Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Console Gaming (General)

Nov 7, 2016
Riding Lightning Rod
Feel free to discuss the next generation of console gaming here.

This includes the rumors relating to the Xbox Scarlet/Two, PlayStation 5, updates to the Nintendo Switch, and any games that may be on those consoles.

However, please keep any discussion about Nintendo Switch games in its designated thread. Those will have no impact on the future of the console.

My guess is the new consoles from Sony and MS are coming next fall. When developers are already actively making games for the new systems and openly discussing them, I really don't see the current hardware lasting much longer. Plus, stuff like The Last of Us 2 and Death Stranding can be ported over for better graphics.

My guess is the new consoles from Sony and MS are coming next fall. When developers are already actively making games for the new systems and openly discussing them, I really don't see the current hardware lasting much longer. Plus, stuff like The Last of Us 2 and Death Stranding can be ported over for better graphics.
Nah, 2020 at the earliest. The PS4 is still a monster and Sony wouldn’t want to cut it off too soon.

I’m predicting late 2020 for Microsoft and early 2021 for Sony. Nintendo is a wildcard here.

Microsoft seems to be hinting at TWO consoles. When they announced the new Xbox, they said consoles. Plural.

If you asked me, I’d say that Xbox will try to one-up the Nintendo Switch and build a handheld console, as well as a living-room console. Why they didn’t do that in the first place is a mystery to me. You’re a company that builds computers, laptops, and phones, but you didn’t think of a handheld? Seriously?

Also, Microsoft said that all five of its newly acquired studio’s are developing new exclusives. I bet all of them are being prepared for next-gen, along with the normal Forza, Halo, and Gears. Rare is probably working on something. We might even see a Quantum Break or Alan Wake sequel, considering the fact that Remedy is currently making two games, and in pre-production of a third.

Add that to Cyberpunk 2077, Starfield, Elder Scrolls 6, GTA 6, Beyond Good & Evil 2, possibly Far Cry 6, and the yearly releases of COD, Battlefield, Madden, and Assassins Creed. You got yourself a heck of a start on the new console, especially if it’s handheld.

Last edited:
I’m predicting late 2020 for Microsoft and early 2021 for Sony. Nintendo is a wildcard here.

Microsoft seems to be hinting at TWO consoles. When they announced the new Xbox, they said consoles. Plural.

If you asked me, I’d say that Xbox will try to one-up the Nintendo Switch and build a handheld console, as well as a living-room console. Why they didn’t do that in the first place is a mystery to me. You’re a company that builds computers, laptops, and phones, but you didn’t think of a handheld? Seriously?

Also, Microsoft said that all five of its newly acquired studio’s are developing new exclusives. I bet all of them are being prepared for next-gen, along with the normal Forza, Halo, and Gears. Rare is probably working on something. We might even see a Quantum Break or Alan Wake sequel, considering the fact that Remedy is currently making two games, and in pre-production of a third.

Add that to Cyberpunk 2077, Starfield, Elder Scrolls 6, GTA 6, Beyond Good & Evil 2, possibly Far Cry 6, and the yearly releases of COD, Battlefield, Madden, and Assassins Creed. You got yourself a heck of a start on the new console, especially if it’s handheld.
Nintendo isn’t a wildcard. The Switch is already out. Their next system won’t come out for years upon years. They said so themselves.

I think Microsoft might be a little cautious to release a handheld because of the performance of the PS Vita. The PSP did really well at the time but with iPad and iPhone gaming quite high now and the switch being such a good console, I don't see families shelling out £/$300 on a handheld console when an actual console costs roughly the same. The price point is the big thing, for me. If it is good enough people will spend the money - this is true. However, the switch has the benefit because it is handheld and living room and Microsoft would need to develop something that beats that and doesn't directly compete with their newest living room console iteration. Tough market.

As for next-gen I would think we are talking 2020 Microsoft and 2021 Sony like you said. Sony will wait on Microsoft releasing before they dive in to releasing. I'm relatively sure Sony will keep more attractive exclusives (in my book). With Days Gone, Last of Us, potential for future Uncharted titles, God of War making a comeback and they will no doubt walk in to a new console with some new big hitting titles lined up too. With Microsoft having purchased five studios though I would expect they are doing this to prepare for the future and challenge Sony more directly this time out.

I better get saving.

They need to up there game on the next gen VR. PSVR is amazing visually and super immersive but the game play itself is setting us back years

Sony's conference last night showed that developers have just now gotten to the point where they can harness the power of current consoles. The fact that we move on the minute that happens is disheartening. There's no reason to move on when more can be gotten from what we have

PlayStation, yes. But Xbox needs to move on. They’re way behind the PS4 in sales, they don’t have VR, no one wants to buy a console because there’s no exclusives.

IMO, here are the Xbox Scarlet launch titles:

- Halo: Infinite (possibly a duel release, both on One and Scarlet)
- Forza Horizon 5
- Upcoming exclusive from Playground
- Upcoming exclusive from Ninja Theory
- Upcoming exclusive from Initiative
- Upcoming exclusive from Compulsion
- Upcoming exclusive from Undead Labs
- Upcoming exclusive from Rare
- Minecraft: Xbox Scarlet edition
- Gears Tactics (re-release)
- Gears 5 (re-release)
- Third-party exclusive (Remedy?)
- Starfield (Bethesda)
- Cyberpunk 2077 (CDProjektRed, re-release)
- GTA VI
- Call of Duty
- Battlefield VI (?)
- Cuphead (2 or re-release)

That’s assuming the console launches in 2020. And don’t forget, Microsoft is making at least two consoles. Hopefully one of them is a handheld, because I would kill to be able to play Gears and Forza on the go.

I think we should not be expecting Cuphead to get a sequel.

That game, was a David vs. Goliath in it's development cycle, and while I see MDHR doing something similar, I doubt they'll do Cuphead 2.

As for Halo: Infinite, I remember seeing a rumor from Kotaku I believe that they may be looking to launch the SP and MP of the game at a different time.

If I was to guess, we would see though backwards compatibility with Xbox One, Xbox 360, and Xbox come full in there, thus rendering the idea of re-releases to moot. What I imagine, is them taking a leaf from how well Nintendo handled it's first year, having an exclusive for each month. They don't need to stagger their console exclusives all at once, and that if anything, that would actually maybe even hurt them.

I think we should not be expecting Cuphead to get a sequel.

That game, was a David vs. Goliath in it's development cycle, and while I see MDHR doing something similar, I doubt they'll do Cuphead 2.

As for Halo: Infinite, I remember seeing a rumor from Kotaku I believe that they may be looking to launch the SP and MP of the game at a different time.

If I was to guess, we would see though backwards compatibility with Xbox One, Xbox 360, and Xbox come full in there, thus rendering the idea of re-releases to moot. What I imagine, is them taking a leaf from how well Nintendo handled it's first year, having an exclusive for each month. They don't need to stagger their console exclusives all at once, and that if anything, that would actually maybe even hurt them.

Having all of the exclusives come out after launch could be a major problem as well. But let’s say you’re right. Here’s the games that I would pick to start out with:

- Halo: Infinite
- Forza Horizon 5
- Unnamed exclusive from Playground
- Unnamed exclusive from Ninja Theory
- Unnamed exclusive from Initiative

Then you could stagger the rest of the releases.

As for the Halo: Infinite rumors, absolutely not. That would be incredibly stupid on the part of Microsoft.

PlayStation, yes. But Xbox needs to move on. They’re way behind the PS4 in sales, they don’t have VR, no one wants to buy a console because there’s no exclusives.

IMO, here are the Xbox Scarlet launch titles:

- Halo: Infinite (possibly a duel release, both on One and Scarlet)
- Forza Horizon 5
- Upcoming exclusive from Playground
- Upcoming exclusive from Ninja Theory
- Upcoming exclusive from Initiative
- Upcoming exclusive from Compulsion
- Upcoming exclusive from Undead Labs
- Upcoming exclusive from Rare
- Minecraft: Xbox Scarlet edition
- Gears Tactics (re-release)
- Gears 5 (re-release)
- Third-party exclusive (Remedy?)
- Starfield (Bethesda)
- Cyberpunk 2077 (CDProjektRed, re-release)
- GTA VI
- Call of Duty
- Battlefield VI (?)
- Cuphead (2 or re-release)

That’s assuming the console launches in 2020. And don’t forget, Microsoft is making at least two consoles. Hopefully one of them is a handheld, because I would kill to be able to play Gears and Forza on the go.

That would be FAR AND AWAY the biggest/best launch lineup ever.

AKA don't hold your breath on it looking anything like this. Also 0% chance Microsoft is working on a handheld

AKA don't hold your breath on it looking anything like this. Also 0% chance Microsoft is working on a handheld

Yeah, I don't see the console going to the handheld aspect, especially when they are working right now on a streaming service for XBOX, ontop of the next hardware device for Microsoft's XBOX Division.

You sure about the handheld part? Microsoft is making at least two consoles, and they’d be stupid to not look at the Switch.

You’re a company that makes computers, laptops, and phones, but you let both Sony and Nintendo make a handheld console before you? C’mon man!