Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 314 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Teebin
That southeastern mowed area bordering Destination parkway was the red foreclosure parcel. Its eastern boundary was at the stormwater drainage/retention area that @Happytycho is saying can't be built on.

That wetland about 40 acres in size, but I'd imagine that Universal would want to free up that swampy area up to Shingle Creek by exchanging it with conservation wetland elsewhere if they need it later on given it's so close to where the theme parks and such will be.

Either way this is stuff that will matter way down the road in all likelihood.

The theme park(s), CityWalk 2.0, water park, and first 5,000+ hotel rooms won't have any space issues.

So what about the land near the turnpike?

I’d wager Universal would love to get a direct exit their way.

With so much land being purchased and spreading out in so many directions. If Universal decided to go the monorail route, I’m thinking down Universal Blvd might not be the easiest solution any more.

On the drive from Atlanta to Orlando I frequently see billboards advertising wetland credits you can purchase. My understanding is you can buy the wetlands credit and take out the similar amount in another area so that the amount of wetlands remains the same.

For the most part I agree, but it'll be almost a mile walk for the convention center to the assumed Citiwalk location. I'd expect more of a constant running free shuttle with a dedicated pickup location at the OCCC.

It feels like 13 miles from the moment you park your car to park entrance now lol

On the drive from Atlanta to Orlando I frequently see billboards advertising wetland credits you can purchase. My understanding is you can buy the wetlands credit and take out the similar amount in another area so that the amount of wetlands remains the same.
Yea. Having lived in Poinciana surrounded by a Disney preserve they bought so they could develop on their WDW land I am well aware of it. Had to drive around it like a big box blocking my path out to civilization cause you couldn’t build a road through it. Added 20-30 min drive to what could’ve been like 5 if they had just carved out a street for me! But hey, Florida panthers are cute so I shouldn’t complain.

Reactions: Frank Drackman
Let's not get overly optimistic.

Could 2022 happen? Sure. But it's not a likelihood. You have to remember, this is an entire new resort with a new park, citywalk, hotels, etc all being built on land that needs to be cleaned up first. They also are going to want to carefully plan out how they build out this first phase so it leaves them in a great position for a Second water park, more hotels and a potential fourth theme park far down the line.

This isn't something you rush.

I think they already have plans drawn up an ready to be submitted. It's not like they showed up at work today and said "what are we going to do with this land?" They've been working on this for months, if not years. They had a plan for getting all of this land and it probably played out how they planned, if not quicker. Stan Thomas pushing the issue might have saved them from having to wait for foreclosures. I'd say they've already had closed door meetings with the right people in the county to get this fast tracked. The stormwater plans they submitted recently shows they are ready to start moving dirt. And I'm sure they will start doing site prep for park construction under the guise of the stormwater plans. Not digging foundations or anything like that, but they will have the land largely sloped and ready to go once the real plans are approved. I think we'll see serious work going on by the end of the year.

The cleanup question is interesting. I've heard it referenced here, but never with any real authority. Is there anywhere that shows that cleanup still has to be done?

I really wonder where the main entrance/citiwalk is going to be. There are tons of spots to put it.

The most obvious location is on the SW corner facing the OCCC.

I think they already have plans drawn up an ready to be submitted. It's not like they showed up at work today and said "what are we going to do with this land?" They've been working on this for months, if not years. They had a plan for getting all of this land and it probably played out how they planned, if not quicker. Stan Thomas pushing the issue might have saved them from having to wait for foreclosures. I'd say they've already had closed door meetings with the right people in the county to get this fast tracked. The stormwater plans they submitted recently shows they are ready to start moving dirt. And I'm sure they will start doing site prep for park construction under the guise of the stormwater plans. Not digging foundations or anything like that, but they will have the land largely sloped and ready to go once the real plans are approved. I think we'll see serious work going on by the end of the year.

The cleanup question is interesting. I've heard it referenced here, but never with any real authority. Is there anywhere that shows that cleanup still has to be done?

The most obvious location is on the SW corner facing the OCCC.
The only place I have found for cleanup is EPA superfund site and this is a start for links It seems they have mitigated most of the waste on this site so I don't think it is a big deal. Mostly TCE which does travel and contaminate groundwater but has been stopped and confined onsite. I think they have a clear path to developing this site now.

Reactions: fryoj
Wasn't there a suggestion about Universal buying other wetlands and exchanging so those could be developed? Like Disney did recently when they bought those 3000 acres to exchange and free up some acreage around their parks?

I'd think they'd at least want to free that acreage up that'd be a part of the 2nd resort proper.
I think they can use the existing parts that cannot be developed for offsets against moving/shrinking the ponds that are present. Could be good they have them in the deal. Shingle creek has a special consideration as it is a headwater of the flow to the everglades and is protected so I don't think they can put any development on the banks but they can reap credits for preserving it.

So you are saying there is a soundstage somewhere that has a lot of security around it.

Wouldn't shock me, considering Diagon, Kong, Volcano Bay, Nintendo, oh; and also--

you get the picture. It doesn't shock me that there is a rough model or mockup of Gate III/IV (Call it by your wish), as I wouldn't be shocked it's being kept secret alongside Beijing work.

Reactions: Andysol
I think we see the following at the new site:
-1 New Dry Park (leaving space next to it for a 2nd park after 10-15 years.
-1 New Water Park (possibly a year or 2 after the dry park, I think Uni can support an additional water park as I believe Sea World will tank eventually and Aquatica will probably be sold, which allows Uni to receive additional guests)
-1 "Prime Value" Hotel similar to Cabana Bay
-1 Value Hotel IF Endless Summer is showing near to full bookings.
- 1 Moderate (ala Sapphire)
-1 Luxury Hotel (ala Portofino)
-CityWalk 2.0 (aka Universal Springs: I see this being a larger version of CityWalk, but not as big as Disney Springs, having 1 or no clubs at all, and more family friendly. I also see them either moving BMG here or adding Cirque.
-For transportation, I believe they are chasing the idea of adding a monorail or something similar but know it'll take a while for that to happen so they will take the bus route. I also expect a duplicate of the Uni parking garages (just one, for now).

They then have enough land to add multiple hotels. I think at the end of the day Comcast's goal is to have 3 fleshed out parks, 2 water parks, and 20 hotels. I only see them adding a 4th park if there's demand.

Okay, so I did research on the Brownfield/cleanup issue, and it appears that all of the Universal purchased land completed its cleanup around 2004, but there's 2 interesting parcels that are still listed in the FDEP database: those 2 red parcels on Universal Blvd. as well as one of the older parcels that was sold years ago.

Here's the map of Brownfield sites around Lockheed's plant (those 2 parcels on the left are the red foreclosure parcels that Universal did not buy):

VNhwSax.jpg

BF481604000
Universal Boulevard East ROCC
BF481604001
UCPM Pershing Site

BF481603000
Universal Boulevard West ROCC
BF481603001
UCPM Former Landfill 4 Site

BF481602000
OEP Universal Blvd: ROCC Brownfield Area
BF481602001
UCPM Former Landfill 5 Site

What's interesting is there's no SRCO (completion order) on those parcels, so does that mean that the cleanup for those is ongoing? Is that why Universal didn't buy those 2 red parcels? Just another layer of intrigue I guess, but the good news is it sounds like there won't be any cleanup issues for the Universal purchased land.

Tweet? Oh, no this was in a verified theme park forum where nothing but the bare facts ever sees the light of day. You posted it mister so it must be true.
Yes. Brian rarely divulges anything , so when a hint exposes itself :private:, as Merrill Lynch commercials used to boast, "People listen". And as Stan Lee would so often write, "Nuff said"....:thumbsup:.....;):lol:

Universal owned this land before, and I'm sure there was a plan to develop it.
I'm wondering how far those plans where ready and if anything from that design will make it over to the current development. If the past is any indication an idea never gets lost and finds it way into new rides.

I think they already have plans drawn up an ready to be submitted. It's not like they showed up at work today and said "what are we going to do with this land?" They've been working on this for months, if not years.
I know that.

A lot still is going to go into this. You don't rush an entirely new theme park resort is my point. I also don't see real construction beginning until next year and theme parks always take at least three years to build.

So like I said, is 2022 possible? Yes. But I wouldn't get my hopes up. I'm expecting this no sooner than 2023 so if we do happen to get it earlier, it'll be a nice treat.

Reactions: Alicia
Status
Not open for further replies.