Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 469 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
In that giant spot where Mario Kart was going to be? I highly doubt Pokemon and Hello Kitty play areas + flat rides + gift shops would take up the entire spot.
Just asking as you didn’t mention any big rides. Really the whole thing could be Pokémon. Just theme it as a kind of nature preserve. Include lots of cutesy Pokémon to meet and done and done.

Reactions: captainmoch
Just asking as you didn’t mention any big rides. Really the whole thing could be Pokémon. Just theme it as a kind of nature preserve. Include lots of cutesy Pokémon to meet and done and done.
The whole thing COULD be Pokemon, but I wouldn't bemoan them for putting Hello Kitty too as it's just as marketable of an IP, likely wouldn't take up a whole lot of space, and isn't a terrible fit next to Pokemon.

Now if they did something completely random, such as say, Trolls or Sing next to Pokemon, that I wouldn't be up for. But I think two of the most iconic Japanese mascot characters of all time being adjacent is not a stretch by any means.

Again this land isn't made just with you in mind. Its for everyone. Sanrio sold more merch (4.8 Billion in sales #12 in top brand licensor) and goods than Pokemon (3.3 billion #19) last year....that is a 100% proven fact despite whatever this site likes to make about well the store at Universal being empty. Most likely they will just theme the land to Tokyo to keep the "real location" theme going.

The Top 150 Global Licensors | License! Global

I’m not saying HK isn’t popular. I’m saying limiting the much more popular and need for a large plot of land Pokémon just to add it in makes little sense to me. Either make KZ all of HK or all of Pokémon. Pokémon deserves it’s own area.

I’m not saying HK isn’t popular. I’m saying limiting the much more popular and need for a large plot of land Pokémon just to add it in makes little sense to me. Either make KZ all of HK or all of Pokémon. Pokémon deserves it’s own area.

Don't get me wrong, I would 100% prefer an all Pokémon based land. At the same time, Pokémon's biggest weakness is the fact every game the region changes and the generation changes etc unlike the other games which have extremely similar lands. That strongly limits what they can do if they choose a region instead of some battle resort etc. Makes so much more sense to do something smaller like battle resort with poke center and safari area than a full fledge land that are trying to fill in.

Reactions: captainmoch
Pretty solid on Hello Kitty in KidZone. Zelda in Lost Continent. And Mushroom Kingdom in the 3rd gate.

Also some Nintendo property along with Hello Kitty, but fuzzy on whether it's Pokemon.

Does Zelda feature a ride or a show like the original plans?

Don't get me wrong, I would 100% prefer an all Pokémon based land. At the same time, Pokémon's biggest weakness is the fact every game the region changes and the generation changes etc unlike the other games which have extremely similar lands. That strongly limits what they can do if they choose a region instead of some battle resort etc. Makes so much more sense to do something smaller like battle resort with poke center and safari area than a full fledge land that are trying to fill in.
Highly disagree, but will keep this thread on track and leave it there.

Why can’t a battle resort and Safari be a whole land? I’ve mentioned this before but I envision two huge state of the art E Tickets. The Safari ride with a mix of large scale AAs and screens (the screens make it easy to add new Pokémon) and a Pokémon Stadium allowing people to bring Pokémon battles to life like never before (AR, screens, projections, etc.) by either “renting” Pokémon or using their own from their games. Then add in the smaller rides and shopping and dining and there you go.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
Why can’t a battle resort and Safari be a whole land? I’ve mentioned this before but I envision two huge state of the art E Tickets. The Safari ride with a mix of large scale AAs and screens (the screens make it easy to add new Pokémon) and a Pokémon Stadium allowing people to bring Pokémon battles to life like never before (AR, screens, projections, etc.) by either “renting” Pokémon or using their own from their games. Then add in the smaller rides and shopping and dining and there you go.
I think two E-tickets is a bit much to expect considering Mario's plans consist of only one e-ticket... unless you consider DKC an E-ticket, but that seems much more like a D-ticket range in my eyes.

My ideal with Pokémon is an e-ticket interactive dark ride that's basically Ride and Go Seek from TDL but in the context of Pokemon; go on a lengthy Safari through natural Pokemon environments with 151 A.A. figures of Pokémon. Riders can try to highlight all 151 of them with a camera/flashlight/etc. The other main attraction would be some sort of interactive experience similar to Ollivanders, but with the guests choosing their starter Pokémon. Both of these are accompanied by several family friendly Fantasyland-esque flat rides, such as a Pokémon carousel, a mount Pokémon-themed whip ride, a Charizard themed spinner, etc. And honestly, that's not something I see taking up much room. Pokémon doesn't need a huge area as long as it's fleshed out well.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
I think two E-tickets is a bit much to expect considering Mario's plans consist of only one e-ticket... unless you consider DKC an E-ticket, but that seems much more like a D-ticket range in my eyes.

My ideal with Pokémon is an e-ticket interactive dark ride that's basically Ride and Go Seek from TDL but in the context of Pokemon; go on a lengthy Safari through natural Pokemon environments with 151 A.A. figures of Pokémon. Riders can try to highlight all 151 of them with a camera/flashlight/etc. The other main attraction would be some sort of interactive experience similar to Ollivanders, but with the guests choosing their starter Pokémon. Both of these are accompanied by several family friendly Fantasyland-esque flat rides, such as a Pokémon carousel, a mount Pokémon-themed whip ride, a Charizard themed spinner, etc. And honestly, that's not something I see taking up much room. Pokémon doesn't need a huge area as long as it's fleshed out well.
Donkey Kong feels like E territory to me as long as it has good scenes and good length like Thunder Mountain or Hong Kong’s Grizzly Mountain.

Just speaking for myself, I consider myself a big fan of Mario I have so many happy memories of Super Mario Bros 1,2,3 and 64 and Sunshine and so the idea of a Mario Land at my favorite theme parks was crazy exciting and while I'm sure walking through the land will be neat, ultimately you pay the ticket for the rides and these rides aren't exciting to me. I have always hated Mario Kart and have never had much time for Donkey Kong Country and Yoshi's Island. The fact that there is no ride tied into what makes this stuff so great is odd.

It's just crazy to me that a property I love so much is coming to a resort I adore and there dosen't seem to be anything worth getting excited about. I'm not saying they won't be well made attractions, I'm sure they will be, but when I imagine Mario these aren't coming anywhere close and I can't help but be disappointed in that.

One thing I am curious about is that if they end up doing AR, how will the objects appear to those in the second row of seats. The AR objects on the track should theoretically be slightly obstructed by the heads in front of you, otherwise they will appear to be floating between you and the front row.

From the tiny bit of research I have done, AR is barely to the point of handling and calculating stationary object for the AR to hide behind. How could it calculate and compensate the heads in front when they are in constant motion due to human movements in the vehicle?

Last edited:

That's the another part of the issue...there are 700 Pokémon currently. One attraction with all AAs is already going to cost an enormous amount and you have to appease the new generations as well as the old generations so you can't just skip out on a certain Pokémon.

One thing I am curious about is that if they end up doing AR, how will the objects appear to those in the second row of seats. The AR objects on the track should theoretically be slightly obstructed by the heads in front of you, otherwise they will appear to be floating between you and the front row.

From the tiny bit of research I have done, AR is hardly to the point of handling and calculating stationary object for the AR to hide behind. How could it calculate and compensate the heads in front when they are in constant motion due to human movements in the vehicle?

I would not be surprised if the work stoppage in Japan was due to them ditching AR. I just don't see it as ready for primetime, but who knows, maybe they have something up their sleeves

That's the another part of the issue...there are 700 Pokémon currently. One attraction with all AAs is already going to cost an enormous amount and you have to appease the new generations as well as the old generations so you can't just skip out on a certain Pokémon.

Nah. Just pick a select few popular ones to represent.

(There's also 806 Pokémon)

I would not be surprised if the work stoppage in Japan was due to them ditching AR. I just don't see it as ready for primetime, but who knows, maybe they have something up their sleeves
I've never thought that AR was ready for prime time.

It seems like major tech trends go through a filteration process.
  • Major tech companies develop out the technology. It's somewhat accessible to consumers in the form of glorified tech demos (AR is stuck here)
  • Tech becomes more approachable and some specialized firms emerge. Tech becomes more accessible through expensive products from those firms (VR is here)
  • A platform emerges and it becomes a lot easier to build things with the tech. Floodgates open (Apps)
I just don't think AR is far enough in the process for it to be accessible to Universal in a scalable way that could support a theme park ride.