Attendance Tracker | Page 93 | Inside Universal Forums

Attendance Tracker

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The marketing team has their work cut out for them as they've been pushing DHS as the place for Star Wars for years. Now they have to make sure people know DHS is STILL the place for Star Wars... but for different reasons.
The media blitz that Disney will do for this land will make sure people know. I really think everyone is overthinking it. SWGE is going to be incredibly successful and I actually think marketing's bigger thing to focus on is getting people to realize that the Disneyland GE is not the only one.

Since GE will open in Anaheim next summer, quite a few months before DHS, many people may think they need to go to Disneyland to experience it. Marketing has to make it clear that this is a dual coast experience. Same thing at both DLR and WDW. Also I expect them to start pimping the SW Hotel when SWGE opens at DHS as a reason to come back. Right now the hotel is scheduled to open in 2020.

The other thing to consider with SWGE is that it is an IP that has the ability to pull people who are not typical Disney fans to do a Disney trip just to experience the world in a way they never could have before. Does it have the potential to fail? Yes, but whereas Pandora only moved bodies around the resort to DAK, SWGE will pull in fresh meat to the entire area.

The other thing to consider with SWGE is that it is an IP that has the ability to pull people who are not typical Disney fans to do a Disney trip just to experience the world in a way they never could have before. Does it have the potential to fail? Yes, but whereas Pandora only moved bodies around the resort to DAK, SWGE will pull in fresh meat to the entire area.
I'll give you the answer that you're probably going to hear: Star Wars has been in Disney parks for 30+ years.

The way I see it however is that it's only been one ride. This is an entire land, something that is adding to the canon completely. I can guarantee Star Wars fans who may have went to a Disney park to ride Star Tours only once and haven't been back since WILL be drawn in for this land. They just will.

Now does that translate to a huge spike though? Probably not too much. I'd say we're looking at a pretty large spike for the park, but the number of new visitors to the resort year over year probably is minimal.

Reactions: captainmoch
Now does that translate to a huge spike though? Probably not too much. I'd say we're looking at a pretty large spike for the park, but the number of new visitors to the resort year over year probably is minimal.

I agree with you but the only thing that keeps popping in my mind is that Disney doesn't want crowds, they want deep pockets. If they really wanted to push for attendance they could leave ticket prices as is, but between multi-day tickets going to a tiered system like the single day tickets happening by the end of 2018 and then the normal increase that's usually in February, they are only really catering to those who can afford it. They price enough people out as it is (and they say on investor calls pricing is a way to curb crowding) but SWGE is their way of people saying they're going at any cost.

I can only imagine how packed DL will be when it opens. It's going to be bedlam.

The media blitz that Disney will do for this land will make sure people know. I really think everyone is overthinking it. SWGE is going to be incredibly successful and I actually think marketing's bigger thing to focus on is getting people to realize that the Disneyland GE is not the only one.

Since GE will open in Anaheim next summer, quite a few months before DHS, many people may think they need to go to Disneyland to experience it. Marketing has to make it clear that this is a dual coast experience. Same thing at both DLR and WDW. Also I expect them to start pimping the SW Hotel when SWGE opens at DHS as a reason to come back. Right now the hotel is scheduled to open in 2020.

People will know a Star Wars land is at DHS.. yes...just like they've known Star Wars has been there for years. Not sure how big the push was for Seasons of the Force at DLR and how that was marketed or if it would affect them the same way. What they need to make clear is what Galaxy's Edge is, which is something theme park marketing typically does not do. Not that it's necessarily deceptive, but it does usually use a lot of renderings and animation to come together.

Look at the commercial for Toy Story Land that's currently playing. Slinky follows the bouncing ball all the way to WDW, but do you actually ever see a the coaster going around the track or the Alien Swirling Saucers? No. Gringotts was using movie footage for it's first few ads, Kong showed ridefilm footage but not any of the vehicle on the track, Pandora promised you can fly like a banshee while showing the river journey, etc.

Even with TV spots playing every commercial break, when it comes to theme park ads, a lot of people are still left wondering exactly what these lands or attractions encompass and if it's enticing enough for a visit.

Reactions: CyborgDinosaur
I'll give you the answer that you're probably going to hear: Star Wars has been in Disney parks for 30+ years.

The way I see it however is that it's only been one ride. This is an entire land, something that is adding to the canon completely. I can guarantee Star Wars fans who may have went to a Disney park to ride Star Tours only once and haven't been back since WILL be drawn in for this land. They just will.

I'd counter with Star Wars Weekends. Which was always packed--until they blocked Cast Members. Then it became a moderately crowded weekend at worst.

And if you counter with "that was mostly celebs who work the convention circuit who you can meet anywhere"--exactly. That's my original point. Everything but the Falcon has been done to death elsewhere.

Reactions: Rawbuhrt
I'd counter with Star Wars Weekends. Which was always packed--until they blocked Cast Members. Then it became a moderately crowded weekend at worst.

And if you counter with "that was mostly celebs who work the convention circuit who you can meet anywhere"--exactly. That's my original point. Everything but the Falcon has been done to death elsewhere.
Everything but the Falcon? What exactly do you mean by this? The characters/the Falcon itself or the Ride system? Because if you aren't talking the ride system, the ride will be based on The First Order, which has not been done in a Disney park other than the little "march" that they currently do at DHS.

I think it's ridiculous we're having this discussion about the drawing power of Star Wars. If someone went around saying the same thing about Potter or Mario, they would get Universally (no pun intended) blasted for that hot take.

Star Wars is one of the biggest IPs in the world, next to Potter, Nintendo, Marvel and Lord of the Rings. Just because it's had a presence doesn't mean people won't show up. Although if people don't show up, then I say great! I'll actually be able to get on the rides.

Everything but the Falcon? What exactly do you mean by this? The characters/the Falcon itself or the Ride system? Because if you aren't talking the ride system, the ride will be based on The First Order, which has not been done in a Disney park other than the little "march" that they currently do at DHS.

I think it's ridiculous we're having this discussion about the drawing power of Star Wars. If someone went around saying the same thing about Potter or Mario, they would get Universally (no pun intended) blasted for that hot take.

Star Wars is one of the biggest IPs in the world, next to Potter, Nintendo, Marvel and Lord of the Rings. Just because it's had a presence doesn't mean people won't show up. Although if people don't show up, then I say great! I'll actually be able to get on the rides.

Yea. I think Disney could have a problem when it comes to merch sales at the land due to the ubiquitous nature of SW merch, and I think the SW hotel is a long-term dud idea, but people are going to show up for the land, at least for a year or two

Yea. I think Disney could have a problem when it comes to merch sales at the land due to the ubiquitous nature of SW merch, and I think the SW hotel is a long-term dud idea, but people are going to show up for the land, at least for a year or two
I agree about merch, but it sounds like they are going for in-world, Batuu exclusive merch. I'm sure there will be a place to purchase lightsabers (probably near the the Jedi Training Academy, wherever it moves to), but in the main shopping areas, it's said to be set up like a Farmers Market type of place. You won't just be able to walk up and purchase a light saber because that's not how it would work on Batuu or anywhere in the Star Wars canon.

As for the SW Hotel, I think that's a low risk idea. If it fails, they can just turn it into a regular hotel.

I agree about merch, but it sounds like they are going for in-world, Batuu exclusive merch. I'm sure there will be a place to purchase lightsabers (probably near the the Jedi Training Academy, wherever it moves to), but in the main shopping areas, it's said to be set up like a Farmers Market type of place. You won't just be able to walk up and purchase a light saber because that's not how it would work on Batuu or anywhere in the Star Wars canon.

Yea, we'll see if they can make that kind of merch desirable to the masses.

Reactions: SeventyOne and Nick

The Falcon itself. Pictures in front of it, getting to ride "inside" it. What Star Tours should have been two decades ago.

ETA: it's the Hogwarts of this land. Will be an unmitigated success Cantina would have been, not sure how it will play as a full-serve restaurant tho.

From Disney's Quarterly report:

Parks and Resorts revenues for the quarter increased 6% to $5.2 billion and segment operating income increased 15% to $1.3 billion. Operating income growth for the quarter was due to increases across key operations. Results include an unfavorable impact due to the timing of the Easter holiday relative to our fiscal periods. One week of the Easter holiday fell in the third quarter of the current year whereas both holiday weeks fell in the third quarter of the prior year.

Higher operating income at our domestic parks and resorts was due to increased guest spending, partially offset by increased costs. Guest spending growth was due to increases in average ticket prices, food, beverage and merchandise spending and average daily hotel room rates. The increase in costs was due to labor and other cost inflation, partially offset by lower marketing costs. At our cruise line, growth was driven by higher passenger cruise days, which was primarily due to the Disney Fantasy dry-dock in the prior-year quarter.

The increased operating income at our international parks and resorts was due to growth at Shanghai Disney Resort and Hong Kong Disneyland Resort. Higher operating income at Shanghai Disney Resort was due to lower costs and attendance growth, partially offset by decreased guest spending. The decrease in guest spending was driven by lower average ticket prices, partially offset by higher food and beverage spending. At Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, the increase in operating income was primarily due to higher occupied room nights, average ticket prices and attendance.

Reactions: UNIrd
I was at the DHS grand opening day of Star Tours Two when they had shaded queues up and down the SOA. But hardly anyone showed up. The street was empty. The line was only slightly longer than the original queue.....That said, this new land sounds like it's going to be excellent. I'd expect big crowds for a good while.I think the quality and completeness of the land will support it's success:thumbsup:. I think Joe's right that the parks have a better handle on crowds now, so they won't ever recreate the grand opening Hogsmeade day..As I said previously, I just hope they don't screw it up with unrealistic pricing and reservation systems. If they do, all bets are off. :thumbsdown:
To be fair, Star Tours is a capacity mammoth. I’ve waited in the entire outdoor queue before, and the actual wait time was still under an hour.

I was at the DHS grand opening day of Star Tours Two when they had shaded queues up and down the SOA. But hardly anyone showed up. The street was empty. The line was only slightly longer than the original queue.....That said, this new land sounds like it's going to be excellent. I'd expect big crowds for a good while.I think the quality and completeness of the land will support it's success:thumbsup:. I think Joe's right that the parks have a better handle on crowds now, so they won't ever recreate the grand opening Hogsmeade day..As I said previously, I just hope they don't screw it up with unrealistic pricing and reservation systems. If they do, all bets are off. :thumbsdown:

I was going to say what @Jones14 mentioned in that Star Tours has what 6 or 8 theatres so it can move crowds.

But it is your last line that bugs worries me. Before they started building this new stuff, it really seemed like they were projecting ideas as if they want this area to be a premium over what the parks offer today.

I can’t imagine how they will get these rides to handle the potential that will come. Many people we at the very least expect to try the new stuff, but Disney has tons of rooms. Heck, I am 200 miles away and I know tons of passholders...how does Disney handle the demand that is placed on a couple of rides? How do they capitalize on it in a growth way?

This is where the crazy balance has to come from, they take money year in year out from locals/passholders, but when they open something new, they want to block the AP/locals to allow new draw for the new rides. That is part of how/why they started surge pricing, more types of passes with more restrictions...just scary stuff to me.

From what it sounds like, Pandora is still a long wait and we have not seen that yet, I can’t help but feel this area will be packed for a lot of years.

Time will tell, and I do hope they do it right....but they’ve lost a lot of good will from my eyes as someone who first visited in ‘71 and who hasn’t been since just prior to ‘magic bands’

Reactions: Coasted
So, just a cursory glance looking for hotels during HHN and literally everything outside of Cabana is fully booked for the weekend I'm going.

In years past, i’ve noticed that make it hard to find rooms for less than a three night stay around HHN time of year, heck, this year we plan on going one less night for the room rates were way too much to add a Sunday night (seemed as if since it went into a different week it had a much higher base rate).

But it does amaze me that they keep adding rooms and I never seem able to find rooms like we could when they only had three hotels.

Reactions: MrRoamer
In years past, i’ve noticed that make it hard to find rooms for less than a three night stay around HHN time of year, heck, this year we plan on going one less night for the room rates were way too much to add a Sunday night (seemed as if since it went into a different week it had a much higher base rate).

But it does amaze me that they keep adding rooms and I never seem able to find rooms like we could when they only had three hotels.
Yeah, before 2014 you could get a hotel room the week before HHN without any trouble.

Literally. :lol: I honestly thought the new hotels would make it easier (and sometimes cheaper?) to get into Royal Pacific, which was always my favorite. How wrong I was.

Reactions: Frank Drackman