Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 28: Dead Exposure: Patient Zero

Am I the only one that LOVES the entrance to this house? Granted I haven't been through the house in person yet (don't go until the last three nights of the event) but from the multiple videos I have seen the outside scene looks fantastic. I love the music in conjunction with the dialogue about the vaccination warnings. The dialogue sounds very authentic and hits all the right 'feels'. I love me some good exposition!

Now, the house itself seems iffy to me. I get why its so polarizing to people. This is the only house I am nervous about going through solely due to the possible 'mission space effect'. There is a strong possibility the strobes might make me too disoriented and could ruin the night. I will probably save this house for last the first night and see how I handle it. If I get too disoriented it will be a one and done. If not I see it potentially being a favorite.

Am I the only one that LOVES the entrance to this house? Granted I haven't been through the house in person yet (don't go until the last three nights of the event) but from the multiple videos I have seen the outside scene looks fantastic. I love the music in conjunction with the dialogue about the vaccination warnings. The dialogue sounds very authentic and hits all the right 'feels'. I love me some good exposition!

Now, the house itself seems iffy to me. I get why its so polarizing to people. This is the only house I am nervous about going through solely due to the possible 'mission space effect'. There is a strong possibility the strobes might make me too disoriented and could ruin the night. I will probably save this house for last the first night and see how I handle it. If I get too disoriented it will be a one and done. If not I see it potentially being a favorite.

I adore the entrance to this house. That techno music ALMOST had me dancing. Got me pumped for the maze. Feels very cyberpunk.

Fantastic house, all 3 of us loved it. Loved the lighting and scares. Walking into to what i think was the hospital scene was a pain though as the smoke was that dense that the people in front of us couldn't see where to go next and tried to come back out from where we had come from! Tube scene is definitely the best. Probably my 3rd favourite house!

Honestly, I feel like the best way to enjoy this house is just to go with it and not try to make any sense out of it. That's how I enjoyed it just get the crap scared out of you in the dark or just get strobed to death.

Just remembered hearing someone in SoX’s queue questioning:

“Maybe Dead Exposure wasn’t supposed to have strobes, was there a mechanical problem?”

nevermind_nathan_fillion.gif

Out of all the houses at the event, this one probably had the most on the line for me anticipation-wise. I heard all the stories of how the 2008 original was one of the scariest houses at the event, and I was super intrigued on how this gimmick looked in person. An right before the event, I was hearing those who normally don't get scared...got scared in this one. It all sounded so promising, but there's always a chance things would fail or not meet my personal hype, so I was nervous in more then one ways if it was going to deliver or not. Especially considering Ian and I saved this house for last. It was truly a make or break moment.

This house exceeded my expectations in every way.

Without a single doubt, this was the scariest house at the event. An it downright wrecked me and Ian, once we got into the first scene with the UV gimmick, it was completely unsettling and one hard hitting scare after the next. Once we were out, I was full on sweating and it wasn't due to the heat, that's never happened to me before! The cast was very aggressive, going all in on the scares even during the periods of darkness. A good chunk "double dipped" on me. First hitting with the UV strobe, then lunging out again seconds later when it was dark.

Hat's off to everyone involved with this one, and I'm really curious what was the electronic song used at the entrance? It was oddly fitting and did a killer job of hyping the crowd up.

I'm really curious what was the electronic song used at the entrance? It was oddly fitting and did a killer job of hyping the crowd up.

One of the music choices for this house is “Hate or Glory” by Gesaffelstein(he’s french) and it sounds very 80’s. They also have the announcement for getting the cure in lots of different languages.

Ok, now I’m getting really nervous. We will be down next week for our first ever HHN. We’ve been doing Howl-O-Scream (Williamsburg) for years. Only in the last 2 years have I enjoyed the houses as I was a big chicken. So I think I’ll do fine in all the houses at HHN...but this one, this one has me worried....is if really THAT scary?? And it is mostly because they get in your face without you knowing until the strobe flashes?

Ok, now I’m getting really nervous. We will be down next week for our first ever HHN. We’ve been doing Howl-O-Scream (Williamsburg) for years. Only in the last 2 years have I enjoyed the houses as I was a big chicken. So I think I’ll do fine in all the houses at HHN...but this one, this one has me worried....is if really THAT scary?? And it is mostly because they get in your face without you knowing until the strobe flashes?

It is very disorienting and very very loud.

Yeah it really is that scary. Specially if u go while the sun is out. If theres any kind of sunlight out ( or even going down) the house can traumatize you.

The strobes are very hard to deal with and the boo holes are super hidden.

It is very disorienting and very very loud.

Yeah it really is that scary. Specially if u go while the sun is out. If theres any kind of sunlight out ( or even going down) the house can traumatize you.

The strobes are very hard to deal with and the boo holes are super hidden.

Can you elaborate? Why would it be worse (scarier) when the sun is out? I would have thought total darkness in the house is the worst condition. Or is it because your eyes are not adjusted and you can't see them coming?

Can you elaborate? Why would it be worse (scarier) when the sun is out? I would have thought total darkness in the house is the worst condition. Or is it because your eyes are not adjusted and you can't see them coming?
Bingo.

I'll just say this: This is by far the most intense house this year. Try all the others, and if any of those are too much for you, you can skip this one.

Bingo.

I'll just say this: This is by far the most intense house this year. Try all the others, and if any of those are too much for you, you can skip this one.

With this being my daughter's first HHN, we're planning on hitting dead exposure towards the end of our run, after she's had 5-7 houses. We should know by then if she can or cannot handle that intensity. I'm hoping yes, because it sounds like a once in a lifetime cool house experience, but all the info on the board definitely pushed it to the back of the list so we can make a good decision after seeing how she does in others.

My experience has been that after about the third house for me, I just don't get scared as much and can really enjoy the scenery and experience. It's like I become a little desensitized to people jumping out at me. I'm hoping it's the same for her.

Every time I walk through this house I like it less and less. The first time I did it, it was up there with my top houses. After doing every house except Blum and Slaughter today (and I did Dead Exposure twice), it's now only above Blum and Halloween, imo.

The lighting effect works on your first time through and it disorients you, but the house has little to no scares and tbh, it looks like it would be better off had they made this a 3D house considering the lack of scares and focus on disorientation.

The first run through I had of dead exposure nothing was working. It was just pitch black mostly. The second run.... wow it was the most terrifying house this year the bus scene was the most disorienting scene and scary imo. I loved it lol

With this being my daughter's first HHN, we're planning on hitting dead exposure towards the end of our run, after she's had 5-7 houses. We should know by then if she can or cannot handle that intensity. I'm hoping yes, because it sounds like a once in a lifetime cool house experience, but all the info on the board definitely pushed it to the back of the list so we can make a good decision after seeing how she does in others.

My experience has been that after about the third house for me, I just don't get scared as much and can really enjoy the scenery and experience. It's like I become a little desensitized to people jumping out at me. I'm hoping it's the same for her.

The sunlight makes ur eyes go completely crazy while inside. U dont see little things like the edges of the walls, or the entrances to each room ( the edges of the entrances or doorways) a lot of little details are kinda lost while ur eyes adjust,

Theres also a room with fake zombie bodies ( manequins?) And a couple of real zombies, you cant tell the real ones cuz of the strobes. This is scary enough if ur eyes work well, but without adjusting it becomes very nerve wrecking. Even hhn veterans and non scary guys get freaked out in this room. ( even i got scared)

The biggest advice i can give u guys is to wear earplugs or just make some plugs by using a little bit of tissue or toilet paper or something ( i noticed a lady doing her own ear plugs for trick r treat) in case u dont have them on hand.
If u can cancel out the noise, it is not as terrifying.

There were no triggered scares. But the scare actors that could scare would pop out. It was absolutely pitch black . Me and my wife ran into a few walls trying to navigate through it. That by itself was terrifying.and to make it worse the people that are supposed to guide you were nowhere insight. It was a cluster. I had some weird nightmares at sapphire falls that night. Lol

The biggest advice i can give u guys is to wear earplugs or just make some plugs by using a little bit of tissue or toilet paper or something ( i noticed a lady doing her own ear plugs for trick r treat) in case u dont have them on hand.
If u can cancel out the noise, it is not as terrifying.
I don’t advise this, noise is a huge part of the house and IMO without it a huge part of the experience is lost.

@IHateJumpScares , if your main worry is that it’ll be too dark and disorienting, either hit this one later in the night OR wear sunglasses in the hours leading up to hitting this one earlier in the day. This makes your eyes already adjusted to the dark and you’ll be far less disoriented.