Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

How do grand openings like these work for Disney? Do people set up tents and what not at the entrance and camp out overnight and what not. How do they handle the crowds because theres a legit chance I could be in California for the grand opening and would easily camp outside the night of to be one of the first guests in the land.

Are these actual employees? They look like actors. They don’t seem to be “doing” anything.

In my experience with theatre, when photographers come take photos during our tech, they always ask the technicians to strike "action" poses that don't make any sense with the equipment they're using, but supposedly it "looks better". I'm sure those are employees who are fully aware how dumb those poses are. :lol:

How do grand openings like these work for Disney? Do people set up tents and what not at the entrance and camp out overnight and what not. How do they handle the crowds because theres a legit chance I could be in California for the grand opening and would easily camp outside the night of to be one of the first guests in the land.
There would most likely be a big campout in the esplanade for opening day.

I always feel for the uninformed tourist that shows up to a park on a grand opening he had no idea about.

I remember being in Orlando when Potter opened and seeding the massive line that stretched out to City Place. I would be so pissed if that was when I had accidentally booked my trip.

Some "Guess Estimates" for opening day crowd levels from Cinema Blend. *Touring Plans; 150,000 guests...*Bill Zanelli , Theme Park design consultant; 200,00 guests...........Opening day lines 6 to 8 hours.....Disneyland park Capacity: 75,000 to 80,000..............Just throwing some industry crowd size estimates out there

Some "Guess Estimates" for opening day crowd levels from Cinema Blend. *Touring Plans; 150,000 guests...*Bill Zanelli , Theme Park design consultant; 200,00 guests...........Opening day lines 6 to 8 hours.....Disneyland park Capacity: 75,000 to 80,000..............Just throwing some industry crowd size estimates out there
maybe im naive but im not buying it
im thinking no more than 100000

I would imagine Disney would want crazy estimates to both keep the hype up and discourage some people from coming early as capacity is limited. I also think in the lost potpotter world people may better understand just how bad of an experience opening days can be and how crowded they can get.

Mickey and friends has supported 2 parks with 10,000 spaces for 20 years. You don't think an additional 6,500 spaces is enough to support one new land? It'll be fine.

I was referring to the estimates of 100k to 200k people showing up on opening day. My bet parking becomes full.

I was referring to the estimates of 100k to 200k people showing up on opening day. My bet parking becomes full.
1.) Those numbers were pulled out of someone’s ass.
2.) DL has an abundance of Surface parking
3.) It’s not like this will be the first time in modern times that DL gets hit with huge crowds (24 hour day 2012 was a disaster, but they survived parking-wise).

Debatable. Disneyland Resort parking fills to capacity all the time.

Not true. The Mickey and Friends parking structure fills to capacity all the time. But they have the Toy Story, Pumba, GardenWalk, and overflow Downtown Disney lots which hold up just fine. They also have access to Angel Stadium as long as there isn't a major event happening. I've yet to see a day where they had to use every single lot they have access to.

Putting my money on June 21st for the official grand opening date. Expect to see paid events, cast member rehearsals, and annual pass previews for Signature/Signature Plus in late May/early June. It’s going to be interesting to see how this summer plays out at the Disneyland Resort, as something like this hasn’t really ever been seen before.

There won't be AP previews. Paid AP "early access" (the week before or so), yes. Been a DL AP for 20 years. They stopped doing AP previews when Cars Land hit. Didn't do one for Guardians or anything on Pixar Pier. But they did do a $100 upcharge preview night for Guardians. And a $200 upcharge preview night for (half) of Pixar Pier.