Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 228 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Comcast makes way more in a year in profit than Disney does...they can afford it if they so wish.
Comcast makes more, but their theme park division is dwarfed by Disney’s. Also in Orlando they are 1/4 the attendance and 1/6 the on-site hotels. Simply-put, disney will always outspend UOR until UOR has the attendance to justify it. Comcast isn’t going to spend more than they believe they’ll get back just to piss on Disney. While the theme park people and UC might want that, they don’t control the purse strings.

I mean, they're literally about to start building an "unthemed" steel coaster.

Right, Skip?

Considering the amount of money that they are already putting into Beijing, being higher than Disneys, I wouldn't rule out Universal having the money needed for something at an immersive level to the likings of Tokyo DisneySea or a Park-wide Diagon in the level of detail and care.
Yeah, Universal can afford to build a fully immersive park and should. Don’t go cheap on a giant steel unthemed coaster just because.

You guys are Universal fans, right? What made you one? Because what you’re wanting- something on the scale of disney sea, the greatest and most immersive theme park in the world, is not what Universal is or has ever been. They’ll make an immersive area, but they’ll always be In your face Universal. Look at Volcano bay for heavens sake- yellow red green blue slides all over the Fin place.

And you’re expecting Disney Sea level of immersion?

I’m all for immersion, but I’m also not going to set myself up for disappointment.

Universal will always be universal and do universal things.

You guys are Universal fans, right? What made you one? Because what you’re wanting- something on the scale of disney sea, the greatest and most immersive theme park in the world, is not what Universal is or has ever been. They’ll make an immersive area, but they’ll always be In your face Universal. Look at Volcano bay for heavens sake- yellow red green blue slides all over the Fin place.

And you’re expecting Disney Sea? I can expect Djsney to provide that type of attraction and level of immersion- but not Universal. Completely different mindsets and companies. Yin and Yang.

I’m all for immersion, but I’m also not going to set myself up for disappointment.

I am someone who is wanting Universal to not cut back. And yes, I know that's unrealistic, but with how impressive Diagon turned out to be, I have my standards to that level, because I know Universal can do something that can envelop and immerse guests into environments.

Perhaps I should've said it better, but I am a fan of both Disney AND Universal. And to be frank, I want Universal to do the very best that they can, and that I have faith in that Comcast will give UPR a more free lease on what they can do.

Last edited:
I just want this park to be a mix of Tokyo Disneysea’s immersion, IOA’s rides, and Volcano Bay’s interactivity, and that’s what this park will be. IOA will have two (relatively) unthemed steel coasters come 2020, and this new park will have one. It’s simple.

To me, a coaster in the sightline doesn’t ruin immersion. If anything, it gets me excited. I always look for Sheikra when I pass BGT, Hulk gives me that “Oh my god, I’m finally here” feeling, Kings Island’s coasters excite the hell out of me, and a lot of other people feel the same. Coasters create synergy and get people excited.

We might hate exposed steel here, but the public isn’t going to complain if they see a hyper. They’ll say “Dang, that looks awesome” and go in ride. There’ll be immersion everywhere else. You can’t see hulk from Hogsmeade (in most places), you can’t see Rockit from Diagon, and I expect the same here.

It’s not like we’ll have a Flying Dinosaur situation. We’ll be fine.

Comcast makes more, but their theme park division is dwarfed by Disney’s. Also in Orlando they are 1/4 the attendance and 1/6 the on-site hotels. Simply-put, disney will always outspend UOR until UOR has the attendance to justify it. Comcast isn’t going to spend more than they believe they’ll get back just to piss on Disney. While the theme park people and UC might want that, they don’t control the purse strings.

Right, Skip?

Explain to me how colored slides ruin the immersion.

Right, Skip?

But with the new park, hotels, enter. dist., and the present park's expansions, Universal Comcast will be spending more than Disney in the next five plus years.

Personally, Spiderman made me a Universal fan, and Harry Potter cemented it

Both of which were things that Disney was not doing at the time

I don't want Universal to carbon copy DisneySea, because that wouldn't feel like something from them, rather, an imitation

I think Universal is past that (I hope)

Right, Skip?

I would like to once again point out universal parks and resorts is something Comcast values as a money maker. They have invested more in the 8(technically 6 years of full ownership) years than previous owners have in combined history. Your right disney is still sitting on Olympus but if you think universal can’t compete your thoroughly naive. Disney has been making a lot of its massive overhauls as a result of Comcast investments in the parks and expansion. Tokyo Disney Sea is the crown jewel for overall theming of a Park but when universal created Hogsmeade and then took it a step further with diagon alley they changed the game. Disney had to rethink total immersive lands. Star Wars GE is a result of wizarding world. Universal has not built a theme park from scratch with Comcast’s deep pockets backing. Will we get the new crown jewel of theme parks yet to be seen but saying there is no way Comcast will spend the money is ridiculous. They have been planning, scheming, and spending to build toward this project. Beijing is a massive project. You can say some of their new rides haven’t been up to par, and that’s you opinion(I think Fallon is rather fun and saw nothing but smiling from young and old alike), but there ques have upped the ante for ride line immersion.

It’s not that we are universal fans, I myself am but still enjoy disney and still have 2 week+ trip to Disney world scheduled in 2020 w/ stay at th Boardwalk villas, it’s disney got away with being lazy for so long and people still patted them on the back. Then universal started making its moves which finally startled Disney to wake up cause competition has come and they are here to stay. It’s a competition and competition is what brings out the best. Just think Potter brought on Star Wars GE which now brings Nintendo. WDW has massive overhaul plans and 50th-Universal answers with new south resort .

Personally, Spiderman made me a Universal fan, and Harry Potter cemented it

Both of which were things that Disney was not doing at the time

I don't want Universal to carbon copy DisneySea, because that wouldn't feel like something from them, rather, an imitation

I think Universal is past that (I hope)
The new park is probably hub & spoke design according to a couple of insiders, but they're shooting for an immersion level similar in scope to Disney Sea. So it won't be trying to copy Disney Sea, just be as good or better than Disney Sea.

The new park is probably hub & spoke design according to a couple of insiders, but they're shooting for an immersion level similar in scope to Disney Sea. So it won't be trying to copy Disney Sea, just be as good or better than Disney Sea.
If it has a Mario Kart ride and Super Nintendo World, it is automatically better than DisneySea

Reactions: Magic-Man
:lmao:

I love Nintendo games, but come on. That’s a bit of an exaggeration.

As someone who has seen and heard a few things, I'd say that's accurate.

MK, has the potential to become something that is in essence, the next Spider-Man in a fascinating way.

Glad to see we finally have that spoken for.

Explain to me how colored slides ruin the immersion.

Are you kidding? Take Typhoon Lagoon- make the slides neon orange and not have rock work around them- and tell me it's just as immersive.

Keep in mind- as someone who has gone to TL, BB and VB- VB is hands down far and away my favorite water park. But Universal put giant exposed and colorful slides to draw your attention to the slides- in particular from the highway. One could argue a 200' volcano should do that, but again, that's universal. They're in your face, exposed colorful coasters, exposed colorful slides. Likewise, they have absolute masterpieces.

But if you think bright yellow slights make VB more immersive, I don't know what to tell you Dave.

Will we get the new crown jewel of theme parks yet to be seen but saying there is no way Comcast will spend the money is ridiculous.

I never said that. I said "Comcast isn’t going to spend more than they believe they’ll get back". Which I think is pretty obvious. I also said Disney will always outspend UOR until UOR has the attendance to justify it.

Again- I'll beat this drum again- UOR has 1/6 the rooms Disney World does. UOR has 1/4 the attendance Disney World does. Those are the facts. Not my ambition, not my aspiration- what it is, today. If Universal believes that they can get closer to Disney's level- by quadrupling their attendance with their next park and sextupling their hotels rooms, then they'll spend more to do it. If they feel like the numbers will be less than that, they won't spend as much. They have projections, internal numbers, goals, etc. And most importantly, they have budgets.

I want Universal to be on "that level"- but that's a level they aren't going to hit or eclipse, I'm sorry.

Are you kidding? Take Typhoon Lagoon- make the slides neon orange and not have rock work around them- and tell me it's just as immersive.

Keep in mind- as someone who has gone to TL, BB and VB- VB is hands down far and away my favorite water park. But Universal put giant exposed and colorful slides to draw your attention to the slides- in particular from the highway. One could argue a 200' volcano should do that, but again, that's universal. They're in your face, exposed colorful coasters, exposed colorful slides. Likewise, they have absolute masterpieces.

But if you think bright yellow slights make VB more immersive, I don't know what to tell you Dave.

I never said that. I said "Comcast isn’t going to spend more than they believe they’ll get back". Which I think is pretty obvious. I also said Disney will always outspend UOR until UOR has the attendance to justify it.

Again- I'll beat this drum again- UOR has 1/6 the rooms Disney World does. UOR has 1/4 the attendance Disney World does. Those are the facts. Not my ambition, not my aspiration- what it is, today. If Universal believes that they can get closer to Disney's level- by quadrupling their attendance with their next park and sextupling their hotels rooms, then they'll spend more to do it. If they feel like the numbers will be less than that, they won't spend as much. They have projections, internal numbers, goals, etc. And most importantly, they have budgets.

I want Universal to be on "that level"- but that's a level they aren't going to hit or eclipse, I'm sorry.

LEGEN.........

Wait for it........

DARY!

LEGENDARY!!!
Get it. Anyways look Universal Orlando has slowly been gaining on Disney because of investments in parks, hotel rooms, volcano Bay etc. Pretty sure the accounting office noticed this and is why they have been acquiring land. So I think it’s a great position to think they will continue their spending ways. Will they catch disney overnight with the south property well probably not. Disney has a 20 year head start and land to spare. Also Comcast has only had full ownership for 6 years, 6 that’s it and look what they’ve done to landlocked parks now they have space. And how do you catch disney by making second rate immersion parks and attractions umm NO. By playing up to and/or surpassing the competition. Beat them at there game and you can’t do that with tightening the budget. I do see them spending the money disney feels threatened and if they are threatened then they know Universal won’t be letting up. Volcano Bay is incredible immersive, the bright colors are part of the theme, tropical island, native tribes, luau parties, etc. are known for color, it’s what they were going for, now the exposed slides may be jarring to some but some may find it welcoming/reminding that we are universal and we like to show off.

Yes, I do. I also think that people's preconcieved notions on how things should be themed, as to opposed to what is actually built, lead people to nonsensical conclusions.

The slides at TL and BB are themed to naturally occurring elements. At TL, they are tan and buried in rock work because they are supposed to look like mud streams. At BB they are a bluish white because they are supposed to look like ice. At Volcano Bay, they are colored because they are supposed to look like...water slides. VB is themed to a modern high tech water park built by the decendants of the ancient Waturi people because of their love of water. Putting mud slides and having a muddy lazy river in a modern high tech water park is nonsensical since they are not supposed to be naturally occurring elements. Apparently, the modern Waturi people are smart phone wielding, street taco eating, craft beer drinking island hipsters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.