SeaWorld San Diego | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld San Diego

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
"Worry no more, as we will discuss in this update, Journey to Atlantis will be completely re-tracked and some of its original effects will be brought back!"

Some hehe

I'm a little stunned that SeaWorld is actually doing this and getting Tidal Twister.

I wonder if they finally get down to the debate on TT on whether or not it's a coaster, and they say yes... could this mean two new credits at SWSD next year?! May be time for another visit!

From SeaWorld news,

Behind The Thrills is hearing also, that SWSD is possibly planning to bring an expanded presence of Sesame Street to the californian park.

Behind The Thrills | Construction starts on Tidal Twister, plus is a show leaving SeaWorld San Diego?

It would be nice in the future to have a clone of that Sesame Street dark ride that Port Adventura is getting, but I’m not gonna hold my breath.

Nice to see another credit will be added to the park. Hopefully the ‘21 addition will be another coaster.

From SeaWorld news,

Behind The Thrills is hearing also, that SWSD is possibly planning to bring an expanded presence of Sesame Street to the californian park.

Behind The Thrills | Construction starts on Tidal Twister, plus is a show leaving SeaWorld San Diego?

This would be a seriously good move! A fully-realized Sesame Street at Seaworld SD would bring them higher attendance and revenue for sure.

That's what people want. Highly themed lands and attractions. SW can pull this off without spending Disneyversal money.

Reactions: chris.g
I think they'll wait and see if it does anything for SWO first before they go and redo the Sesame area they already have. Orlando is the only park without one right now.

If this is true, it seems to finally kill the rumor of SFMM ever getting a dive machine. Not that I really wanted one there anyway, but many seemed to think it was coming.

Reactions: chris.g
To bring this up...SeaWorld will be also aiming to be having the first in-park Drone show in the industry.

p358.png

Exclusive: B&M Dive Coaster "Mako" coming to SeaWorld San Diego in 2020

Let THAT sink in..

If this is true, it seems to finally kill the rumor of SFMM ever getting a dive machine. Not that I really wanted one there anyway, but many seemed to think it was coming.
Not necessarily . Mako will only be 153 tall. SFMM could still try for a higher record, and likely the only other park on the west coast to build a Dive Machine.

Given that Knott's also has a dive coaster, and that the marketing for this will hit the entire SoCal market, SFMM would really be shooting themselves in the foot if they added one, even if it were a record breaker. It would just seem very redundant from a marketing point of view.

Given that Knott's also has a dive coaster, and that the marketing for this will hit the entire SoCal market, SFMM would really be shooting themselves in the foot if they added one, even if it were a record breaker. It would just seem very redundant from a marketing point of view.

Also considering that B&M seems to be the gold standard when it comes to dive machines and SFMM is no longer willing to shell out that kind of money anymore.

Question: I read that they are upgrading their parking lot entrance, as well as their main entrance.

Does this mean that they will get rid of their current "blue wave" entrance? I love that entrance!

Wave-entrance.jpg

img_1963.jpg

What is being propsed if I'm not mistaken, is for the upgraded security checks.

Phew! Good to know the unique entrance gate will be saved & that the security check point will be plussed.

Yeah looks like it from the concept piece. It looks like they are placing a large sign on top of the current wooden security checks.

@SOCAL110 I was worried about this at first as well. The blue wave is one of the coolest park entrances around.

Yea, it is my favorite entrance out of the 3 main Seaworld parks.

Seaworld San Antonio
21935.jpg

Seaworld Orlando
IMG_4052.jpg

IMG_1049.JPG

SW San Diego
Wave-entrance.jpg

a38fdf28cccb7d4c69350d0d33090cf9.jpg

Reactions: Mad Dog
Also considering that B&M seems to be the gold standard when it comes to dive machines and SFMM is no longer willing to shell out that kind of money anymore.
Just because SF hasn't been buying B&M's doesn't mean they won't in the future. There have been several changes in the controlling interest in the company which has been resulting in some (much needed) changes in direction. Look for increased budgets for maintenance and for CapEx in the coming years.

SeaWorld SD and SFMM really don't draw from the same market (except for park fans/enthusiasts). Even with Mako, SFMM could add a bigger, better B&M dive coaster and market it. SeaWorld is really concentrating on their local market and so is SFMM. They are not "destination parks" for 99% of the public.

Just because SF hasn't been buying B&M's doesn't mean they won't in the future. There have been several changes in the controlling interest in the company which has been resulting in some (much needed) changes in direction. Look for increased budgets for maintenance and for CapEx in the coming years.

SeaWorld SD and SFMM really don't draw from the same market (except for park fans/enthusiasts). Even with Mako, SFMM could add a bigger, better B&M dive coaster and market it. SeaWorld is really concentrating on their local market and so is SFMM. They are not "destination parks" for 99% of the public.

Of course it's possible, but not probable IMO. I could see SFMM adding a T-Rex before adding a dive machine.

Also, Magic Mountain is trying to change their status of a "regional park" into becoming a destination park. It's why they changed to a 365 operating schedule and plussing the park as much as possible.

They are currently #16 top park in North America, but they will soon surpass Cedar Point in attendance & take the crown from them. Interesting times indeed.

^ If that's the case, they should start by trying to run more than one train operation on their coasters for 365 days in a row. If they can do that maybe we can start thinking about a big boy B&M or Intamin. Baby steps... SFMM hasn't been good in like 15 years lol.

Also, Magic Mountain is trying to change their status of a "regional park" into becoming a destination park. It's why they changed to a 365 operating schedule and plussing the park as much as possible.

They are currently #16 top park in North America, but they will soon surpass Cedar Point in attendance & take the crown from them. Interesting times indeed.

But they are doing that with most of their parks. SFFT and SFM are both going to year round schedules when they used to be seasonal. This is just Six Flags trying to make more money by growing their seasons, not trying to compete with Disney/Universal as destination parks. Just trying to keep the money flowing all year long. The company has always had problems with the "off season" and their finances dropping off for 3-6 months each year. This (along with the membership programs) has really just been a way to even cash flow over the whole year and help increase revenue. That's why they've rolled out Holiday in the Park to almost every park at this point. It's not an ambition to go head to head with the big parks but to grow the existing regional business.

Really SeaWorld and Six Flags are both doing similar things to grow their business right now which is one of the reasons why the rumors of a merger or sale seem to make (some) sense to investors. Both companies are looking to draw locals for multiple visits each year with aggressive CapEx spending and value pricing on annual passes. SeaWorld has ramped up their spending on new rides for all their parks realizing that new stuff is a lure to get people in, then the value pricing of passes keeps them coming back and spending more money. I know Six Flags management has realized they needed to up their spending (the parks are really starting to look run down), and that the $7 million a year per park CapEx will not grow the business and needs to be peppered with larger investments (especially for the bigger parks like SFMM, SFGAdv, SFGAm, SFOT).

SFMM will always get a little more than the other parks because while it is a regional park it has BIG competition with DL, USH, and Knott's. DL and USH are parks people travel from all over the country (the the world) to visit, but all those parks compete for the day visitors from the millions of SoCal residents as well. On top of that, the fact that SFMM is often rented out by celebs and used for filming of TV/Movies/Commercials means they have an extra revenue stream to help make new investments pay for themselves.