Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 358 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, the little I know from reading here is that of Jim Hill says something it’s usually not true. Topping it off as a random guy saying something to him doubles down on the not happening side.

Reactions: SeventyOne
The new park with probably be 30-40% Nintendo, depending on what goes there (SNW is obvious, Pokémon likely, Splatoon possible, Zelda unlikely). We will not see more than that, especially not in its own park.

Jim Hill and Len Testa said they were at a bar or somewhere and someone sat next to them and said “you hear about the Nintendo park Universal is building on the old Lockheed land?” And the rest is history.

I can’t remember which episode of the Disney Dish they talked about it. But was twice if I’m remembering correctly. Plus, Jim’s mentioned it to me before as well.

Not sure how reliable a source a random guy approaching you is, or if I’m misremembering their story, but that seems to be the origin of the rumor as far as I can tell.
Story sounds familiar...... Probably the same guy whispered to someone else in a bar.;)...The true rumor incubator....Now we know what happened to Otis from the Andy Griffith show. He moved to Orlando, and still makes his rounds yelling, "Disney/Universal rumors for a drink". :lol:

Updated Possible Universal Timeline Prediction

: Harry Potter Coaster opens in late April/early May. T2 replacement in late May. Volcano Bay expansion in early June. Construction walls go up around Fear Factor.

Universal purposely leaks South Gate plans and artwork around the time that SW:GE opens, similar to the SNW leaks we got a couple years back.

2020: Jurassic World opens in late May. Construction walls go up around LC.

South Gate announced in full, given a 2022 opening date.

2021: Ministry of Magic opens in June.

More details announced for South Gate, including ride artwork and water-park details.

2022: Nothing new for the current parks, minus maintenance work and ongoing construction in Lost Continent.

South Gate soft-opens in October, opens in November.

2023: South Gate water-park opens in May, Hyrule opens in June.

Reactions: Yabbadabba Doh
I think a KZ replacement is more likely than a LC one

I’ll have to disagree with you on that. Personally, I think Pokémon is going in South Gate now, and the timeline is already pretty much set in stone for everything up until 2021. Zelda is probably going to come sooner than later, to match up with the Nintendo properties in South Gate. And they don’t have enough workers to build the expansions to KZ and LC at the same time.

Jim Hill and Len Testa said they were at a bar or somewhere and someone sat next to them and said “you hear about the Nintendo park Universal is building on the old Lockheed land?” And the rest is history.

I can’t remember which episode of the Disney Dish they talked about it. But was twice if I’m remembering correctly. Plus, Jim’s mentioned it to me before as well.

Not sure how reliable a source a random guy approaching you is, or if I’m misremembering their story, but that seems to be the origin of the rumor as far as I can tell.
To be fair, we have to be careful with how we treat the word “park”. Obviously, to us, it’s simple and straightforward. USF is a park. IOA is a park. I could keep going but it would get boring fast. But does everyone remember how WWoHP was marketed? The media referred to it as a “park” on a consistent basis, and I seem to remember that Universal themselves may have also done so (but don’t quote me on that part). As theme park fans, we know that this isn’t the case. It’s a land. But with that precedent set, don’t be surprised if the forthcoming Nintendo land isn’t widely referred to as a “park”, regardless of how it’s actually implemented.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
I’ll have to disagree with you on that. Personally, I think Pokémon is going in South Gate now, and the timeline is already pretty much set in stone for everything up until 2021. Zelda is probably going to come sooner than later, to match up with the Nintendo properties in South Gate. And they don’t have enough workers to build the expansions to KZ and LC at the same time.

I just don't think they see LC as a problem area. I'll be surprised if it's gone any time soon

F-Zero and Metroid are good for sci-fi.

I'm not a gamer, and even I know Metroid. Would fit perfectly. Robots and laser guns and a kick-butt female for meet & greets.

Ehh. This is why a full Nintendo park makes no sense. General public doesn’t care about F-zero or Metroid. Heck, I don’t care about them and I play video games regularly. Metroid and F-ZERO don’t deserve theme park rides when there are much better Sci-fi properties available.

A ride based on Avatar gets 2 hour waits. A quality Metroid ride could be accessible enough that guests new to the IP would still like it--as I recall, it's pretty generic sci fi. (A lot more traditional space opera than blue cat people and dragons.) That said, all theoretical anyway. I just think all Nintendo could be viable.

I'm not a gamer, and even I know Metroid. Would fit perfectly. Robots and laser guns and a kick-butt female for meet & greets.

A ride based on Avatar gets 2 hour waits. A quality Metroid ride could be accessible enough that guests new to the IP would still like it--as I recall, it's pretty generic sci fi. (A lot more traditional space opera than blue cat people and dragons.) That said, all theoretical anyway. I just think all Nintendo could be viable.
Avatar is still much bigger than Metroid. What’s Metroid area look like? It’s bottom tier Nintendo and even lower in grand scheme IPs. If we’re building a new park, I’m not subbing Metroid in for way better ideas due to being a Nintendo only park. Being Samus as a meet and greet character in SNW.

As much as I want to see Metroid and Star Fox, the only way we could possibly get them is if they were A.) Part of a greater Sci-Fi area, or B.) A retheme of an existing ride. Neither one is likely to happen, imo.

Updated Possible Universal Timeline Prediction

: Harry Potter Coaster opens in late April/early May. T2 replacement in late May. Volcano Bay expansion in early June. Construction walls go up around Fear Factor.

Universal purposely leaks South Gate plans and artwork around the time that SW:GE opens, similar to the SNW leaks we got a couple years back.

2020: Jurassic World opens in late May. Construction walls go up around LC.

South Gate announced in full, given a 2022 opening date.

2021: Ministry of Magic opens in June.

More details announced for South Gate, including ride artwork and water-park details.

2022: Nothing new for the current parks, minus maintenance work and ongoing construction in Lost Continent.

South Gate soft-opens in October, opens in November.

2023: South Gate water-park opens in May, Hyrule opens in June.
I would add Shrek to 2020, now way I see it surviving much longer haha....I also think Suess would get an expansion before LC gets a redux

Purely speculation of course, the new park will at least determine what's not heading to USF/IOA

Reactions: GadgetGuru
I just don't think they see LC as a problem area. I'll be surprised if it's gone any time soon

I think the area could use a lot of love or replacement but with Potter being the most popular area in the park and it seems like Suess is going through a resurgence in popularity recently for whatever reason, putting up walls in a area with such high foot traffic seems like a bad idea.

I mean, I guess they could delay the replacement. But if they do, I doubt that Zelda/HTTYD would still go there. They want to capitalize on those IP's as soon as possible. Possible move to the South Gate?

I mean, I guess they could delay the replacement. But if they do, I doubt that Zelda/HTTYD would still go there. They want to capitalize on those IP's as soon as possible. Possible move to the South Gate?

I'm fully expecting IOA and USF to get a new ride each the year after the new park opens. I can't see Universal jumping into Nintendo with all guns blazing. No matter how confident they are that it's going to be a huge success, they're still going to test the waters first and expand from there.

Reactions: shiekra38
Status
Not open for further replies.