Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

MSHI Expansion?

How does everyone feel about the costumes the actors where at MSHI?

I think they could use some upgrading. I don't wanna say they look terrible, but they really don't look great either. I'm not saying the costumes should resemble their MCU counterparts, not at all. I much prefer the mostly timeless look of the comics, which is much more universal. But I think its kinda sad how there are cosplayers out there putting together much better looking costumes than the ones Universal uses in the park.
Outside of Wolverine, I disagree. His costume is pretty bad, but I think the rest are good

How does everyone feel about the costumes the actors where at MSHI?

I think they could use some upgrading. I don't wanna say they look terrible, but they really don't look great either. I'm not saying the costumes should resemble their MCU counterparts, not at all. I much prefer the mostly timeless look of the comics, which is much more universal. But I think its kinda sad how there are cosplayers out there putting together much better looking costumes than the ones Universal uses in the park.

The costumes could use a good update but I think a character refresh is a better option. Deadpool, Black Panther, Iron Man would pull some huge crowds.

I seem to remember the costumes being updated a few years ago. Personally, I think they’re perfect considering we’re supposed to be in an environment lifted from comic books. We have to be careful not to expect costumes similar to what exists in the MCU. Those are typically more functional as the filmmakers attempt to make them look practical in the real world (though there are some exceptions and outright fails). The MSHI costumes are lifted from a fantasy world, just like the environment around them. While there may be some opportunities for improvement, I don’t think an overhaul is needed.

Like I said, I'm not expecting Universal to replicate the look of the MCU with their costumes. The costumes at MSHI mirror the ones seen in the comics, as they should. The issue is the quality of the suits themselves don't look good. Rogue's gloves shouldn't look like shes ready to wash dishes. And to be fair Rogue's suit in the comics hasn't looked like that since the 90s. Cap's pants don't match his top, and Spidey looks okay-ish but could be a lot better. Wolverine is the worst though. The Marvel costumes at Uni don't look much better than Halloween costumes. There is cosplay that is much better looking.

The costumes could use a good update but I think a character refresh is a better option. Deadpool, Black Panther, Iron Man would pull some huge crowds.
Hell yes! I definitely agree on the character refresh. Deadpool is a great place to start too. They even sell Uni branded Deadpool merch in the parks, so I'm a little surprised hes not an actual character in the park. A Deadpool Meet & Greet would be a hit for sure! Could be Uni isn't allowed to feature characters that aren't related to any of the attractions?

I agree the costumes look terrible. They can look like the comics, that’s preferable. The problem is they look like they were bought at a high school theater group.

See. This guy gets what I'm talking about.

Hell yes! I definitely agree on the character refresh. Deadpool is a great place to start too. They even sell Uni branded Deadpool merch in the parks, so I'm a little surprised hes not an actual character in the park. A Deadpool Meet & Greet would be a hit for sure! Could be Uni isn't allowed to feature characters that aren't related to any of the attractions?

See. This guy gets what I'm talking about.

I think there's a lot of small deals being made between Universal and Disney just now and Deadpool should be a gimme for Universal as he's highly unlikely to show up at Disney World.

I agree the costumes look terrible. They can look like the comics, that’s preferable. The problem is they look like they were bought at a high school theater group.

The costume designs are approved by Marvel for use in the parks. There isn't a lot of leeway given to Universal in the design. They are in fact the quality and look specified by Marvel during the last refresh about 8 years ago. Universal isn't allowed to change anything about the current look.

Really feels like I'm watching the 90's cartoon with these X-Men costumes, lol. I love Spidey though, he's timeless.

View attachment 6690
Exactly. Besides, the costumes from the X-Men movies can be pretty boring. Imagine seeing the characters walking around all wearing basically the same costume.
nn6poipuxt3bia5akp3m.png

Exactly. Besides, the costumes from the X-Men movies can be pretty boring. Imagine seeing the characters walking around all wearing basically the same costume.
nn6poipuxt3bia5akp3m.png
I've said before that I don't want Universal to replicate the look of the movies, be it Fox or the MCU. Keep the comic suits, but update them to their present look in the comics, while amping up the quality at the same time.

But to be fair its not like Universal hasn't used the movies as reference in the past. The Spidey and Doc Ock designs in the HD upgrade are very much Raimi inspired.

I mean, eventually people will get bored of them and the studios won't make money off of their HUGE budgets.
Huh?

"Superhero movies" is not a genre. That's why the MCU has had such success. The movies they've made have been everything from Sci-Fi/War (Iron Man, Thor, Cap), Action/Comedy/Fantasy (Guardians of the Galaxy), Heist-Comedy (Ant-Man), Coming-of-age (Spider-Man: Homecoming), Team-ups (Avengers, Ultron, Civil War, Infinity War), Spy-Thriller/Cultural film (Black Panther), Mind-trip/Action (Doctor Strange, Ragnorok).

As long as the MCU keeps the genres different from film to film, while still feeling like it belongs, people aren't going to get bored of these movies anytime soon.

Last edited:
Huh?

"Superhero movies" is not a genre. That's why the MCU has had such success. The movies they've made have been everything from Sci-Fi/War (Iron Man, Thor, Cap), Action/Comedy/Fantasy (Guardians of the Galaxy), Heist-Comedy (Ant-Man), Coming-of-age (Spider-Man: Homecoming), Team-ups (Avengers, Ultron, Civil War, Infinity War), Spy-Thriller/Cultural film (Black Panther), Mind-trip/Action (Doctor Strange, Ragnorok).

As long as the MCU keeps the genres different from film to film, while still feeling like it belongs, people aren't going to get bored of these movies anytime soon.
You're giving too much credit to the GPs knowledge of MCU films.

If people are like "I'm getting bored of superhero action movies" and they see a poster for "Marvel's Squirrel Girl," that will be a Deadpool-esque parody on superhero films, they won't say "oh well I want to see that because it'll be different than every Avengers movie," They'll say "I don't want to see a superhero movie."

You're giving too much credit to the GPs knowledge of MCU films.

If people are like "I'm getting bored of superhero action movies" and they see a poster for "Marvel's Squirrel Girl," that will be a Deadpool-esque parody on superhero films, they won't say "oh well I want to see that because it'll be different than every Avengers movie," They'll say "I don't want to see a superhero movie."
OK. If that’s what you think cool. There’s no proof that these type of movies will stop having success anytime soon though. Im sure Marvel will stop being so successful, but that will likely be more due to the movies that get made and if they work or not.

And I’m not giving too much credit to the GPs knowledge of MCU films. I think most who see the film probably haven’t seen close to all MCU movies. But they go to certain movies because it fits the genre they tend to like... which was the very point I was making.

OK. If that’s what you think cool. There’s no proof that these type of movies will stop having success anytime soon though. Im sure Marvel will stop being so successful, but that will likely be more due to the movies that get made and if they work or not.

And I’m not giving too much credit to the GPs knowledge of MCU films. I think most who see the film probably haven’t seen close to all MCU movies. But they go to certain movies because it fits the genre they tend to like... which was the very point I was making.

Word of mouth helps too. There are a ton of people who don't want to see a superhero movie, but saw Deadpool because they heard it was a great comedy, Wonder Woman was a great historical action film with a strong female lead, Black Panther was an empowering film about a man coming of age. They made incredible amounts of money.

Compare that to Doctor Strange or Ant-Man, which were largely superhero origin films that did alright by MCU standards, but still made tons of money.

Are kids going to stop being born any time soon? If not, then superhero movies aren’t really going anywhere. On top of comic book readers aren’t going away either so the movies will remain popular.

Are kids going to stop being born any time soon? If not, then superhero movies aren’t really going anywhere. On top of comic book readers aren’t going away either so the movies will remain popular.
If only comic book readers and children saw these films, they wouldn't have such huge budgets as they do. The GP LOVES these films right now, that's why they're so popular. I know very little people who didn't see BP or IW.

Just rode Spider-Man, 2-3 times per day after staying at Universal for a whole week. Spider-Man is still my favorite ride in the park hands down. Its so well done and has so much heart and soul. Hard to believe the ride is 20yrs old.

But with that said I can't help but notice that the ride does need a little TLC. The Scoop cars look a little run down, all of them have their headlight covers turning yellow, one of them even had black covers over top of the headlights. I was also in a car where the front speakers didn't work, with a door that rattled really bad. The poor condition of the Scoops really show the rides age, and could really use some replacing. And considering Transformers pretty much use the same car for Evac, replacing them shouldn't be a difficult task as clearly the molds still exist. Replace the Scoops with a modified Evac car that replaces the faux tires with faux tank treads. Using Evac also gets rid of the satellite on the back of the Scoop, giving it a much needed modern look.

To be honest, all of MSHI could use some refurbishment. Some of the buildings not only have washed out colors, but some also have some fixtures that are rotting out.

The subwoofer on Storm Force is blown, and some of the lights that are supposed to interact with the music don't work any more. I understand Storm Force doesn't see much traffic these days, but c'mon it looks bad.

I'm a little surprised at this, as the area needing this much TLC would seem like a good enough reason for Disney to pull the contract from Uni. It also makes me sad to see that Uni doesn't seem to be pumping any money into MSHI, aside from the The Hulk. I just feel that people pay a lot of money to be in the parks, and stuff should really be kept up on.

Last edited: