Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

And to be honest, that shouldn't be something to be ashamed about.

TLJ, since the early tracking came out poised it to be less than TFA in just early numbers, and that TLJ is going to do just fine. Just if it doesn't reach 2B, it shouldn't be the end of the world.
nobody is saying it wont do fine
the brand is too strong for it to struggle

And to be honest, that shouldn't be something to be ashamed about.

TLJ, since the early tracking came out poised it to be less than TFA in just early numbers, and that TLJ is going to do just fine. Just if it doesn't reach 2B, it shouldn't be the end of the world.
Exactly.

To think that TLJ would equal or surpass TFA box office was crazy and it’ll still be one of the top grossing films of all-time. TFA had so much pent up hype surrounding it as it had been 32 years between Episode 6 & 7.

looks like the last jedi is gonna do 68 million this weekend
pretty significant drop
i would imagine disney is not thrilled with these numbers
Most films drop anywhere from 40-60% on their second week. Its the result of so many screens opening weekend.... everyone who was waiting to see it could. Its not like they days when the original Star Wars came out and it could run for a year. The only film I can think of as an exception was "Avatar" which dropped so low (1%) everyone thought it had to be an error... and week 3 was nearly as strong as week 1. Percentage wise, I dont think that will ever be done again

Exactly.

To think that TLJ would equal or surpass TFA box office was crazy and it’ll still be one of the top grossing films of all-time. TFA had so much pent up hype surrounding it as it had been 32 years between Episode 6 & 7.

I don't think it would be crazy to think it was possible. If TLJ had universal praise, I don't see why it couldn't top it.

So... when Solo doesn’t do as well as TLJ, will that because it continues to ruin canon and isn’t as good a movie?

So... when Solo doesn’t do as well as TLJ, will that because it continues to ruin canon and isn’t as good a movie?
If people compare Solo's box office to TLJ they've lost it. Solo should be compared to Rogue One.

I do think that Solo launching in only 6 months will test the "Star Wars fatigue" theory and how far Disney can push this. I do like that they are doing a May release though as that means that it will be 1,5 years between Solo and Episode IX, meaning more time for #HYPE.

If people compare Solo's box office to TLJ they've lost it. Solo should be compared to Rogue One.

I do think that Solo launching in only 6 months will test the "Star Wars fatigue" theory and how far Disney can push this. I do like that they are doing a May release though as that means that it will be 1,5 years between Solo and Episode IX, meaning more time for #HYPE.
I'd be a little surprised if they don't push Solo back to December. We don't even have a teaser yet.

I'd be a little surprised if they don't push Solo back to December. We don't even have a teaser yet.
I certainly wouldn't be surprised at Solo getting pushed back, but I can also see them holding off until the Super Bowl for a big spot and then running that in front of Black Panther.

Solo has several obstacles. Rogue One was great which will be its direct comparison like you said but unlike Rogue One which had all new characters, this is a story based on a well loved character. If the character is off then the movie will fail. The other main obstacle is that it’s coming on the heels of TLJ which good also be a pro if people like this movie but hated TLJ.

Solo has several obstacles. Rogue One was great which will be its direct comparison like you said but unlike Rogue One which had all new characters, this is a story based on a well loved character. If the character is off then the movie will fail. The other main obstacle is that it’s coming on the heels of TLJ which good also be a pro if people like this movie but hated TLJ.
At the same time, the ending of Rogue One was widely known going in. The ending to Solo is also sort of known in a way from what we hear from Han in ANH.

It’ll be about execution in how well the movie does. I expect it to easily be the most humorous SW movie yet.

At the same time, the ending of Rogue One was widely known going in. The ending to Solo is also sort of known in a way from what we hear from Han in ANH.

It’ll be about execution in how well the movie does. I expect it to easily be the most humorous SW movie yet.

As long as it's not "lightsaber to the back of the head humor" that's fine.

I never realized Force Awakens almost made a billion at the US box office and became the highest grossing film of all-time. :lol: Where was I?

Regardless, the sequels have all made less than their first outings. I don't think anyone would be truly displeased with the numbers.

Just watched this in IMAX 3D for free (wife is a manager) I absolutely loved this movie regardless of the obvious plot issues (that don’t need to be rehashed) which might/could be explained in 9. I think the biggest reason I enjoyed it is because I didn’t go into it with any preconceived notions on what I think should happen. I went in to enjoy the movie for what it is and was very happy with the result. I will label myself as a “causal fan” but I have watched all OT movies including prequels.

I will see it sometime this week. Being a casual SW fan, I am curious what I'll think. I have seen each of the previous films at least once in the theater, so I am familiar with the story, but not "in to it."

I saw it and I thought it was great. Personally I thought Rian's attempt at trying to shake up things was more interesting than JJ's rehash of ANH as TFA. Of course it wasn't a perfect film but I don't go into SW movies expecting them to be like the "Oscar winners" kind of movies. I left the theater entertained and with plenty of questions left to ponder. People upset with TLJ need to accept that SW needed a shift in direction and could not stay like the OT forever.

I saw it today in IMAX 3D and, as someone who never really connected with the original trilogy, it's my favorite Star Wars film. I thought it was absolutely gorgeous and I was engaged and invested from start to finish. Since I'm a very casual fan, I wasn't worried about consistencies with the original trilogy and the only thing I was really comparing it to was TFA (which I thoroughly enjoyed).

As for Finn's lack of importance in this movie, it is really frustrating, but I think it's so important that they fail as often as they succeed. The Finn/Rose/Poe mission not only fails, but results in the deaths of dozens of Resistance soldiers when the transporter ships are gunned down. And that's war. Finn and Rose wouldn't have been deemed useless had the plan worked. But they were naive and desperate, so they made mistakes. And as a moviegoer, it's frustrating to spend so much time with them and have no payoff, but that's what made TLJ so hard to watch, but - ironically - rewarding. That it is so devastating for so much of the film. It just made it all the more powerful and engaging for me.

That being said, yeah, Rose felt kinda forced and may very well end up being completely useless.

China still hates Star Wars.

The Rian Johnson-helmed Episode VIII opened with midnight Middle Kingdom screenings on Thursday and played its first full day today (Friday). The unofficial estimate there is about $8.5M-$9.6M with and without previews.

That portends a roughly $25M-$30M three-day, depending on the Sat/Sun play. And there’s not much space in the Middle Kingdom galaxy before Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle swings in next Friday, meaning Jedi will come in well below both Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($124M final) and last year’s Rogue One: A Star Wars Story ($69.5M — both films at historical rates).

Last Jedi Rises To $1.12B, #16 On WW Chart, But China Force Not Strong | Deadline