Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 357 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just curious. How long does it take to build a theme park from ground up? It takes a couple years just to build a ride, or land. Seems like a park would take 5 years? minimum
It shouldn't need to take 5 years, but of course maybe it will. Building is a much easier process when you aren't under the confines of the park operating 365 days per year. Fresh site, no guests, no need to worry about daily operation yet will make it go along surprisingly quickly once they really get going.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Construction of IOA started in late 1996 if I remember correctly. The main car park was opened in 98 and you walked through a small portion of CityWalk (which wasn't opened yet) to get to USF.

I think 4 years should be easily done and as far as I'm concerned, construction has officially started.

Reactions: Mad Dog
It is going to be interesting to see what we get for the new park, also how far away is it from the current parks, Universal areas always seem more confusing in their relation to one another than Disney to me.

It is going to be interesting to see what we get for the new park, also how far away is it from the current parks, Universal areas always seem more confusing in their relation to one another than Disney to me.

The resorts will be connected via Universal Blvd. A streetcar system could connect the two at transit hubs. North would be CityWalk, Souh would be the new property. The rest of the parks/hotels would be accessible via walking paths.

They need bars at 2.0. Legit liquor/beer only places with distinct vibes and styles. Speakeasy, tiki-bar, and a "Cheers" type local bar. They'd do gang-busters with the convention crowds and re/introduce something they got rid of when they closed Cigarz (RIP).

I also want a comedy club/improv hall that kinda merges Improv and SAKS. Plus a Broadway-style or Cirque show in residence. I'm more interested in that sort of stuff than more of what 1.0 has.

The resorts will be connected via Universal Blvd. A streetcar system could connect the two at transit hubs. North would be CityWalk, Souh would be the new property. The rest of the parks/hotels would be accessible via walking paths.
I dont know about a street car. Transit (Trains Specifically) in Orlando struggle. Might not for long, but they aren't first on the menu right now.

They need bars at 2.0. Legit liquor/beer only places with distinct vibes and styles. Speakeasy, tiki-bar, and a "Cheers" type local bar. They'd do gang-busters with the convention crowds and re/introduce something they got rid of when they closed Cigarz (RIP).

I also want a comedy club/improv hall that kinda merges Improv and SAKS. Plus a Broadway-style or Cirque show in residence. I'm more interested in that sort of stuff than more of what 1.0 has.
:agree::thumbsup:....big expense accounts from the Convention crowd.Universal wants to get in on those tabs and into the wallets, no doubt.....It would be a poor business decision if they didn't take advantage of that Convention demo.

Reactions: SeventyOne

I still don’t know why there’s not a Tiki bar at Cabana or Royal Pacific. Or build one in JP. Baffling to me

As I've mentioned before, lots of folks seem to think Nintendo is getting its own park. Not me. But the idea persists.

Not sure why.

(But I bet I haven't helped.)

Honestly not a bad idea. Deal with a single IP holder, no competition over who gets more promotion or the "nicer" land. Allows thematic consistency. And probably the easiest thing to market, given how they botched the launch of IoA.

Your map shows it could still have a fair amount of thematic diversity. Throw in a sci fi property (there must be some obscure game they could resurrect), I think it would feel like a full park.

Ehh. This is why a full Nintendo park makes no sense. General public doesn’t care about F-zero or Metroid. Heck, I don’t care about them and I play video games regularly. Metroid and F-ZERO don’t deserve theme park rides when there are much better Sci-fi properties available.

Ehh. This is why a full Nintendo park makes no sense. General public doesn’t care about F-zero or Metroid. Heck, I don’t care about them and I play video games regularly. Metroid and F-ZERO don’t deserve theme park rides when there are much better Sci-fi properties available.
How bout Starfox?

Doubt there's much basis behind the rumor. Basically, it was a far fetched blue sky pitch someone heard about, and then it was floated on the boards to see if anyone else heard anything substantial. Mostly just fishing, that took on a life of it's own.

Doubt there's much basis behind the rumor. Basically, it was a far fetched blue sky pitch someone heard about, and then it was floated on the boards to see if anyone else heard anything substantial. Mostly just fishing, that took on a life of it's own.
Jim Hill and Len Testa said they were at a bar or somewhere and someone sat next to them and said “you hear about the Nintendo park Universal is building on the old Lockheed land?” And the rest is history.

I can’t remember which episode of the Disney Dish they talked about it. But was twice if I’m remembering correctly. Plus, Jim’s mentioned it to me before as well.

Not sure how reliable a source a random guy approaching you is, or if I’m misremembering their story, but that seems to be the origin of the rumor as far as I can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.