Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Attendance Tracker

To note:

• Lower results at Walt Disney World Resort were driven by higher costs and fewer occupied room nights, partially offset by growth in guest spending and attendance, although both were negatively impacted by Hurricane Irma. Higher costs were primarily due to increases in labor and employee benefits, depreciation and marketing. Guest spending growth was due to increased food and beverage spending and higher average daily hotel room rates. Available hotel room nights were lower due to refurbishments and conversions to vacation club units.

So... Even with DHS seriously lagging, Epcot and AK's gains this year made up for it, and Epcot's Food/Wine helped out along with more expensive room.

Disney's quarterly report (July, August, Sept. 2017) was just released. Highlights fom the Parks & Resorts segment of the report...."Operating income growth for the quarter was due to an increase at our international operations, partially offset by a decrease at our domestic operations. Results of our international operations were due to growth at Disneyland Paris and Shanghai Disney Resort...Guest spending growth was primarily due to higher average ticket prices and food and beverage spending...The decrease in operating income at our domestic operations was driven by lower results at Walt Disney World, partially offset by an increase at our cruise line, growth at Disneyland Resort, and higher sales of vacation club units."

Looks like the DLP 25th celebrations are paying off, the parks were much busier for the time of year than usual when I was there last month.

It's interesting that Epcot has been able to use events alone to drive up attendance.

I wonder how much of that is attributed to Orlando's boom. Also, I hope Disney doesn't use that growth to justify lessening Epcot's eventual overhaul.

It's interesting that Epcot has been able to use events alone to drive up attendance.

I wonder how much of that is attributed to Orlando's boom. Also, I hope Disney doesn't use that growth to justify lessening Epcot's eventual overhaul.

I wouldn’t say “alone.” Soarin revamp uses the added capacity. Frozen is popular as ever, and M:S is holding a decent wait time with its revamp as well.

The mentality finally seems to be moving away from Eisner’s lie that Epcot can’t grow and was a “mature asset.”

Orlando boom is going to help spike attendance everywhere. Epcot has far and away the most options for locals on the cheap to enter and spend money.

Looks like they just lifted blackout dates at WDW thru 6/29. I didn't know attendance was struggling this Summer already but on-site hotel pricing for August is better than the Fall even.

Looks like they just lifted blackout dates at WDW thru 6/29. I didn't know attendance was struggling this Summer already but on-site hotel pricing for August is better than the Fall even.
Ive said this before, but I less get the sense that Orlando attendance is “struggling” and more the sense that outside of holiday weeks attendance is far more spread out than its ever been. I feel like there’s a higher baseline of crowds year-round in Orlando now rather than the crowds being concentrated in the summer

Ive said this before, but I less get the sense that Orlando attendance is “struggling” and more the sense that outside of holiday weeks attendance is far more spread out than its ever been. I feel like there’s a higher baseline of crowds year-round in Orlando now rather than the crowds being concentrated in the summer

100%. But I don't think I've personally seen them lift blackout dates during this timeframe since I can remember so either actual attendance or projected must be really soft thru the month of June.

100%. But I don't think I've personally seen them lift blackout dates during this timeframe since I can remember so either actual attendance or projected must be really soft thru the month of June.

Could be! But I feel like both Dis and Uni have been lifting blackout dates a lot during the summer months the past few years, whether for CM/TMs or APs.

1. I have been telling people never go to central Florida in the summer and people are finally listening. (probably not, even when I worked at WDW in 2007 the end of May through mid June were relatively less crowded than the last week of June through mid August)

2. I wonder if higher gas prices will effect the summer crowds this year. I also read an article today saying expect plane tickets to start to go up due to the increase in fuel prices.

And a lot of FL schools have already been out for a week when they used to not be let out until this weekend or next, so maybe that's why they made the move now after not seeing an expected influx this week.

NBCU's earnings bear that out as well; the past 3-4 years especially Universal Parks has had its highest growth rates in the 1st and 2nd quarters of the year. 3rd and 4th quarters are still quite a bit larger but growing more slowly.

Blackout dates kick back in right around when Toy Story Land opens. Maybe some visitors are waiting for that.

The part about hotel rates in August being better than in the fall is interesting. I wonder at what point all the new Universal hotels starts to put a dent in Disney's occupancy rates? Of course, all Disney has to do is offer hotel deals to fix that short term.

I would think at some point the inability to get fast passes for key attractions and storied of very long waits for those attractions will start to drive down Disney attendance. How many families are willing to wait 3 hours for a five-minute ride?

But, no matter all the Disney negatives, and they are many, I would guess WDW attendance will be solid for the next few years since they've finally started to build the new lands and attractions they should have been building before. That, and the big anniversary coming up, should drive attendance. Heck, I'm even excited about the new stuff, and will probably soon lift my moratorium of staying on WDW property.

But, no matter all the Disney negatives, and they are many, I would guess WDW attendance will be solid for the next few years since they've finally started to build the new lands and attractions they should have been building before. That, and the big anniversary coming up, should drive attendance. Heck, I'm even excited about the new stuff, and will probably soon lift my moratorium of staying on WDW property.

When did you last stay at Disney?

I’m staying at Pop Century in September for a week (My first time staying at Disney) and already I’m struggling to get reservations for Be Our Guest and Brunch at the Top. A spot opened today for Be Our Guest and within 5mins it was gone. It's becoming almost essential to stay at Disney to guarantee a FP and reservation at your first, second or even third choice. When I'm 60 days out, I'll be straight on to get my FP.

I'm at some what of a crossroads of where to go from here in the next few years as Disney's own success is making it a nightmare to plan a good trip plus most of the resort is a construction zone but they're ready to deliver on so many great new rides that you can't not go.

On the flip side, I'm pretty set on staying at Hard Rock this year and the Express Pass makes things a million times easier compared to Disney but Universal need to take a drastic step with their app and website as it feels 5 years behind where Disney is currently at and as Universal expands, it really needs to step up it's game.