Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mount Crumpit in Seuss Landing?

But wouldn't you rather have HTTYD in the new park, where they can fully expand on the IP? Lost Continent is kinda small.
Not really. Think of what they did with Diagon Alley in the space of one attraction. If they play it smart they could make an amazing, fully fleshed out land for HTTYD in the Lost Continent. I get what you're saying though, but HTTYD fits in IoA and I still think Christmas land is a bad idea. Integrate those characters at Christmas time definitely, but a year round Rudolph ride, headlining one of the islands in Islands of Adventure? Yikes. Terrible idea in my opinion.

I keep reading that SeaWorld no longer has the rights to Rudolph, yet their 2018 event calendar says that he'll still be there. When exactly is the contract up?

Not really. Think of what they did with Diagon Alley in the space of one attraction. If they play it smart they could make an amazing, fully fleshed out land for HTTYD in the Lost Continent. I get what you're saying though, but HTTYD fits in IoA and I still think Christmas land is a bad idea. Integrate those characters at Christmas time definitely, but a year round Rudolph ride, headlining one of the islands in Islands of Adventure? Yikes. Terrible idea in my opinion.
Just to be clear, I was saying a "Whoville" mini land outside of Mt. Crumpit, that would be Christmas themed

(Reviving thread due to recent movie release.)

After the new Grinch movie does 1 billion next holiday season they will/should green light this.
Update to this:
The new Grinch movie has taken in $207 million domestic and $272 million worldwide so far (Dec 7). This puts it as the #3 on box office sales for a Seuss movie (not adjusted for inflation), behind Universals live action Grinch movie at #1 and Lorax #2. Though I'd imagine since it's still in theaters, it'll pass Lorax soon.

I found this surprising: the new Grinch movie is also #3 for all Christmas themed movies, again behind the live action Grinch (#2). (#1 is Home Alone 1.)

It's also currently #10 for domestic sales in 2018, which is #2 for Universal in 2018 (Jurassic World 2 is #1 for Universal).

But it's currently #30 for worldwide in 2018 which seems pretty bad. I can't find the release schedule for Grinch worldwide so not sure when/where it was released worldwide. Not even sure if it was released in China, which can significantly impact sales (though not sure if UO cares to attract Chinese tourists).

Definitely not going to get to a billion without a proper worldwide successful reception, but the 200+ million domestic (on a 75 million budge) definitely puts it into the "success" bucket.

I haven't seen it yet... Is it any good?

EDIT (12/19):
Grinch is still going strong, likely due to the upcoming Christmas week keeping it relevant. It is projected to make over $270 million domestic. If it does, that'll bump it to the #1 top gross for a Seuss movie (passing the Jim Carry Grinch movie) and placing it at #2 for top grossing Christmas movie of all time.

If it does pass $270 domestic, it'll be the #4 top domestic Illumination movie, passing Sing ($270) but still far behind Minions ($336), DM2 ($368), and Pets ($368).

But again, remember that this is only a big success domestically. It's likely not going to exceed $500 million worldwide, meanwhile Minions and DM3 took in over a billion and DM2 was close to it. So I do have to wonder if a Mt Crumpit ride would draw in American tourists but not do so well for bringing in international tourists.

Edit (12/30):
New Grinch beat out old Grinch, currently at $262 million, puts it at the #1 Seuss movie and #2 Christmas movie. This is not adjusted for inflation, however.

Last edited:
(Reviving thread due to recent movie release.)

Update to this:
The new Grinch movie has taken in $207 million domestic and $272 million worldwide so far (Dec 7). This puts it as the #3 on box office sales for a Seuss movie (not adjusted for inflation), behind Universals live action Grinch movie at #1 and Lorax #2. Though I'd imagine since it's still in theaters, it'll pass Lorax soon.

I found this surprising: the new Grinch movie is also #3 for all Christmas themed movies, again behind the live action Grinch (#2). (#1 is Home Alone 1.)

It's also currently #10 for domestic sales in 2018, which is #2 for Universal in 2018 (Jurassic World 2 is #1 for Universal).

But it's currently #30 for worldwide in 2018 which seems pretty bad. I can't find the release schedule for Grinch worldwide so not sure when/where it was released worldwide. Not even sure if it was released in China, which can significantly impact sales (though not sure if UO cares to attract Chinese tourists).

Definitely not going to get to a billion without a proper worldwide successful reception, but the 200+ million domestic (on a 75 million budge) definitely puts it into the "success" bucket.

I haven't seen it yet... Is it any good?
I want it to do well so we get a Grinch ride...The movie is kind of in a middle zone for me...Grinch was strangely normal in my opinion..Which made the transformation less impactful...The original Grinch cartoon had a Grinch that was a straight up SOB..

Update to Grinch's box office success:
  • Domestic: $270,410,555
  • Foreign: $238,300,000
  • Worldwide total: $508,710,555
#1 worldwide Christmas movie of all time, #2 domestic (Home Alone takes #1 domestic)
#1 Seuss related movie (both domestic and worldwide), beating the Jim Carrey Grinch
#4 Illumination domestic, #7 Illumination worldwide

I ended up seeing it a few weeks back and thought it was pretty good. Keep in mind I never grew up on the franchise myself and I'm not 100% a fan of "Christmas," but the story/acting/writing I thought were all solid.

I think this is a huge failure on Universal's part if they don't do something more with the franchise. It's an IP that has lasted many decades, has huge name recognition, and has box office success. I say they need to open the HP coaster (2019), open the JP coaster (2020), and then open Mount Crumpit! :p

Update to Grinch's box office success:
  • Domestic: $270,410,555
  • Foreign: $238,300,000
  • Worldwide total: $508,710,555
#1 worldwide Christmas movie of all time, #2 domestic (Home Alone takes #1 domestic)
#1 Seuss related movie (both domestic and worldwide), beating the Jim Carrey Grinch
#4 Illumination domestic, #7 Illumination worldwide

I ended up seeing it a few weeks back and thought it was pretty good. Keep in mind I never grew up on the franchise myself and I'm not 100% a fan of "Christmas," but the story/acting/writing I thought were all solid.

I think this is a huge failure on Universal's part if they don't do something more with the franchise. It's an IP that has lasted many decades, has huge name recognition, and has box office success. I say they need to open the HP coaster (2019), open the JP coaster (2020), and then open Mount Crumpit! :p

I'm thinking that LC could be split into two, with part of it going to Grinch and part of it going to Potter (not a ride or anything like that, just an expansion of the town and a natural barrier between the two areas). It would make a lot of sense. Grinch would probably get a trackless E-Ticket if it comes.

I'm thinking that LC could be split into two, with part of it going to Grinch and part of it going to Potter (not a ride or anything like that, just an expansion of the town and a natural barrier between the two areas). It would make a lot of sense. Grinch would probably get a trackless E-Ticket if it comes.
Personally I think it's more likely that Cat in the Hat gets replaced at some point with a Grinch ride. If the rumors about MIB/CitH's ride system no longer being supported by the manufacturer are true, it just seems the most likely option

Personally I think it's more likely that Cat in the Hat gets replaced at some point with a Grinch ride. If the rumors about MIB/CitH's ride system no longer being supported by the manufacturer are true, it just seems the most likely option
Makes sense. Plus CITH is usually pretty much empty except for peak attendance seasons. I actually enjoy the ride, but it seems it's popularity has waned.

The LC area is really big. In particular when you include some backstage that could be relocated. But even without backstage being relocated, it’s massive. More than enough space for a full land with 2-3 attractions, a restaurant or 2 and shops.

One E would be a poor use of space. And I’d rather not have any more potter in IoA if we can help it.

The LC area is really big. In particular when you include some backstage that could be relocated. But even without backstage being relocated, it’s massive. More than enough space for a full land with 2-3 attractions, a restaurant or 2 and shops.

One E would be a poor use of space. And I’d rather not have any more potter in IoA if we can help it.
I agree with everything you said aside one thing - I think IoA could use more Potter "space." Right now it can get very crowded in the area, with consistently long lines for ButterBeer/etc. This is only going to get worse as more foot traffic arrives due to the new HP ride. If any area needs a general 'space' expansion, it's Hoggsmeade.

And we've already seen Universal is open to making small additions to the HP areas, without having to throw down a half billion dollars... Globus Mundi is a good example.

They currently have a facade for Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop (which was featured in the books)... with some extra room, they could make a nice little restaurant, with some extra seating, and could serve baked goods and hot drinks, similar to Beverly Hills Boulangerie (soon to be Today Show) at Universal Studios.

Last edited:
I agree with everything you said aside one thing - I think IoA could use more Potter "space." Right now it can get very crowded in the area, with consistently long lines for ButterBeer/etc. If any areas needs a general 'space' expansion, it's Hoggsmeade.

And we've already seen Universal is open to making small additions to the HP areas, without having to throw down a half billion dollars... Globus Mundi is a good example.

Eh, I don't agree. IoA is bereft of expansion area. Using some potential space for more or less nothing is not a good move.

Eh, I don't agree. IoA is bereft of expansion area. Using some potential space for more or less nothing is not a good move.
It seemed that everyone agreed that LC was a huge space, and now we're saying IoA is lacking expansion space?

Aside from the now closed Sindbad theater in LC as well as all the rest of LC on the chopping block, IoA also has the expansion space near Cat in the Hat and the Toon Lagoon Amphitheater is sitting unused. They're likely not expanding Marvel, they have enough room in JP and Toon Lagoon already... where exactly do you want the extra room?

The "bereft" award goes to Hoggsmeade by far, with people consistently sharing body heat packed in like sardines in the shops and for the night-time show, extra team members needing to be employed just to manage foot-traffic, and guests standing in 20 minute lines for a butterbeer. Not a good idea is for the executives not to see this as their cash cow and an opportunity to make small expansions (see Globus).

Last edited:
It seemed that everyone agreed that LC was a huge space, and now we're saying IoA is lacking expansion space?

It's like 8 acres. It's enough room for a land. You don't waste that on non-attraction-oriented space.

Aside from the now closed Sindbad theater in LC as well as all the rest of LC on the chopping block, IoA also has the expansion space near Cat in the Hat and the Toon Lagoon Amphitheater is sitting unused. They're likely not expanding to Marvel, they have enough room in JP already and Toon Lagoon already... where exactly do you want the extra room?

The theater and the small plot by Seuss are the only other expansion pads in IoA. Using LC for more random Potter space makes no sense.

The "bereft" award goes to Hoggsmeade by far, with people consistently sharing body heat packed in like sardines in the shops and for the show, extra team members needing to be employed just to manage foot-traffic, and guests standing in 20 minute lines for a butterbeer. Not a good idea is for the executives not to see this as their cash cow and an opportunity to make small expansions (see Globus).

Globus is not an expansion. It was taking underutilized space and turning it into something else. Not wasting valuable attraction expansion areas for nothing

I agree with everything you said aside one thing - I think IoA could use more Potter "space." Right now it can get very crowded in the area, with consistently long lines for ButterBeer/etc. This is only going to get worse as more foot traffic arrives due to the new HP ride. If any area needs a general 'space' expansion, it's Hoggsmeade.

They currently have a facade for Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop (which was featured in the books)... with some extra room, they could make a nice little restaurant, with some extra seating, and could serve baked goods and hot drinks, similar to Beverly Hills Boulangerie (soon to be Today Show) at Universal Studios.

I, and I think the majority on here would agree, that it would have been great had they taken the opportunity with DC closing to expand Hogsmeade's footprint. An extra street/row of shops would've been fantastic. They didn't, unfortunately.
But I think the expansion would've been better if they went wider on Hogsmeade (into the locker area and beginning of queue of DC's old area) vs making it longer to take over part of LC. So seeing what it is now, I think Potter should be done.

It's like 8 acres. It's enough room for a land. You don't waste that on non-attraction-oriented space.
Sure, ok, so you have all of the ~8 acres for strictly attractions. No restaurants or shops. Because those would be "more or less nothing."

I, and I think the majority on here would agree, that it would have been great had they taken the opportunity with DC closing to expand Hogsmeade's footprint. An extra street/row of shops would've been fantastic. They didn't, unfortunately.
But I think the expansion would've been better if they went wider on Hogsmeade (into the locker area and beginning of queue of DC's old area) vs making it longer to take over part of LC. So seeing what it is now, I think Potter should be done.
This is at least logical.