Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2) | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something keep in mind is that another theme park would probably be 15-20 years from now. With the way things are going we'll probably see less need for the idea of a large parking lot or garage as more and more people give up owning cars (let alone renting them on vacation). With the reduced need for parking areas more space opens up for development. Even on the existing property you could theoretically add more things with the demise of so much dedicated parking space.

Reactions: gator
Another water park makes the most sense. I'm sure the new park will be built with plenty of expansion pads left open and VB needs relief.

I'm honestly miffed that a second Water Park isn't already in the works for 2023 or 24. They're just adding more hotel rooms and VB ain't getting any bigger any time soon seemingly

Reactions: Happytycho
I'm honestly miffed that a second Water Park isn't already in the works for 2023 or 24. They're just adding more hotel rooms and VB ain't getting any bigger any time soon seemingly
I honestly think they are having to get creative with the land layout, due to continuing environmental factors relating to the prior use of the land. Where they may one day build a water park, may still need significant clean up before deemed entirely safe. This is likely why the theme park is being built far to the west side of the plot. Maybe one day, when the land is ready, they can add a water park to the right of the parking lot. But it's not ready yet.

Reactions: JoeCamel
Honestly, an indoor waterpark wouldn't be a bad idea in Orlando. Yes, it's a hot climate (most of the year) but sometimes unbearably hot, and sometimes too cold, and sometimes just bad weather. A huge, indoor waterpark could be a great addition and a top tier destination.

Or maybe they could do one of those indoor ski parks instead of a second water park. That's probably getting a little too "blue sky" and specific, but I think there's potential that they may not simply follow the same pattern that Disney has or just building more of the same of what they already have. I feel like most people simply choose one of the waterparks, but if they offered a greater variety of experiences guests may feel like they need to spend more time at the resort to do it all.

Honestly, an indoor waterpark wouldn't be a bad idea in Orlando. Yes, it's a hot climate (most of the year) but sometimes unbearably hot, and sometimes too cold, and sometimes just bad weather. A huge, indoor waterpark could be a great addition and a top tier destination.

I would agree BUT the amount of people I know who want to be outside in orlando is crazy. I went to TS with friends and they skipped sitting inside to sit outside since it was warm weather and they’re from Ohio. I think an indoor water park would have the “I want to be outside” factor.

Something keep in mind is that another theme park would probably be 15-20 years from now. With the way things are going we'll probably see less need for the idea of a large parking lot or garage as more and more people give up owning cars (let alone renting them on vacation). With the reduced need for parking areas more space opens up for development. Even on the existing property you could theoretically add more things with the demise of so much dedicated parking space.

So technically main campus parking garage could convert to a 4th park before the new area?

I would agree BUT the amount of people I know who want to be outside in orlando is crazy. I went to TS with friends and they skipped sitting inside to sit outside since it was warm weather and they’re from Ohio. I think an indoor water park would have the “I want to be outside” factor.

A retractable dome roof would make it so it can be open during good weather and and bad weather as well.

Yes. Tourists can do the inside stuff in their home areas. When we go to Florida we want to enjoy the outdoors. Seems like most of us tourists are tanned and the native Floridians have white pasty looks ;):lol:

A year round indoor waterpark could work well. Not only for when it's too cold outside but also when it's too hot outside for those who are not accustom as well as people that don't want to spend so much time in the sun.

The existing parking garages aren't really well suited for a themepark. But the need for parking isn't going to completely go away anytime soon anyway. The transportation hub is also on that land too, which is kind of a mess. Has there been talk about fixing that up before adding another campus to the loop?

Seems like most of us tourists are tanned and the native Floridians have white pasty looks ;):lol:
As a local I can confirm being outside and sweating like crazy gets old real fast. Theme parks are really the only thing I spend a substantial amount of time outdoors for and then I try to spend most of my theme park time in the off season when it's not busy and the weather is nicer. Summer is indoor time as much as possible!
A year round indoor waterpark could work well. Not only for when it's too cold outside but also when it's too hot outside for those who are not accustom as well as people that don't want to spend so much time in the sun.
And also would help almost every single day in the summer when the thunderstorms come through and close the water parks for a few hours.

As a local I can confirm being outside and sweating like crazy gets old real fast. Theme parks are really the only thing I spend a substantial amount of time outdoors for and then I try to spend most of my theme park time in the off season when it's not busy and the weather is nicer. Summer is indoor time as much as possible!

And also would help almost every single day in the summer when the thunderstorms come through and close the water parks for a few hours.
Yep. Just about all of my Floridian relatives (a couple hundred) and a splattering of friends, seem to spend nearly all of their time indoors in air conditioning, even the ones with barely used outdoor pools. :lol:.

Reactions: s8film40
I think that Great Wolf Lodge is prevalent enough in all parts of the country that there really isn't much demand for long distance travel to Orlando for a similar experience.

The core of Great Wolf Lodge's business model is short weekend getaways for people who live in the relative vicinity - nobody is flying across the county to visit one (or something comparable) when the same outcome can be achieved with only a few hours drive.

Perhaps Universal could make some improvements on theming over what GWL does, but the practical constraints of being indoors (floor space, height, etc.) will prevent them from having anything near the grand scale or large, thrilling rides that Volcano Bay has. Because of this, I think that Universal trying to build an indoor waterpark would be a massive mistake.

I think there could be a case for including a small indoor waterpark (activity pool, short lazy river, a few slides) in the next big family-oriented value resort, along with a normal outdoor area. That would allow them get in on GWL's business a little bit while providing additional and more consistent entertainment options for families who won't be spending as much time in the theme parks.

Reactions: truejonas
I think that Great Wolf Lodge is prevalent enough in all parts of the country that there really isn't much demand for long distance travel to Orlando for a similar experience.

The core of Great Wolf Lodge's business model is short weekend getaways for people who live in the relative vicinity - nobody is flying across the county to visit one (or something comparable) when the same outcome can be achieved with only a few hours drive.

Perhaps Universal could make some improvements on theming over what GWL does, but the practical constraints of being indoors (floor space, height, etc.) will prevent them from having anything near the grand scale or large, thrilling rides that Volcano Bay has. Because of this, I think that Universal trying to build an indoor waterpark would be a massive mistake.

I think there could be a case for including a small indoor waterpark (activity pool, short lazy river, a few slides) in the next big family-oriented value resort, along with a normal outdoor area. That would allow them get in on GWL's business a little bit while providing additional and more consistent entertainment options for families who won't be spending as much time in the theme parks.

Indoor water parks are not limited to high thrill rides at all...the only things that would not be able to go inside are the drop slides at the top of the volcano due to height restrictions but everything else has been done indoors before and some indoor waterparks the scale and the thrills of the ride would but VB to shame.

Indoor water parks are not limited to high thrill rides at all...the only things that would not be able to go inside are the drop slides at the top of the volcano due to height restrictions but everything else has been done indoors before and some indoor waterparks the scale and the thrills of the ride would but VB to shame.

Having grown up going to the Wisconsin Dells, I can confirm, Wilderness Resort has just about everything and more (they do have three indoor waterparks and two outdoor, to be fair). Universal could do it, it's just a matter of whether they should.

Reactions: Magic-Man
Status
Not open for further replies.