Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 321 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this has been discussed, but will UNI expand their relationship with Loews? Will a couple new hotels be premier? Will unlimited express apply to the New park(s)? A lot to chew on I know.

Not sure if this has been discussed, but will UNI expand their relationship with Loews? Will a couple new hotels be premier? Will unlimited express apply to the New park(s)? A lot to chew on I know.
It makes sense for Universal to continue their practice of making new hotels that are 50-50 joint ventures managed by Loews. Universal doesn't want to have debt-heavy hotels on its books and would rather just keep their 50% of the profits from the venture with none of the assets/debts on its books.

I just wanted to add that I heard the south campus was green lit and prioritised (low level fast track) in August. And then legit fast tracked after the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act passed in December.
You a Trump fan yet? :tease:
(Just a joke for Dave- no one get their feathers ruffled)

I’m pretty sure @Disneyhead just listed the 10/1 date as that’s the date MK and Epcot opened and it would be a bit of trolling on UORs part.

I doubt they would give up the summer crowds/revenue for a fall open in the days we live in now where Wall Street makes the decisions.
I’d think 10/1 is a reasonable opening date. We’re not talking about a new ride that needs summer numbers to be “successful”. Shanghai Disney, for example, was originally supposed to be late 2015 but got delayed.

This is a new park. It could open any month of the year and be just fine. What I like about 10/1 is it would make since to go dry park on 10/1 and next water park on 5/1. Good stagger and almost opening them simultaneously while getting the tax benefit.

If 10/1 is truly the date- I’d think park, parking, backstage, 3 hotels
Then by the next year around summer would be water park, 4th hotel, and whatever project they didn’t finish for 10-1 for the new park (like UniCorn/Stormforce for IoA or Kali River for DAK).

Neither is going to happen.
Building one theme park, 3 hotels, citywalk, parking, and backstage areas will be a larger undertaking than all other Universal Orlando projects of the Comcast era(2012-2020) combined. Thinking that this will open in the next five years with 3 parks and 8 hotels is honestly ridiculous.

I agree for the most part. But I won't discount that they could open two parks at the same time. The HE effect is too big to just ignore. They build one park, people staying that the south resort are somewhat more likely to do 1 park passes. You build two, that have interconnecting rides like HE(maybe a Warp pipe ride), and you make the park hopper $55 upcharge almost a guarantee. The logistics of getting it all done is a real thing. But the eventual expiration of the tax cuts is too. It's not a slam dunk either way.

Reactions: Galaxy Defender
I agree for the most part. But I won't discount that they could open two parks at the same time. The HE effect is too big to just ignore. They build one park, people staying that the south resort are somewhat more likely to do 1 park passes. You build two, that have interconnecting rides like HE(maybe a Warp pipe ride), and you make the park hopper $55 upcharge almost a guarantee. The logistics of getting it all done is a real thing. But the eventual expiration of the tax cuts is too. It's not a slam dunk either way.

So they would open two theme parks, but not the water park? Not going to happen.

I’d think 10/1 is a reasonable opening date. We’re not talking about a new ride that needs summer numbers to be “successful”. Shanghai Disney, for example, was originally supposed to be late 2015 but got delayed.

This is a new park. It could open any month of the year and be just fine. What I like about 10/1 is it would make since to go dry park on 10/1 and next water park on 5/1. Good stagger and almost opening them simultaneously while getting the tax benefit.

If 10/1 is truly the date- I’d think park, parking, backstage, 3 hotels
Then by the next year around summer would be water park, 4th hotel, and whatever project they didn’t finish for 10-1 for the new park (like UniCorn/Stormforce for IoA or Kali River for DAK).

I totally agree with this. It would also help in case a Volcano Bay-like issue happens, where some rides don't work on opening day. Delay the rides, get them working before next summer, problem solved. And it helps the water park out in the long run, because they don't have to rush it (again...........).

Reactions: Andysol
Disney specifically chose the 10/1 dates because they were the traditional slowest time. It was a means to create a somewhat soft opening. The Disneyland opening was considered to be a huge disaster. The logic still applies although not to the same extent as in the past.

10/1 was MKs opening celebration but it was in softs prior to the grand opening.

I wonder if they could open hotels first. They seem to be going on an overlapping schedule currently and they’re about to run out of land. The hotels could serve the existing resort. Also opening a park, shopping district and a bunch of hotels all at the same time puts a big strain on hiring, if the hotels are open and already staffed it could smooth that out.

The layout & design of this going to be interesting . All of the international parks, Japan, Singapore, and reportedly Beijing have been basically similar to the layout of Universal Studio Orlando, and borrowing a couple of attractions from IOA...I'm hoping this new park will be closer to the layout/design of IOA or Disney Sea. IOA has much more ambiance and beauty than the Studio park. ....and..concerning an opening date....Business is so spread out over the year now that summer's are not as essential to the Orlando parks as it once was. A good argument can be made for most any month of the year that doesn't spell September.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andysol
I expect Margaritaville to move down to their new resort when that opens. And I think Bubba Gump's will leave when their lease is up.
The real question is when will CityWalk finally get a Nintendo store like the one in New York because a store like that wouldn’t fit in one of the lands.

The real question is when will CityWalk finally get a Nintendo store like the one in New York because a store like that wouldn’t fit in one of the lands.

Universal might not decide to make a Nintendo store. After all, there's going to be plenty of stores and merchandise inside the lands themselves :shrug:

Universal might not decide to make a Nintendo store. After all, there's going to be plenty of stores and merchandise inside the lands themselves :shrug:
Unless there’s going to be games and consoles for sale inside the parks along with demo stations (which I doubt) a store in CityWalk makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.