Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Lodge

If you use rack rates, then Ive already used more then my mortgage cost and stayed in resorts I would never have paid $$$s for and I have over 40 years left to run on. Granted it's not for everyone but for me, and my family it has been a great investment.
But if you were never going to stay at those hotels and/or wouldn’t pay rack rate, then it’s not a good comparison whatsoever. If you stayed at moderates during 20% off sales, that’s the numbers you should use. That’s their whole sales gimmick is to compare DVC to rack rates of deluxes, something no one ever pays.

Note: I own at 3 different DVC resorts, and absolutely love DVC- but with today’s numbers of $185 in addition to interest(yikes), you cannot make it work out financially by any stretch of the imagination.
It’s like overpriced designer clothes. You can get it because you enjoy/love it, but don’t do it and argue it makes financial sense.

Last edited:
My family owns at SSR and AKL (have slightly over 300 points - bought in 2007). We hardly ever stay at our home resorts, but who cares, with the points we have, we can stay anywhere as long as we're on top of booking. I've even had no problem booking Grand Cali in the past in the shortened window and they have the fewest rooms out of any DVC property.

Google “reflections rehab”

A bunch of people on Twitter said it sounds like the name of a rehab center. I’d like to add that there’s at least three rehab centers called “Reflections”

I was going to mention this the other day. They've done a heck of a lot of clearing for the new roads to the resort. You can see the new roadways when you ride the EPCOT monorail.

Also from the article on Attractions: New details I learned during my visit to Walt Disney Imagineering

In speaking about the rooms they’re designing for Reflections, Fisher told us how amazing they are and how they’re unlike anything we have seen before, that is until they’re “value engineered”. The Imagineers sometimes design things as if money is no object, then those in the company who are in charge of the costs for the project, “value engineer” it down to be not quite as spectacular.​

Also from the article on Attractions: New details I learned during my visit to Walt Disney Imagineering

In speaking about the rooms they’re designing for Reflections, Fisher told us how amazing they are and how they’re unlike anything we have seen before, that is until they’re “value engineered”. The Imagineers sometimes design things as if money is no object, then those in the company who are in charge of the costs for the project, “value engineer” it down to be not quite as spectacular.​
That doesn't exactly sound like the definition of "value engineering" if WDI is just designing things as if money isn't an issue. At some point you have to stick to the constraints of the budget you're given.

There's a new permit to show how invasive this new resort is to Ft. Wilderness, basically the phone TriCircle D pony ranch area now a parking lot, and the new resort backs up right up to Pioneer Hall where trails end and the Hoop Dee Doo review is. And bungalows taking over the beach next to the boat dock. I'm not sure how this doesn't totally kill the "old Disney" feel of the area.

upload_2019-5-6_22-21-2.png

see Massive Impacts Coming for Fort Wilderness as Permits Reveal Layout of Reflections - A Disney Lakeside Lodge - Blog Mickey for more on this.

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-6_22-20-32.png
    upload_2019-5-6_22-20-32.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1