Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 166 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree there should be an original element, but I also don't agree with your assessment that they add nothing because we "know the story". Hell, I don't even know the story of Kung Fu Panda or HTTYD never mind your average tourist.

Rides like that are good for advertising the BRAND. They make you interested in the IP and think "maybe I should check out the movie". Again, they should have an original twist and not be a retelling, but boat rides/omni-movers serve their purpose and have high hourly capacities. Not sure why so many seem to be against them.

That was in terms of dark rides simply retelling films. Like I said, its the creativity of the ride. FEA, JOTLM, etc bore me because its a story I already know and it doesn't add anything new. Its like how the film Lion King 1 1/2 supplements Lion King perfectly because despite it being 50% the same movie it adds a brand new perspective which makes its super fresh. Its less about thrill and more about creativity and story.

I want something Trolls...

Can't stop the feelin'... So just dance, dance, dance, come on!

The things becomes are we also trolls or are we Bergens? And also Trolls poop cupcakes....thats adds another level of realism that some people may not appreciate...

Visually though Troll Valley would be great and also counter Pandora with glow in the dark paint at night.

USF seems so samey because too many of the rides are stationary simulators. I agree there should be differentiation in ride systems, but boat rides and omnimovers are so 1970.

I just want to see Universal continue to push the envelope. Using ride systems from the 70s is just not what I want to see.
I want them to push envelope too, but I also really enjoy slower paced attractions just for the calming nature of them. For instance - The Peoplemover is one of my favorite attractions in all of WDW for that reason. Not that I don't like more thrilling experiences because I do - but it's because it's so different from almost all other rides at the resort. So simple, but so satisfying.

I want them to push envelope too, but I also really enjoy slower paced attractions just for the calming nature of them. For instance - The Peoplemover is one of my favorite attractions in all of WDW for that reason. Not that I don't like more thrilling experiences because I do - but it's because it's so different from almost all other rides at the resort. So simple, but so satisfying.

Rides don't need to be thrilling, I just want modern. I'm already slightly disappointed Yoshi is an omnimover in Nintendo. I don't want them to be a common thing in Park 3.

That's clearly not the kind of boat ride people are talking about here. :lol:
You're assuming too much.

I'm not talking about any kind of boat ride in particular - when I say "boat ride", it doesn't automatically equal IASW. I'm talking about literally ANY boat ride (that you don't get wet). I just want an experience that feels different. Jaws was awesome and i'd take something like that again any day of the week if I could.

You're assuming too much.

I'm not talking about any kind of boat ride in particular - when I say "boat ride", it doesn't automatically equal IASW. I'm talking about literally ANY boat ride (that you don't get wet). I just want an experience that feels different. Jaws was awesome and i'd take something like that again any day of the week if I could.

You kept talking about "relaxing experiences". I wouldn't consider JAWS to be relaxing, but my mistake.

Despite their dark nature, parents skimming height requirements for USF back in the day would see Kongrontation, Earthquake, and JAWS as having no height requirement as a positive sign that the whole family was welcome to the park. Today that is not so much the same case. The rides that have replaced these, (and even Fallon replacing Twister/Ghostbusters) has left the park with no rides without a height limit.

My intent on saying the new park will include many new attractions without height requirements, including dark rides and maybe a boat ride, was my way of saying Universal is aware of the effects of the changes made in USF and plans to offer some sort of course correct at the new park... Similar to their course correcting on too much reliance on screens and simulators... which leads me to believe, we be gettin some dark rides y'all!

You kept talking about "relaxing experiences". I wouldn't consider JAWS to be relaxing, but my mistake.
Comparatively to pretty much all rides at Universal right now, Jaws is a "relaxing experience" - emphasis on "experience". I like things like Jungle Cruise where there's a guide or things like that. Jaws was certainly more intense than that, but it was a decent length, but packed some adventure.

Maybe "relaxing" isn't the right word to attach to what i'm trying to describe, but "passive".

Reactions: Ashhanbre
Despite their dark nature, parents skimming height requirements for USF back in the day would see Kongrontation, Earthquake, and JAWS as having no height requirement as a positive sign that the whole family was welcome to the park. Today that is not so much the same case. The rides that have replaced these, (and even Fallon replacing Twister/Ghostbusters) has left the park with no rides without a height limit.

My intent on saying the new park will include many new attractions without height requirements, including dark rides and maybe a boat ride, was my way of saying Universal is aware of the effects of the changes made in USF and plans to offer some sort of course correct at the new park... Similar to their course correcting on too much reliance on screens and simulators... which leads me to believe, we be gettin some dark rides y'all!
Which isn't a bad thing. Everyone isn't going to like EVERY ride and every ride isn't going to be targeted at every demographic - it's just not possible. But the different experiences need to be there to mix things up and like you said, make families feel like they are actually welcomed in the park.

Right now the first thing a family sees when they walk in the gates at USF is a height measurement stick that has every ride in the park listed on it, which can be disconcerting as a parent.

I read somewhere on the web :)...that two or three years ago Universal sent out a super long survey and asked questions about how you would like six lands in a new theme park designed. The choices supposedly were pick two: dark rides, hybrids, simulators, coasters etc for each land. Also whether to include entertainment, shows, restaurants etc. ...If this survey truly existed:), it would be really interesting to see the results.

All well and good. I'm not against rides without height requirements. I'm against rides with ancient ride systems.

I read somewhere on the web :)...that two or three years ago Universal sent out a super long survey and asked questions about how you would like six lands in a new theme park designed. The choices supposedly were pick two: dark rides, hybrids, simulators, coasters etc for each land. Also whether to include entertainment, shows, restaurants etc. ...If this survey truly existed:), it would be really interesting to see the results.

It existed. I took it.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Which isn't a bad thing. Everyone isn't going to like EVERY ride and every ride isn't going to be targeted at every demographic - it's just not possible. But the different experiences need to be there to mix things up and like you said, make families feel like they are actually welcomed in the park.

Right now the first thing a family sees when they walk in the gates at USF is a height measurement stick that has every ride in the park listed on it, which can be disconcerting as a parent.
Hence my original statement that Universal will attempt to compete with Magic Kingdom with the new park. Not because it will have boring rides. Not because it will use nostalgia. And not because it will only be appealing to small children. I think they will try harder to cater to all family demographics.

That doesn't mean there won't be at least one major coaster. Just like the other two parks, I expect a visible steel coaster to be one of the major attractions for the thrill seekers in the family. Doesn't mean there won't be rides grown-ups will like.

I'm hoping that much like Magic Kingdom, the new park has A LOT of attractions. I'm always amazed at just how many rides are crammed into that tiny park. And they're even adding more!

I took that survey, and I'm not gonna lie, that's partly where I get the idea Universal is listening to parents when designing the new park. That survey was chock full of indoor boat ride this / all-ages dark ride that.

I love Jurassic Park River Adventure, but even I wish sometimes it didn't end in a giant drop. You take that drop out and you got a ride that everyone can enjoy. Without the Triceratops encounter, the only dinos small children (and folks not into drop rides) can experience is the baby triceratops (when it's around) the baby raptor hatching, and now the Raptor Encounter. And those are all puppets. Must feel kind of alienating to be a kid that loves dinos not allowed to see them on the ride. Even Spielberg makes them stop the ride before the drop, and says he's never actually ridden past the rex because he's too chicken.

That's the type of thing I hope is addressed at the new park. Jaws is an exciting adventure, without a height-limiting scary drop at the end. More of that would be great.

And forget all you haters. I love The Cat in the Hat ride.

Uni management firmly believes the the theme park demographic is ages 5-80.
So basically 38-40" and up.

I think they have fully realized that with Potter and the expansion of their hotels. Who's paying for all the meals? merch? hotel stays? In the VAST MAJORITY of cases, it's families paying for all of that. As a theme park operator, you want your appeal to be as wide as possible.

So basically 38-40" and up.

I think they have fully realized that with Potter and the expansion of their hotels. Who's paying for all the meals? merch? hotel stays? In the VAST MAJORITY of cases, it's families paying for all of that. As a theme park operator, you want your appeal to be as wide as possible.

This is where my qualm lies with a lot of the cries for Uni to compete with the MK.

I just don't think that is possible. I don't think the demographics that make MK what it is will ever flock to Uni at a reasonable rate for them to structure Site B around them. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I am if they're really going to go after them. But I think Uni's goal of aiming a few years higher for their customer base has always been the smarter play. Their domination of tweens/teens just seems like the better play.

We'll see.

Universals' main demo is millennial...

Millennials are the key to Universal’s share gains, thanks in large part to Universal’s investment in this generation’s beloved characters and franchises. From 2014 through 2016, almost half of Universal’s entire attendance has been made up by Millennials. Additionally, Universal parks successfully draw a higher percentage of men than many of its competitors. Universal is succeeding by luring non-traditional theme park guests — a trend that started when the company began capitalizing on a special, four-eyed aspiring wizard.

While families are great, you don't at the same time dismiss your key demo for another demo.

This is where my qualm lies with a lot of the cries for Uni to compete with the MK.

I just don't think that is possible. I don't think the demographics that make MK what it is will ever flock to Uni at a reasonable rate for them to structure Site B around them. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I am if they're really going to go after them. But I think Uni's goal of aiming a few years higher for their customer base has always been the smarter play. Their domination of tweens/teens just seems like the better play.

We'll see.
Tweens/teens don't pay the bills. I know you're referring to teens/tweens going on vacation with their parents, but...

...if you're Universal, wouldn't you rather grab the families attention while the kids are young so the come back as many times as possible before they turn 18? Point being, Going to Disney has sort of just become a thing you do from generation to generation now. It's ingrained into the culture of America. I think Universal wants to keep digging away at that and, over time, make it so that when you think of Orlando, maybe you should think of Harry Potter instead of Cinderella's Castle.

Reactions: Alicia
Hence my original statement that Universal will attempt to compete with Magic Kingdom with the new park. Not because it will have boring rides. Not because it will use nostalgia. And not because it will only be appealing to small children. I think they will try harder to cater to all family demographics.

That doesn't mean there won't be at least one major coaster. Just like the other two parks, I expect a visible steel coaster to be one of the major attractions for the thrill seekers in the family. Doesn't mean there won't be rides grown-ups will like.

I'm hoping that much like Magic Kingdom, the new park has A LOT of attractions. I'm always amazed at just how many rides are crammed into that tiny park. And they're even adding more!

I took that survey, and I'm not gonna lie, that's partly where I get the idea Universal is listening to parents when designing the new park. That survey was chock full of indoor boat ride this / all-ages dark ride that.

I love Jurassic Park River Adventure, but even I wish sometimes it didn't end in a giant drop. You take that drop out and you got a ride that everyone can enjoy. Without the Triceratops encounter, the only dinos small children (and folks not into drop rides) can experience is the baby triceratops (when it's around) the baby raptor hatching, and now the Raptor Encounter. And those are all puppets. Must feel kind of alienating to be a kid that loves dinos not allowed to see them on the ride. Even Spielberg makes them stop the ride before the drop, and says he's never actually ridden past the rex because he's too chicken.

That's the type of thing I hope is addressed at the new park. Jaws is an exciting adventure, without a height-limiting scary drop at the end. More of that would be great.

And forget all you haters. I love The Cat in the Hat ride.
I agree with you on all your points. My feelings pretty much too. I think Disneyheads demo is right on. Universal's not really after toddlers, but once they can walk pretty good, they'll take them.

Reactions: Disneyhead and Nick
Status
Not open for further replies.