Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2) | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure an indoor park is financially beneficial when a water park in Orlando can stay open 90% of the year.
Yeah there's only really a small handful of days they close for weather. The afternoons when they close for thunderstorms it probably just pushes people out of the water and into the shops and restaurants so there probably isn't much motivation for a big expense like that.

I'm not sure an indoor park is financially beneficial when a water park in Orlando can stay open 90% of the year.

That's the key factor. If it costs more to build and run than what they'll make back for being able to open that extra 10% of the year, then there's no point. Operating and maintenance costs will be higher with an indoor park as well.

Reactions: truejonas
Looking at the blue sky thread vs this one it seems the threads are backwards, actual news about the Hub and Spoke layout for the new park is there in the blue sky thread, while the blue sky thought going on about indoor waterparks and things beyond the new park (which make no sense in Florida, since the primary reason for them is being open in colder weather) is in here.

I tend to not look at the blue sky thread because a lot of the ideas there are just horrible. What's the place for actual news and observations about the new complex?

Last edited:
Reactions: therock and Alicia
Looking at the blue sky thread vs this one it seems the threads are backwards, actual news about the Hub and Spoke layout for the new park is there in the blue sky thread, while the blue sky thought going on about indoor waterparks and things beyond the new park (which make no sense in Florida, since the primary reason for them is being open in colder weather) is in here.

I tend to not look at the blue sky thread because a lot of the ideas there are just horrible. What's the place for actual news and observations about the new complex?
Since it’s not official I didn’t post my hub and spoke comment here. But yea, I prefer this thread be for more concrete info.

Why not have an indoor water park with a retractable roof?

Only problem I see with a retractable roof is cost. When discussing the possible new ballpark for the Tampa Bay Rays, the owner said it was too costly and wouldn't stay open for a majority of the season. Of course, that is a baseball park and this is a water park, so it's a completely different situation.

Reactions: truejonas

I'll admit that a fair portion of this thread's speculation is my fault.

Going back through the threads, much of the discussion in the blue sky thread has been about which IP's the park will have, while the expansion threads have focused on land and how to utilize it in expanding the resort. So when topics near the blurry line between blue sky and confirmed - such as park layout rumors or how to integrate a waterpark into the resort - it is quite easy for 4th gate discussion to end up in blue sky and other resort items here.

It also doesn't really help to have a thread carefully limited to concrete information when basically no concrete information is being released. The last new plans were submitted over 2 months ago, and Universal's last comments about the new park were over 5 months ago. To keep this thread from going dead and to fill the silence, I've been trying to engage in "informed speculation" where I try to read whatever I can out of the few breadcrumbs we have and infer from there what the future plans may hold. The problem is that while it's not the concrete news some hope for in this thread, I don't think it's really blue sky type material either.

I would much prefer to have more threads focused by topic, so that each (reasonable) Fantastic Worlds Discussion, Hotel Speculation, Roads/Infrastructure/Backstage Discussion, and Blue Sky/Future Expansion Speculation could have their own thread, however I understand the desire to wait until we have reason to believe that projects are moving beyond their current pseudo-confirmed development hole before making additional threads.

Only problem I see with a retractable roof is cost. When discussing the possible new ballpark for the Tampa Bay Rays, the owner said it was too costly and wouldn't stay open for a majority of the season. Of course, that is a baseball park and this is a water park, so it's a completely different situation.

I was just thinking the same thing. The cost for a retractable roof at a baseball stadium is approx. $250 million. Size wise, I have no idea how that translates but I imagine it’s cheaper to just have permanent roof or no roof.

Reactions: natespf and Mad Dog
I was just thinking the same thing. The cost for a retractable roof at a baseball stadium is approx. $250 million. Size wise, I have no idea how that translates but I imagine it’s cheaper to just have permanent roof or no roof.
Especially during baseball season. A non hot humid day would be a rarity of sorts.

Reactions: WolfmanJ
Another possibility for saving land space could possibly come through a deal with the convention center. I imagine the existing convention center surface lots could be converted to garages and connected to Universal's new park through transit/people mover/etc if Universal is desperate for room. Hell, from what I've seen, the huge convention center parking garage on destination parkway is barely open, just for a few events at the convention center a year, since they generally use the surface lots first. I'm not sure why they built that garage so far away from everything. Lets not forget Universal also picked up a number of parcels large enough for hotels around the convention center as well... I think that surface lot and remaining empty space is being reserved solely for dry park 4, no parking, no hotels, in their long term plan.

Reactions: tielo
It's still beyond me why a water park isn't open at night as a party & entertainment area (especially during "colder" days). I have no desire to visit a water park but I would love to walk around in Volcano Bay (or the next water park), have some concerts on a velvet sessions (Hard Rock hotel) scale, sample the food and have a drink. Not sure if the Volcano Bay is rented out to companies for these kind of events but I have the feeling it is under used.

Regarding the enclosure. I'm not going to Florida to walk inside a building. I go for the sun and great weather knowing there will be colder day.

Reactions: SkiBum
It's still beyond me why a water park isn't open at night as a party & entertainment area (especially during "colder" days). I have no desire to visit a water park but I would love to walk around in Volcano Bay (or the next water park), have some concerts on a velvet sessions (Hard Rock hotel) scale, sample the food and have a drink. Not sure if the Volcano Bay is rented out to companies for these kind of events but I have the feeling it is under used.

Regarding the enclosure. I'm not going to Florida to walk inside a building. I go for the sun and great weather knowing there will be colder day.

A slightly different environment, but I know Discovery Bay and I believe the Disney waterparks does some night parties like that. If it was just a buffet and music (with the water rides open, most likely) for an evening, I think that would go over real well.

Reactions: tielo
Another possibility for saving land space could possibly come through a deal with the convention center. I imagine the existing convention center surface lots could be converted to garages and connected to Universal's new park through transit/people mover/etc if Universal is desperate for room. Hell, from what I've seen, the huge convention center parking garage on destination parkway is barely open, just for a few events at the convention center a year, since they generally use the surface lots first. I'm not sure why they built that garage so far away from everything. Lets not forget Universal also picked up a number of parcels large enough for hotels around the convention center as well... I think that surface lot and remaining empty space is being reserved solely for dry park 4, no parking, no hotels, in their long term plan.
While that's a nice idea, sharing a parking lot with the OCCC would be a nightmare for all involved. Just look at the situation with California's Great America and the football stadium they are forced to share a parking lot with.

A slightly different environment, but I know Discovery Bay and I believe the Disney waterparks does some night parties like that. If it was just a buffet and music (with the water rides open, most likely) for an evening, I think that would go over real well.
Yeah, Disney had a “Glow Nights” event last summer and it is coming back again this year starting in May. Typhoon holds a lot of buyouts, too.

Yeah, Disney had a “Glow Nights” event last summer and it is coming back again this year starting in May. Typhoon holds a lot of buyouts, too.

With the exception of groups and some special events though, I don't think Universal really goes after that "after hours" demo. With the exception of the busy seasons, I can't imagine there being enough demand to justify it. People can get EP just as easily.

With the exception of groups and some special events though, I don't think Universal really goes after that "after hours" demo. With the exception of the busy seasons, I can't imagine there being enough demand to justify it. People can get EP just as easily.
But, with more and more resort guests that will change. It used to be Disney didn't have all the extended park hours and after hours stuff either, but when you reach a tipping point that you have all these guests staying on property and they start wandering off to other stuff off property, you start giving them more to do and more hours to do it. Adding two huge new hotels on I-Drive is going to be a big push in that direction since they'll be prime candidates to be enticed off property with the glowing rides of Fun Spot/Magical Midway/Orlando Eye, etc. all just a short hop away and all operating later hours than Universal.

Status
Not open for further replies.