Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

Or, maybe, TPU has no idea what they’re talking about. From their insistence it was Pokémon despite most going “eh maybe?” to taking a risk on the info. Now they’re playing the “it’s cancelled” card just like others did about Star Trek replacing KidZone.

How can one cancel something that they might have never knew anything about?
No. it's cancelled. a website said so

I think Nintendo in USF may be pushed back to focus on the new park (sad), but I also wouldn't be surprised if the ended up putting DreamWorks in there instead of the new park. Pokémon/Zelda in USF would help space it out the IPs though, so that's where my money is at.

I'd say turn it into Super Silly Funland, but with Minion Mayhem so far away, some of the impact of a themed area would get lost. Unless ET and Minion Mayhem switch. I would be happy with this.

I think Nintendo in USF may be pushed back to focus on the new park (sad), but I also wouldn't be surprised if the ended up putting DreamWorks in there instead of the new park. Pokémon/Zelda in USF would help space it out the IPs though, so that's where my money is at.

I'd say turn it into Super Silly Funland, but with Minion Mayhem so far away, some of the impact of a themed area would get lost. Unless ET and Minion Mayhem switch. I would be happy with this.

DreamWorks can be in two parks.

DreamWorks can be in two parks.

True. DreamWorks hasn't skipped leg day.

If DreamWorks comes to USF, I don’t expect it to be anything more than the DW Theater from USH replacing Shrek

That's fair. I know there was discussion on here about Barney getting retooled to a Trolls sing-a-long instead, which keeps me in the headspace of KidZone going that way.

I never thought much of the Pokemon Kidzone rumor. And I've always thought LC redo was fairly far in the future since Universal has so much current IOA work on their plate (Potter & JP coasters). Realistically, there's only so much they'll redo in one park in a short time span, for a good number of business and park operation reasons. And when I took that survey in Kidzone while on vacation in early December, it basically indicated to me that Universal was still undecided about Kidzone, and examining what direction they would go in. Perhaps, they'll still make a change or two back there. I'm watching for more signals.

The number one thing that could be holding Pokémon back in my mind is Japan. It’s just as likely to go there as here and they haven’t even opened Mario yet.

After all 3 Mario lands are open and we’re ready for expansion I could see Japan starting to build Pokémon and UOR getting Zelda. Then sometime after we also get Pokémon.

If you asked a focus group to pick Pokémon, Zelda, or Mario, Mario would be the winner. Willing to bet more people have played a Mario game in one form or another, versus the other two, as well.

All three are great franchises, and can work in a park setting, but Mario is most marketable. I’d rather see Mario come to USF than a new park, but it’s understandable why it would be held back for the next park.

I don’t think Pokémon and Zelda ever had a fair shot at happening before Mario. That was a rumor that people took and ran with. Universal has more franchises than they know what to do with now (Illumination: Sing show at USJ, SLoP at USH, plus all the Dreamworks Animation franchises), so I can’t imagine them prioritizing Nintendo’s other IP first.

That said, KidZone refuses to die. Here’s hoping that Sesame Street at SWO lights a fire under Creative’s butts to change it for the better.

If you asked a focus group to pick Pokémon, Zelda, or Mario, Mario would be the winner. Willing to bet more people have played a Mario game in one form or another, versus the other two, as well.

All three are great franchises, and can work in a park setting, but Mario is most marketable. I’d rather see Mario come to USF than a new park, but it’s understandable why it would be held back for the next park.

I don’t think Pokémon and Zelda ever had a fair shot at happening before Mario. That was a rumor that people took and ran with. Universal has more franchises than they know what to do with now (Illumination: Sing show at USJ, SLoP at USH, plus all the Dreamworks Animation franchises), so I can’t imagine them prioritizing Nintendo’s other IP first.

That said, KidZone refuses to die. Here’s hoping that Sesame Street at SWO lights a fire under Creative’s butts to change it for the better.

I mean, Pokemon is easily bigger than anything from DreamWorks or Illumination outside of maybe the Minions. They would prioritize it because it would simply just make them more money

I mean, Pokemon is easily bigger than anything from DreamWorks or Illumination outside of maybe the Minions. They would prioritize it because it would simply just make them more money

Ah, money, the ultimate deciding factor.

I do think Pokémon has enough of a history to show it's not going anywhere. Eventually they'll stop making DM/Minions movies, and then they'll have a stale area of the park. Pokémon can be rethemed and updated to later generations as needed and still be perfectly relevant.

Ah, money, the ultimate deciding factor.

I do think Pokémon has enough of a history to show it's not going anywhere. Eventually they'll stop making DM/Minions movies, and then they'll have a stale area of the park. Pokémon can be rethemed and updated to later generations as needed and still be perfectly relevant.

Pokemon is going to happen eventually. This isn't based on any definite info, just the fact that there's far too much money on the table for everyone involved for it not to.

Zelda I can sort of get (even though BOTW sold 10 million copies and counting), but Pokemon? Really?

Agreed. I may never have gotten into Zelda, but even people who never spent their weekly on allowance on Pokémon cards (like I did) or play the games (like I did) or watch the TV show (I'm a geek) still know enough basics to enjoy the world. Heck, I know people who love WWoHP, and they know the bare minimum.

If you can theme it, they will come.

Zelda I can sort of get (even though BOTW sold 10 million copies and counting), but Pokemon? Really?

Current success doesn't necessarily indicate if something will be successful or not. BatB land in TDL, for example, is anticipated. New Fantasyland w/ Little mermaid, The original incarnation fo 7D, etc all were highly anticipated (yet subsequently underwhelming). How much has Tron been on our minds? Even short-term success blips like Avatar have proven successful for Disney.

Zelda is not without nostalgia. I'd argue more people could hum the legend of Zelda opening theme song than all the other Zelda songs combined. Execution could make Zelda better than Mario or Pokemon. Unlikely, of course, but possible. In summary, if they wanted to make it successful w/ lasting appeal, it wouldn't be hard.

Current success doesn't necessarily indicate if something will be successful or not. BatB land in TDL, for example, is anticipated. New Fantasyland w/ Little mermaid, The original incarnation fo 7D, etc all were highly anticipated (yet subsequently underwhelming). How much has Tron been on our minds? Even short-term success blips like Avatar have proven successful for Disney.

Zelda is not without nostalgia. I'd argue more people could hum the legend of Zelda opening theme song than all the other Zelda songs combined. Execution could make Zelda better than Mario or Pokemon. Unlikely, of course, but possible. In summary, if they wanted to make it successful w/ lasting appeal, it wouldn't be hard.

This applies to just about anything, not just Nintendo. It's cool if something is a smash hit now, but once the heat dies down, will it still stand up and be worth our time? (Looking at you, Frozen Ever After.)