Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 168 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the hottest of takes.

Not everything in a theme park is meant to cater to you. It's meant to cater to grander, general audience. There is a place for fast thrills and a place for slow enjoyment. One of Universal's biggest weaknesses is the lack of attractions where you can just... sit back and take it all in.
Oh I know it’s not shared by most and theme parks need them. Just for me, they are boring for the most part on continuous rides. Used my Disney AP too many times to count in the past few years and while I book fast passed while there for Pooh or LM, it’s to waste time to the next FP. They serve their purpose for the large market they reach, but give me Spider-Man over HM all day.

Oh I know it’s not shared by most and theme parks need them. Just for me, they are boring for the most part on continuous rides. Used my Disney AP too many times to count in the past few years and while I book fast passed while there for Pooh or LM, it’s to waste time to the next FP. They serve their purpose for the large market they reach, but give me Spider-Man over HM all day.
I have often said you may get a pair of 3-D goggles when you go on Spiderman, but you get a pair of nostalgia goggles when you go on HM and Pirates...I love HM, but I'm not sure sometimes if it's because it's iconic, or because it fits the "Uncle Walt touched it" narrative that is pervasive throughout a vast amount of MK...

I also argue that Spiderman is a HM and Pirates for the new Millenium...Perhaps our kids will talk about wanting them "Old school 3-D rides" when they are older

Reactions: Mad Dog
To me Spider Man is kind of like a modern day high tech dark ride. But, I agree with BriMan and the others that Universal could really use a couple more casual classic style dark rides. One reason I really like ET and hope it stays. Another ET type attraction in the Studios park would really help balance the park.

To me Spider Man is kind of like a modern day high tech dark ride. But, I agree with BriMan and the others that Universal could really use a couple more casual classic style dark rides. One reason I really like ET and hope it stays. Another ET type attraction in the Studios park would really help balance the park.
And even ET is far more thrilling than Peter Pan. So even Universals dark rides can be a little more edgy. There’s a lot more up and down motion on ET you don’t get on Peter Pan, plus scary surprises and dark mysterious effects. It’s like a more grown up version of a classic dark ride.

And even ET is far more thrilling than Peter Pan. So even Universals dark rides can be a little more edgy. There’s a lot more up and down motion on ET you don’t get on Peter Pan, plus scary surprises and dark mysterious effects. It’s like a more grown up version of a classic dark ride.
PLUS an Acid Trip, and you don't even have to eat those funny mushrooms to experience it. ;):clap::lol:

Orlando is getting quite a few new darks in the next couple of years. Pretty soon the complaint won't be about screenz, it will be about too many trackless dark rides.
Trackless technology is so adaptable though. It's all about what you build around the trackless base that determines the ride experience in the case of that type of ride.

Disney has MMRR, Rat, and Battle Escape. All very different experiences. Uni has SLoP and VillianCon to play with.
That's my point is that although the same ride system. it can create a seemingly infinite amount of ride experiences, whereas simple simulators get flacked for screenz because it's literally all the ride is (I'm talking DMMM, Fallon, Star Tours, Simpsons, Soarin', FoP, etc).

Last edited:
Reactions: Andysol
Trackless technology is so adaptable though. It's all about what you build around the trackless base that determines the ride experience in the case of that type of ride.

Agreed, it all comes down to what they build around the trackless base, and how they utilize the trackless technology. Though I will say, I really hope to see more trackless dark rides which actually take advantage of the tech, since so far there's only -one- which really has!

That ride would be Pooh's Hunny Hunt, which I feel is still the Gold Standard of utilizing the trackless technology. The multiple big rooms to allow the cars to seemingly go wherever they please, the extra RV with static figures joining in later on. It truly is a ride that can only be done with that trackless tech.

But for everything else, either the tech is only being used for very few moments (Mystic Manor, Ratatouille), or it's being wasted completely by being forced into a liner path with no wiggle room. With those latter ones you could literally put in a track and get the exact same experience.

I'm all for more trackless dark rides, but I want to see them really utilize that tech.

As long as its better than Antarctica. What makes a dark ride good is how well it hides things and how well the scenery and atmosphere put you in a dream state of mind, transporting you to another world. On Antarctica I felt like I was in a big white room with a bunch of other cars just spinning around in circles.

. If they get Middle Earth that'll be huge for older kids and obsessed fanboys (and older nerds that read the books and loved it well before the films came out.)

I wouldn't sell LotR so short. It remains the Oscar winning-est franchise in cinematic history, being both an audience favorite and a critical darling. It's adapted from an incredibly popular book series and released a three part prequel just couple years ago. It redefined the film franchise. People are still watching and rewatching these movies. The number of people who would visit just because they built Middle Earth is far and above your estimate.

I find this is a bit like the "Star Wars is for NERDS" narrative. Like seriously, this franchise made (and continues to make) an unholy amount of money. Sure, not everyone is into the EU or the general minutiae, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't fork over good money to ride in the Millennium Falcon.

Guys Millennial's are in their 20's to mid 30's and have careers, families, and kids. Why do people on here keep talking about them like they're kids with no economic resources?

Exactly. We do our taxes and everything. Also, kids born the year Fellowship was released will be able to vote next year.

As for Mike's comment about HP, there are people in their 30's that are getting engaged at WWoHP. They're having HP themed weddings and HP decorated nurseries for their incoming spawn. Even those who came in a little later in the game can still rent themselves a car. HP is over 20 years old. It's beloved by both adults and the kids who are discovering it for the first time. In short, these fanbases, including those who just casually enjoy these franchises, is much larger than the demographics y'all are pinning down.

Reactions: RevFreako
I wouldn't sell LotR so short. It remains the Oscar winning-est franchise in cinematic history, being both an audience favorite and a critical darling. It's adapted from an incredibly popular book series and released a three part prequel just couple years ago. It redefined the film franchise. People are still watching and rewatching these movies. The number of people who would visit just because they built Middle Earth is far and above your estimate.

I find this is a bit like the "Star Wars is for NERDS" narrative. Like seriously, this franchise made (and continues to make) an unholy amount of money. Sure, not everyone is into the EU or the general minutiae, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't fork over good money to ride in the Millennium Falcon.

Exactly. We do our taxes and everything. Also, kids born the year Fellowship was released will be able to vote next year.

As for Mike's comment about HP, there are people in their 30's that are getting engaged at WWoHP. They're having HP themed weddings and HP decorated nurseries for their incoming spawn. Even those who came in a little later in the game can still rent themselves a car. HP is over 20 years old. It's beloved by both adults and the kids who are discovering it for the first time. In short, these fanbases, including those who just casually enjoy these franchises, is much larger than the demographics y'all are pinning down.
I was in no way trying to diminish or be derogatory towards lord of the rings. It’s hugely popular around the world. I was just saying it’ll make older kids and big fans of the series very happy. Like Potter, it’s a franchise where the people that love it the most, (and especially those that were fans of the books to begin with,) will be willing to travel from around the world to visit the new land when it opens. Of course lots of different types of people love it. But some folks love it so much they’ll go absolutely insane if they open a land at the new park. It could be huge for Universal, and they know it.

And I’m a nerd myself, so I’m allowed to call people nerds. ;)

I was in no way trying to diminish or be derogatory towards lord of the rings. It’s hugely popular around the world. I was just saying it’ll make older kids and big fans of the series very happy. Like Potter, it’s a franchise where the people that love it the most, (and especially those that were fans of the books to begin with,) will be willing to travel from around the world to visit the new land when it opens. Of course lots of different types of people love it. But some folks love it so much they’ll go absolutely insane if they open a land at the new park. It could be huge for Universal, and they know it.

And I’m a nerd myself, so I’m allowed to call people nerds. ;)
Redirect Notice

Reactions: Joel
Could UniverSal allow Disney to buyout their Marvel rights to finance LOTR rights while grandfathering the existing rides?

Where is LOTR theme park rights now that the settlement is a half year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.