Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 551 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Zelda is Nintendo’s third biggest franchise. It also taps directly into Universal’s biggest demographic.

It’s more likely than anything else they have other than Mario and Pokémon to appear at Universal.

Catching up a bit so forgive me.

It sounds more like walking back a bad rumor from the get go to save face. (The rumor was always bad)
What rumor, Pokemon?

Or, maybe, TPU has no idea what they’re talking about. From their insistence it was Pokémon despite most going “eh maybe?” to taking a risk on the info. Now they’re playing the “it’s cancelled” card just like others did about Star Trek replacing KidZone.

How can one cancel something that they might have never knew anything about?

I don't know Josh, never have met him, nor do I follow his stuff...but I will say this, the Pokemon stuff is/was legit (as in plans for a GO). Not sure who talked about it first, but I know we've stated many details about the proposed project that has never been mentioned elsewhere.

That brings me up to the next thing, proposed. I get it...it's not officially announced or commonly known through the workers at the resort...but people can work on things for months to only have the project get yanked. I've said it plenty of times, others have said it plenty of times before...plans change. Case in point: Cheetah Hunt had over 50 proposed layouts. 50. Heart line roll through the canyon, corkscrew over the Sky Ride, etc. Imagine the amount of time it would take to make those layouts and to only have 1 chosen...and it happens ALL. THE. TIME. If you would like proof, go check out wall by the elevator. You can see the proposed heart line displayed on the wall and B&M was the original manufacturer.

Lol at blaming F&F.

Come on. More likely these things were never as set as he wanted you to believe, and he’s coming up for a convenient excuse in why he was wrong.

Edit:
Also, saying “Zelda isn’t in the plan for the next 4 years”...has always been true? Hell even he said that LC wouldn’t be changed any time soon.

Either 1) He and others (including me) were wrong about Pokemon coming to KidZone 2) he’s wrong now or 3) Universal is brain dead and doesn’t know why F&F is unpopular.

I give Uni management a lot of flack, but even I think situation 3 is ridiculous. Uni knows exactly why Supercharged is a flop, and it’s not because of the franchise it’s themed after.

If KidZone isn’t becoming Pokemon, the most likely explanation is that plan was never given the go ahead some of us thought it was, and Uni probably hasn’t secured the overall rights to the property yet.

I stand 100% behind my claims of Pokemon being something that is/was something that was planned and not saying this directly to you, I know what my eyes have seen and don't really care what anyone else says otherwise.

Hundred of pages. Literally dozens of books / plans / concept art images have been worked on for this project. Countless hours spent in CAD and rendering software. Now does all of this happen before official rights are secured? You bet! Can it still get canned and all of that time / money wasted? You bet!

KZ has had a bunch of proposed ideas for the land and I'm sure a lot of the planning portion of it can be "cookie cutter" as far as IPs. Swap one in, swap one out.

As far as Zelda....I know pretty much ZIP about that project lol.

Mario is certainly going into the new park. Leaked documents are pretty clear about that. If it was going into KidZone it woulda started construction last year like the permits said.

Unlike the original Mario SNW rumors going into KidZone, we never saw any permits for Pokemon going into KidZone, so I don't think the trigger was ever pulled to get it going, or at least not as much as that original SNW plan.

Sounds to me like they were thinking about Pokemon and Zelda, maybe even drew up some preliminary concept plans to see how it could work for Pokemon, but never fully decided to actually do it.

Another year, another canceled concept for KidZone. The area will outlive us all.

I promise you, plenty of time and money has gone into Pokemon planning / development. Enough that you probably would be thinking they had it lined up as a "just in case." I agree though...we're going to die of old age before this happens, or at least it feels like that.

I never thought much of the Pokemon Kidzone rumor. And I've always thought LC redo was fairly far in the future since Universal has so much current IOA work on their plate (Potter & JP coasters). Realistically, there's only so much they'll redo in one park in a short time span, for a good number of business and park operation reasons. And when I took that survey in Kidzone while on vacation in early December, it basically indicated to me that Universal was still undecided about Kidzone, and examining what direction they would go in. Perhaps, they'll still make a change or two back there. I'm watching for more signals.

I think the surveys got them spooked a bit IMO. Trust me, I'm waiting patiently and actively searching for more signals!

If you asked a focus group to pick Pokémon, Zelda, or Mario, Mario would be the winner. Willing to bet more people have played a Mario game in one form or another, versus the other two, as well.

All three are great franchises, and can work in a park setting, but Mario is most marketable. I’d rather see Mario come to USF than a new park, but it’s understandable why it would be held back for the next park.

I don’t think Pokémon and Zelda ever had a fair shot at happening before Mario. That was a rumor that people took and ran with. Universal has more franchises than they know what to do with now (Illumination: Sing show at USJ, SLoP at USH, plus all the Dreamworks Animation franchises), so I can’t imagine them prioritizing Nintendo’s other IP first.

That said, KidZone refuses to die. Here’s hoping that Sesame Street at SWO lights a fire under Creative’s butts to change it for the better.

As others might have said and I agree with, the acquisition of the land for the new park really shifted things. I actually think it might have hurt the creative teams after they worked so hard on doing something for KZ, have it axed, have a new proposed project, have that axed, have another new project (Pokemon), and to have that up in limbo would drive me nuts.

I personally think Sesame Street is going to open a lot of eyes and will get some gears turning for other parks.

With TPU walking back these two predictions (Pokemon & Zelda) of theirs, that gives even less credence to their prediction of a Fall opening for the Potter coaster. ...I'm not much of a fan of TPU predictions anyway.

Cliche saying this...but I will 100% take it to the grave that Pokemon is/was in the plans of studios. Again, I don't know the guy...but I wouldn't call it walking back. Plans change. Do I think they have for Pokemon IMO? No. I do feel there was a missed opportunity when it came to having something that could "compete" against Sesame however.

When you run pages with a lot of rumors being apart of your main substance for content, you're going to get a lot of crazy things through your e-mail from time to time. Some of it true, some not true. Look at Screamscape for example. I've been following / contributing to that thing for 15+ years and back in the old days...it was a 50 / 50 chance that the info being put out was right. Now I'd say it's about 90-95% accurate as to what's going on. Lance has gotten literally thousands of things wrong in the past and will continue to do so in the future....but the things he does get right, oh baby! Best part is, he and Screamscape are still highly rated as credible.

Pokemon is going to happen eventually. This isn't based on any definite info, just the fact that there's far too much money on the table for everyone involved for it not to.

^This.

And just in case I didn't say it enough....plans change. Plans change. Plans change. Plans change. Plans change. Plans change. Oh hey, guess what guys?!

Plans change.

#notbacktrackingjuststatingfacts

Hundred of pages. Literally dozens of books / plans / concept art images have been worked on for this project. Countless hours spent in CAD and rendering software. Now does all of this happen before official rights are secured? You bet! Can it still get canned and all of that time / money wasted? You bet!

I promise you, plenty of time and money has gone into Pokemon planning / development. Enough that you probably would be thinking they had it lined up as a "just in case." I agree though...we're going to die of old age before this happens, or at least it feels like that.

Plans change.

#notbacktrackingjuststatingfacts
Sounds like exactly what happened to me with the SNW plans last year. There was hundreds of pages of plans for that too, and yet it was scrapped for the new park at the last minute.

For whatever reason they may have pulled the plug on Pokémon for KidZone too. Maybe just temporarily until later. Maybe for a different location. Maybe it’ll never happen.

Whatever the reason, seems like KidZone is cursed.

Sounds like exactly what happened to me with the SNW plans last year. There was hundreds of pages of plans for that too, and yet it was scrapped for the new park at the last minute.

For whatever reason they may have pulled the plug on Pokémon for KidZone too. Maybe just temporarily until later. Maybe for a different location. Maybe it’ll never happen.

Whatever the reason, seems like KidZone is cursed.
Heh, how about a future darkride for KidZone...."The Curse of Kid Zone" ....travel through blue Smurf land haunts composed of characters Mario, Donkey Kong, Hello Kitty,and Pokemon lurking beyond every corner.....and...at the end....riders and the entire ride mysteriously disappears :jawdrop:behind a Platform 9 3/4 mirror effect ...or transported to a Star Trek Star Ship....;) :lol:

Heh, how about a future darkride for KidZone...."The Curse of Kid Zone" ....travel through blue Smurf land haunts composed of characters Mario, Donkey Kong, Hello Kitty,and Pokemon lurking beyond every corner.....and...at the end....riders and the entire ride mysteriously disappears :jawdrop:behind a Platform 9 3/4 mirror effect ...or transported to a Star Trek Star Ship....;) :lol:

Scary thing is...you might be giving them ideas. :what:

I understand many posters have moved on to Stage 2 of grief, which is anger.

Attacking TPU & Josh is a natural and predictable response. But the dude seems like he has good sources. I believe he was the 1st one to state publicly that SNW was not going to Kid Zone and moving to the new park. Even @Alicia was skeptical of his claim at first and for a long time, until she finally accepted it.

I'm just saying he appears to be more right than wrong. Also, he's saying that Universal got cold feet about Universal investing so much capital for 3 separate projects at once. They decided to do the Wizarding World approach, have one IP land be successful before you move on to the next one.

Eventually you guys will get to acceptance.

Attacking TPU & Josh is a natural and predictable response. But the dude seems like he has good sources. I believe he was the 1st one to state publicly that SNW was not going to Kid Zone and moving to the new park. Even @Alicia was skeptical of his claim at first and for a long time, until she finally accepted it.

I'm just saying he appears to be more right than wrong. Also, he's saying that Universal got cold feet about Universal investing so much capital for 3 separate projects at once. They decided to do the Wizarding World approach, have one IP land be successful before you move on to the next one.

I completely agree with you @SOCAL110 those directing their anger at Josh and TPU are misplaced in their anger.

The true contributor to their frustrations is UOPR brass who are playin it skiddish.

I’m upset at the whole stealing of wealth, take from peter to pay Paul attitude(I’ve stated many times).

Maybe this is a master plan by corporate to make the original parks the flagship again with both USH and Disneyland starting to lap their brethren USF and magic Kingdom in additions to regain the honor but...

Blaming TPU/ Josh for false reporting is just a reach of grief.

It’s one thing if a source says it is from an insider but when multiple sources say multiple insiders have said it, well, means it was a realistic outcome.

Pokémon to Kidzone was reported by many, Zelda not really more spec and hopes, but Pokémon seemed real.

TPU reported and was thrown under the bus.

Not Josh's fault but more the UO brass and it’s cold feet/cowardess stance.

Comcast has the money and is willing but the execs of UOPR are to scared to make any moves with a new park on the horizon.

As I’ve said before UO execs are just trading new additions to the parks for a whole new park.

And as I’ve said before pulling additions for the new park is not an addition at all but just a sad swap.

UOPR is making me sad and frustrated, I’m all for a new park but not at the neglect of the original parks.

I completely agree with you @SOCAL110 those directing their anger at Josh and TPU are misplaced in their anger.

The true contributor to their frustrations is UOPR brass who are playin it skiddish.

I’m upset at the whole stealing of wealth, take from peter to pay Paul attitude(I’ve stated many times).

Maybe this is a master plan by corporate to make the original parks the flagship again with both USH and Disneyland starting to lap their brethren USF and magic Kingdom in additions to regain the honor but...

Blaming TPU/ Josh for false reporting is just a reach of grief.

It’s one thing if a source says it is from an insider but when multiple sources say multiple insiders have said it, well, means it was a realistic outcome.

Pokémon to Kidzone was reported by many, Zelda not really more spec and hopes, but Pokémon seemed real.

TPU reported and was thrown under the bus.

Not Josh's fault but more the UO brass and it’s cold feet/cowardess stance.

Comcast has the money and is willing but the execs of UOPR are to scared to make any moves with a new park on the horizon.

As I’ve said before UO execs are just trading new additions to the parks for a whole new park.

And as I’ve said before pulling additions for the new park is not an addition at all but just a sad swap.

UOPR is making me sad and frustrated, I’m all for a new park but not at the neglect of the original parks.
TPU is not correct until Universal announces something else (other than Pokemon) for Kidzone...I think every theme park fan site should be taken with a grain of salt until official word is given...Everyone remember the House of Horrors -> Transformers rumors?

Wasn’t it always supposed to be separate though? He was the one that made it sound like it was happening sooner than other people thought it would and now he went back on it.

Last edited:
TPU is not correct until Universal announces something else (other than Pokemon) for Kidzone...I think every theme park fan site should be taken with a grain of salt until official word is given...Everyone remember the House of Horrors -> Transformers rumors?
Never said he was correct or not but the hate being issued his way is unwarranted.

Putting faith in a theme park fan site is what we do(as fans) and sometimes backfires but putting faith in the Universal Orlando brass to pull their heads out of their @ss is just wishful thinking.

Looking forward to being proven wrong....

.....prove me wrong I triple dog dare ya....

Reactions: SOCAL110

That’s not how this works.

They’re literally in different stages of building 3 attractions as we speak. A new attraction (bad or not) and a new nightshow opened this year.

The idea that they are neglecting the older parks is ridiculous.

That’s not how this works.

They’re literally in different stages of building 3 attractions as we speak. A new attraction (bad or not) and a new nightshow opened this year.

The idea that they are neglecting the older parks is ridiculous.
3 attractions wait what?

1) Potter coaster
2) T2 replacement
3) ? Jurassic Park Coaster is still merely a rumor

In that same time they close an attraction(bad or not), cancelled/moved a land and have postponed/moved/cancelled multiple attractions.

I will reiterate what I said in another thread the only confirmed and actually under construction “additions” are T2:3D replacement, Potter coaster, and the new hotels(not attraction don’t care how you spin it) which were all released before D23 of 2017 then they crappped there bed, planned, land was purchased, they got scared, then lost, then planned, then scared, now lost again.

I will also reiterate it’s the Orlando brass not Universal in general who are skiddish.

Between now and 2021
Hollywood is getting a reimagined/revamped/upgrade JP to JW, SLOP, and the expansion land for SNW. SLOP and Nintendo may not be confirmed but construction is well well well underway.

UOP are getting Potter Coaster and T2 replacement. Maybe a JP coaster but no construction underway.

3 parks Volcano Bay, IoA, and USF versus 1 park in USH and yet the additional attractions over the next 3 years are equal or favoring the stand alone park, funny no?

I’m rooting for Orlando(Universal) to get its act together and become aggressive but a changing of the guard seems to need to be made first.

PROVE ME WRONG UNIVERSAL ORLANDO, PROVE ME WRONG!

Last edited:
3 attractions wait what?

1) Potter coaster
2) T2 replacement
3) ? Jurassic Park Coaster is still merely a rumor

In that same time they close an attraction(bad or not), cancelled/moved a land and have postponed/moved/cancelled multiple attractions.

If you’re counting JP as a rumor, you have to count “cancelled” lands as rumor as well.

Nothing has been “cancelled”. Nintendo was moved to Park 3. It’s still happening.

I will also reiterate it’s the Orlando brass not Universal in general who are skiddish.

Between now and 2021
Hollywood is getting a reimagined/revamped/upgrade JP to JW, SLOP, and the expansion land for SNW. SLOP and Nintendo may not be confirmed but construction is well well well underway.

UOP are getting Potter Coaster and T2 replacement. Maybe a JP coaster but no construction underway.

3 parks Volcano Bay, IoA, and USF versus 1 park in USH and yet the additional attractions over the next 3 years are equal or favoring the stand alone park, funny no?

I’m rooting for Orlando(Universal) to get its act together and become aggressive but a changing of the guard seems to need to be made first.

PROVE ME WRONG UNIVERSAL ORLANDO, PROVE ME WRONG!

How in the blazes can they be building another park and not be aggressive enough for you? I think you have ridiculous expectations, mate.

Not to mention you have a severe misunderstanding on who sets the expansion budgets for these parks. UOR isn’t sitting there on a pile of money not spending it.

If you’re counting JP as a rumor, you have to count “cancelled” lands as rumor as well.

Nothing has been “cancelled”. Nintendo was moved to Park 3. It’s still happening.

How in the blazes can they be building another park and not be aggressive enough for you? I think you have ridiculous expectations, mate.
New park is technically still a rumor.

And with that it’s a situation where you...

Take from peter to pay Paul.

They cut the budget to place the funds elsewhere.

What are you missing.

So many on this site talk about the neglect Disney did during its new park construction to the original parks and yet we are willing to give Universal a pass.

What? Why?

They are are literally delaying projects(plural) for the new park that we would have gotten at the existing parks.

I have no reason to visit until the new park opens minus the Potter coaster and that’s only if I have spare time and some extra cash to burn in 2020 otherwise my vacations are pretty much planned through 2022 and they do not include Universal Orlando but USH will be 2021.

I’m not trying to start an argument just stating my view. I get that many here see Universal Orlando as there home park as many are based out of Florida but for those who are based farther away we need better reason to visit than “maybe” one new addition a year and a promise of a new park eventually. Even with that why go north if the southern Park will be the only one really having multiple new attractions to enjoy.

I’ll gladly be proven wrong by UO brass.

Reactions: SOCAL110
New park is technically still a rumor.

And with that it’s a situation where you...

Take from peter to pay Paul.

They cut the budget to place the funds elsewhere.

What are you missing.

So many on this site talk about the neglect Disney did during its new park construction to the original parks and yet we are willing to give Universal a pass.

What? Why?

They are are literally delaying projects(plural) for the new park that we would have gotten at the existing parks.

I have no reason to visit until the new park opens minus the Potter coaster and that’s only if I have spare time and some extra cash to burn in 2020 otherwise my vacations are pretty much planned through 2022 and they do not include Universal Orlando but USH will be 2021.

I’m not trying to start an argument just stating my view. I get that many here see Universal Orlando as there home park as many are based out of Florida but for those who are based farther away we need better reason to visit than “maybe” one new addition a year and a promise of a new park eventually. Even with that why go north if the southern Park will be the only one really having multiple new attractions to enjoy.

I’ll gladly be proven wrong by UO brass.

Except it’s not “robbing Peter to pay Paul”. Either the funds for those projects get moved to Park 3 or Park 3 opens in a lackluster state. Comcast made the decision to open Park 3 in the best state it could be. To them the same amount of funds are going to UOR.

As for needing more than one attraction every year to visit, I think that’s having way too high of expectations. Better to just take off a few years and come back when 3-4 new things are there