Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion

Also Fear being a marketing force-on. If he had been, say, a member of A&D in the early ‘90s who came up with so much of the ideas, but got in trouble somehow, was fired and then burned himself alive (Uni covered it up?) and for 20 he’s back for revenge, I think that would’ve been a cool idea.
I like this idea better with the designer, instead of burning himself alive, getting hired by Busch Gardens and later Disney.

This is shaping up to be one of, if not, the best years ever. An equal balance of IP's to originals. None of the IP's (except for Blum) feel forced. All of the originals look to be outstanding. Marketing has killed it. Website design has been way better than years past. I didn't think we would get a year like this until the 30th anniversary since they tend to go all out every 5 years but they have proved me wrong. The only thing that could hurt these houses now are the casts because from a design/story/visual standpoint, they are all great!

I have been going since 04 and I would say the potential is there!

Yea, I remember when everyone was psyched for Silent Hill and Resident Evil.

I was one of the few that actually like Resident Evil. Lol

Obviously some years things work better than others. Seems like they caught lightning in a bottle in 2011.

Dang I missed that year! 08 was probably the best overall year I've been to.

Last edited:
SEEMS like they were on a tight budget with HHN 20–remember, Uni wasn’t in the best straits attendance-wise pre-Potter, so I’m guessing that manifested itself that year.

With the exception of Hades, I don't think budget was really a issue. But I know there was a LOT of hype for this year and it didn't quite meet expectations. It's a great example of just because a lineup looks great, doesn't mean it'll be that way in execution. Though this year does feel wonderfully different compared to the others (Marketing alone has been a huge step up), so there's some nice hope this'll be a solid year.

With the exception of Hades, I don't think budget was really a issue. But I know there was a LOT of hype for this year and it didn't quite meet expectations. It's a great example of just because a lineup looks great, doesn't mean it'll be that way in execution. Though this year does feel wonderfully different compared to the others (Marketing alone has been a huge step up), so there's some nice hope this'll be a solid year.

At least to me, it didn’t seem all that impressive a lineup (Catacombs and Hades seemed like cool concepts.)

I am excited for the event this year and the line up of houses does seem very strong on paper the best since i've been going in 06. Can anyone tell me when was the last time they only had one "show" at the event? There always seemed to be Bill and Ted + one other (carnival of carnage, AoV, rocky horror, Bushwood, robosauraus) and they were always usually staggered which meant great people eaters. Wondering how just having AoV this year will affect house wait times even with the additional house.

This is the first year I’ve been on the forums... just curious if the “This year has all-time potential” conversation happens virtually every year once the full line-up becomes clear.

Edit - Just to be clear, I’m not saying I don’t believe this years lineup sounds great.

HHN20 is a year where I wish they would bring back some concepts. I think The Orfanage, Catacombs, Hades, & Legendary Truth would be awesome if they came back today

Honestly, I do not share the seeming majority's hype of an "all-time event" for this year. However, I always try to refrain from letting my expectations steer my opinions of the event. I will go in with an open mind and provide fair reviews once I've seen everything. I am hopeful that I will come away pleasantly surprised with HHN28.

This year seems to be custom tailored to my personal preferences! I tend not to go to HHN for the scares, but for the set designs, sfx, and costumes. I vastly prefer darkly humorous mazes to ones that attempt sincere menace. I prefer originals to IPs, but, if we must have IPs, I favor those that are older (Poltergeist) or a bit more obscure (TrT, Killer Klownz, even H4). And, to top it all off, I really enjoy Stranger Things.

Basically, this year seems to cater to my tastes more than any since 2008, without a doubt my favorite of the events I’ve attended. I can absolutely understand how folks who focus on scares or prefer straight-faced horror might be doubtful about this lineup, but Uni would have to try pretty hard to turn this particular event into one that disappoints me. I hope my anticipation isn’t misplaced.

Last edited:
I'll be honest with you - I always have a great time at HHN. For me, it's about the people I'm with, and just watching the park transform once the sun goes down. Yes, some years have been more successful than others, but I've never come home from HHN and regretted it.

Almost like it it’s not about the houses but the friends we’ve made along the way. :cheers:

So does anyone have any news/etc. about the alcohol situation this year? Were the last-minute changes made last year (no blood-shot girls, only beer/premix/watered down drinks in the tents) effective to what Uni wanted to achieve?

I gotta say that last year, I didn't notice any difference in crowd behavior with less alcohol available for sale.

So does anyone have any news/etc. about the alcohol situation this year? Were the last-minute changes made last year (no blood-shot girls, only beer/premix/watered down drinks in the tents) effective to what Uni wanted to achieve?

I gotta say that last year, I didn't notice any difference in crowd behavior with less alcohol available for sale.

No information yet.

I just like HHN. Don’t really get let down since I’m still there. Never watched a single AHS, but still enjoyed the houses due to the work they put into it. I go for the sets and scenes just as much as I go for the “scares.”

Have you done the backstage tour thing? You get to go through 3 houses and can take photos in the original houses. It's such an awesome sight to do.

Pizza Fries are confirmed, ;).

Well, this was the only thing I tried last year that was remotely edible for me, so at least that’s something. The rest were NYT-Guy-Fieri-review levels of bad.

oY9hWTz.gif

Honestly, I do not share the seeming majority's hype of an "all-time event" for this year. However, I always try to refrain from letting my expectations steer my opinions of the event. I will go in with an open mind and provide fair reviews once I've seen everything. I am hopeful that I will come away pleasantly surprised with HHN28.

Yeah, there's obviously a wide variety of opinions, which makes forums like this so interesting. I recall you not being as big a fan of 21 as most people were either, and that's definitely considered an "all-time event."

Last edited: