Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Lodge

The design of this hotel is so interesting to me considering the Disney touches have been so subtle at anything but the values since the resort began, minus the later addition of the Pirate rooms and Royal rooms to the moderates.

I've always thought there would be a market for this, even if it seems a little jarring at first considering the other resorts. There's definitely families who would prefer Deluxe/DVC accommodations with a bit more character.

The design of this hotel is so interesting to me considering the Disney touches have been so subtle at anything but the values since the resort began, minus the later addition of the Pirate rooms and Royal rooms to the moderates.

I've always thought there would be a market for this, even if it seems a little jarring at first considering the other resorts. There's definitely families who would prefer Deluxe/DVC accommodations with a bit more character.
I see what you did there :lol:

It's such a perfect use of the IP, being a lakeside restaurant and all. A restaurant was so obvious from this movie from the jump given Tiana owns a restaurant in the movie...

That new Tri-D ranch looks like a value Galactic Starcruiser for the rest of us - exterior corridors in space, what could go wrong?

I could be wrong but that tree might be wildlife related - if a protected bird builds a nest in a tree, developers can’t cut it down until they leave on their own.

From Marni...seems like Reflections has hit the fan; and is possibly being canceled.

I mean, I can see it being put on hold, but idk, this could turn into a Pop Century Legendary Yesrs/AoA situation. They cleared a ton of land and did a bunch of prep work, so they won’t leave it like this forever.

From Marni...seems like Reflections has hit the fan; and is possibly being canceled.

It always felt like the rationale for continuing to build this resort was "Disney is required to build a new DVC resort every two years," which felt like a strange and obtuse reason to me. That isn't sustainable at all.

Also something about "the money is already earmarked" (lol), which is an even weirder reason because it's all one company's money and Disney can move its money around however it wishes.

It always felt like the rationale for continuing to build this resort was "Disney is required to build a new DVC resort every two years," which felt like a strange and obtuse reason to me. That isn't sustainable at all.

Also something about "the money is already earmarked" (lol), which is an even weirder reason because it's all one company's money and Disney can move its money around however it wishes.
DVC gets built so often bc its a money machine. What happens when the 50 year contracts run out though is the question. I guess if a family doesn’t re-up you have to start re-selling EVERY resort again? Eesh.

DVC gets built so often bc its a money machine. What happens when the 50 year contracts run out though is the question though. I guess if a family doesn’t re-up you have to start re-selling EVERY resort again? Eesh.
I've always assumed Disney is expecting the singularity event within 50 years, and once super A.I. covers the planet in gray goo nothing will matter anymore anyway.

Not required to build, but the DVC model centers on continually having something to sell. It kept getting built because people kept buying up the available points (no idea who these people are over the last 4-5 years with how much points cost these days). Mothballing Reflections not only speaks to a much slower sales pace but potential defaults/point repossessions that they see on the horizon.

And the reason "the money is already earmarked" is because 1) there's like 25 years of history that says they'll need more points to sell every few years and 2) DVC is like getting people to pay you today for 50 years worth of hotel stays. Time value of money and all that jazz... a spreadsheet for 50 years of money at once looks amazing compared to a spreadsheet that spreads 50 years of revenue over 50 actual years or a spreadsheet for an attraction that might bring in extra people over a few decades.

So Gort Wilderness holds a special place in my heart because that was where my family spent every summer growing up. We rented an RV and drive from Michigan. So a big piece of me wants this to fizzle our, then they use the land to improve Fort Wilderness.

But I know that won’t make money like a DVC would.

Well they done tore up all the greenery. They have to do something. At least along the lakefront.

Exactly. They have put enough work into the resort that they cannot leave it in this state. I figure that they will shelve it for six months to a year and then restart IF things return to normal. Or it could sit there like the resort that eventually became Art of Animation (and those buildings were even further along when work stopped). DVC should be a money maker for them although they might be maxxing out the market for it. Availability and cost could erode demand. I wonder if Riviera sold out yet.