direction and could not stay like the OT forever.

TheGentTrent and Llrocknroll87 like this.
  19. ChristopherSE

ChristopherSE V.I.P.

I saw it today in IMAX 3D and, as someone who never really connected with the original trilogy, it's my favorite Star Wars film. I thought it was absolutely gorgeous and I was engaged and invested from start to finish. Since I'm a very casual fan, I wasn't worried about consistencies with the original trilogy and the only thing I was really comparing it to was TFA (which I thoroughly enjoyed).

Coasted and Legacy like this.
  20. quinnmac000

quinnmac000 Veteran Member

China still hates Star Wars.

Last Jedi Rises To $1.12B, #16 On WW Chart, But China Force Not Strong | Deadline