Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've talked a lot about The Big Picture stuff but I'm wondering what are some small quality of life improvements you'd like to see Universal make in the new park?

The one that immediately comes to me is making sure that the Express line still gets the ride's story set up. I think every time I've ridden Revenge of The Mummy, for instance, has been with Express thus the whole we are visiting the set of a new Mummy movie and Brendan needs coffee set-up is something I've only read about, which makes the ending really bizarre.

I don't want to have to use the long, slow, regular line, when I have Express just so I know what's going on during the ride and there has to be a better way then having you only skip a small portion of the regular line. If every ride at Park 3 could have it's set-up available for regular, single-rider, and express I'd be very happy.

We've talked a lot about The Big Picture stuff but I'm wondering what are some small quality of life improvements you'd like to see Universal make in the new park?

The one that immediately comes to me is making sure that the Express line still gets the ride's story set up. I think every time I've ridden Revenge of The Mummy, for instance, has been with Express thus the whole we are visiting the set of a new Mummy movie and Brendan needs coffee set-up is something I've only read about, which makes the ending really bizarre.

I don't want to have to use the long, slow, regular line, when I have Express just so I know what's going on during the ride and there has to be a better way then having you only skip a small portion of the regular line. If every ride at Park 3 could have it's set-up available for regular, single-rider, and express I'd be very happy.
They did a nice job on the Express Lines for FJ & Gringotts when they inaugurated them last year. F&F though, actually starts the Express too soon, and you get bogged down with the regular line people. Kongs' OK too. You do get to stop & enjoy the main scene with the Witch AA if you want to. You can linger there as long as you feel like it. They also do the radio dispatch so you actually get plenty of story background. And Fallon is pure gold with the pre shows. So the recent Express lines, except for F&F which is too long, are pretty much what I'd hope are in the new park.

This is a good point, though - in fairness - I've never done Revenge of the Mummy with Express and I've still never seen the complete pre-show setup, either! The line just doesn't back up far enough!

Here’s what I’m going to say it just seems weird that Reign Of Kong was made into an attraction from Peter Jackson’s film 05’ then a new movie came out that was supposed to be at Universal but suddenly got moved over to WB. It doesn’t make any sense. That’s why King Kong cannot be featured at Universal anymore that’s what your saying? I think the newer Kong ride lacks space that’s why it isn’t as good as the one in USF. Kong’s old building was massive. They could’ve used that bigger space at the new park. To me yes a person who hasn’t ridden this it was a wasted space Universal put this attraction. Yes I might have liked the ride. But the first Jurassic World first came out before the Kong ride came out. So an attraction would’ve been great. I’m just tired of the 3D and screens. F&F, Jimmy Fallon, Reign Of Kong cannot be the future of Universal attractions. I know Uni can do better. I bought a frommers book and it ranked the new Kong attraction only 3 stars. I haven’t ridden it but that’s a poor rating. I think the lawsuit will hurt Reign of Kong down the road. I called it. 3D glasses and Screens to a good number of Universal fans not all is just not the future of theme park attractions. Can we see more of Escape from Gringotts on a coaster track mixed with 3D that’s fine. But enough with simulator. Universal doesn’t notice fans are getting tired of it.

Last edited:
Here’s what I’m going to say it just seems weird that Reign Of Kong was made into an attraction from Peter Jackson’s film 05’ then a new movie came out that was supposed to be at Universal but suddenly got moved over to WB. It doesn’t make any sense. That’s why King Kong cannot be featured at Universal anymore that’s what your saying? I think the newer Kong ride lacks space that’s why it isn’t as good as the one in USF. Kong’s old building was massive. They could’ve used that bigger space at the new park. To me yes a person who hasn’t ridden this it was a wasted space Universal put this attraction. Yes I might have liked the ride. But the first Jurassic World first came out before the Kong ride came out.
If you believe some folks, using Jackson's Kong was part of a courting of him, so that when the time came, he would be more open to letting Universal use his Lord of the Rings likeness for the new park... If you believe the rumors.

More realistically, Universal loves Universal. They love what they already have access to. They love that King Kong is part of what transformed their Hollywod location from just a backlot tour to a theme park. They love its history with the company. And they love themselves.

Universal didn't make the new movie. They made the 2005 one. It's as simple as that.

If you believe some folks, using Jackson's Kong was part of a courting of him, so that when the time came, he would be more open to letting Universal use his Lord of the Rings likeness for the new park... If you believe the rumors.

More realistically, Universal loves Universal. They love what they already have access to. They love that King Kong is part of what transformed their Hollywod location from just a backlot tour to a theme park. They love its history with the company. And they love themselves.

Universal didn't make the new movie. They made the 2005 one. It's as simple as that.
So your basically saying that officially closes the door for the new Kong at FW? Even if the iconic ape gets more movies in the future? He’ll still be in the spotlight that’s all I’m saying. I guess I’m not making sense.

Let's preface this with this:

• The Legendary Pictures Kong, was not in development as early as Kong for UOR was. In-fact, it wasn't even slated for Islands originally.
  • Kong, was in development for a long period of time for the park, and was rumored to of have some connections with it; because Universal was originally intending to distribute Kong: Skull Island.
  • However, Legendary Pictures took Kong: Skull Island away from Universal being able to distribute, because they decided to invest more with Warner Brothers on making a shared universe with Kong and Godzilla.
  • That move, was in September of 2015. That was, almost a year before Reign of Kong even opened.

Skull Island: Reign of Kong, does share similarities with the 2005 Kong film from Peter Jackson. However, it is not a direct spinoff, of the 2005 film. They used elements from the other materials, specifically the 1933 version, to make it a mixture of the classic and old.

As @Alicia also says, keep in mind that Universal; if given the option, will go with their own catalog. Kong 360, was a huge moment between the Studio and the Hollywood theme park, in a joint collaboration to rebuild a large section of the Universal lot that was destroyed by a California fire (which included, the original Kongfrontation; the one before even Orlando's) in 2008. And Kong 360, was a cutting edge experience when it first opened; for what it tried to achieve.

I have had the ability to experience Kong 360 in Hollywood, on various accounts. And nothing beats it, not even Supercharged. It's the sudden feeling of it that set it apart from everything else from the Backlot tour when it debuted in 2010 (I was even on the first preview day for it).

Reign of Kong, I would argue; is a complete upgrade of the original Kong 360, in various ways.

Skull Island: Reign of Kong, does share similarities with the 2005 Kong film from Peter Jackson. However, it is not a direct spinoff, of the 2005 film. They used elements from the other materials, specifically the 1933 version, to make it a mixture of the classic and old.

As @Alicia also says, keep in mind that Universal; if given the option, will go with their own catalog. Kong 360, was a huge moment between the Studio and the Hollywood theme park, in a joint collaboration to rebuild a large section of the Universal lot that was destroyed by a California fire (which included, the original Kongfrontation; the one before even Orlando's) in 2008. And Kong 360, was a cutting edge experience when it first opened; for what it tried to achieve.

I have had the ability to experience Kong 360 in Hollywood, on various accounts. And nothing beats it, not even Supercharged. It's the sudden feeling of it that set it apart from everything else from the Backlot tour when it debuted in 2010 (I was even on the first preview day for it).
So making more movies around this shared universe means nothing in terms of having more theme park presence with Kong or godzilla down the line once the new park opens? Universal doesn’t have WB & Legendary’s licensing to their property I get it.

• The Legendary Pictures Kong, was not in development as early as Kong for UOR was. In-fact, it wasn't even slated for Islands originally.
  • Kong, was in development for a long period of time for the park, and was rumored to of have some connections with it; because Universal was originally intending to distribute Kong: Skull Island.
  • However, Legendary Pictures took Kong: Skull Island away from Universal being able to distribute, because they decided to invest more with Warner Brothers on making a shared universe with Kong and Godzilla.
  • That move, was in September of 2015. That was, almost a year before Reign of Kong even opened.
I understand all of this all I’m saying is wouldn’t it be weird for them to just leave the newer films alone and not include them as a theme park attraction or mini land?

I believe that getting Jackson involved was part of courting him for LOTT eventually. Not the main reason but a nice perk that they played.

I think the same thing is being done with Netflix and Stranger Things at HHN. Netflix is a bit of a cultural phenomenon and having access to that content is a huge ace up the sleeve for Universal. They’re probably already working on a Birdbox HHN experience.

I understand all of this all I’m saying is wouldn’t it be weird for them to just leave the newer films alone and not include them as a theme park attraction or mini land?

I said this before, and I'll point it as @Alicia did:

Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island (2017), Godzilla: King of The Monsters (2019), and Godzilla Vs. Kong (2020) are not distributed or produced by Universal Pictures.

Legendary Pictures, produced all of these films (and likely will for the films after King of The Monsters & GvK); and Warner Bros. Pictures have continuously distributed all of them (and that's not even going into the legal that is Toho).

I believe that getting Jackson involved was part of courting him for LOTT eventually. Not the main reason but a nice perk that they played.

I think the same thing is being done with Netflix and Stranger Things at HHN. Netflix is a bit of a cultural phenomenon and having access to that content is a huge ace up the sleeve for Universal. They’re probably already working on a Birdbox HHN experience.

I think it's also telling, that NBCUniversal intends to continue creating exclusive content for streaming services like Netflix.

Look at the DWA Fast & Furious show being developed for Netflix as a major example.

I do think most of it will affect HHN going forward, especially with shows like Black Mirror; Hill House and Stranger Things all having elements that'd make them prime candidates for a setting like Horror Nights. Not saying we may see something from DWA's Netflix routes like Voltron and She-Ra potentially pop up in some form for Fantastic/Epic Worlds (albeit in a minor way), but it would make sense in some regards.

I don't think Bird box, but if the next one up, the one about murder as art, has any juice, they'll go with that one, as it seems an easier do.

Reign of Kong, I would argue; is a complete upgrade of the original Kong 360, in various ways.
I can't be sure but I believe Kong was the first time high res (not sure if its 4k or 6l) @ 60fps had ever been tried. It certainly was the first time it was attempted on such a large scale.

I can't be sure but I believe Kong was the first time high res (not sure if its 4k or 6l) @ 60fps had ever been tried. It certainly was the first time it was attempted on such a large scale.

I think it may of been 2K at 60 FPS. Perhaps @Chris can share some incite on that front.

__

..in regards to names, I prefer Fantastic over Epic, but that's just my cup of tea.

Ok I get Kong cannot be used anymore at Universal Orlando Resort and his home is permanant at IOA. I shouldn’t judge a book by its cover to one who hasn’t even ridden the attraction yet who hasn’t even seen IOA as a park yet either, who hasn’t seen Twister at USF until it was torn down...yea I haven’t been to Orlando in awhile but anyways I am just tired of seeing screens and 3D glasses and I know I’m not the only one. Super Nintendo world in my opinion can be successful without any screen usage at all. I know some Universal Fans want the screens to finally be ditched. I can’t accept the fact that it’ll be the future of theme park attractions going forward along with 3D glasses. I know the older attractions at USF that are gone we will never see again made you feel like you were a part of the movie. Again when riding Jaws when a fire broke out you could actually feel the heat of the fire. On a screen of course you couldn’t get that feeling. I just want Universal to tone it down with all this st the fourth gate. Maybe I won’t get my wish but just a suggestion. I know they won’t totally abandon the screens/3D altogether. I think Kong can be used at Universal again as long as he’s under Universal property. Why not bring him back to New York City from the Peter Jackson 05’ film at the fourth gate? Kongfrontation main focus was having Kong in NYC now it has shifted to his actual home. I’m ok with that. But maybe it’s time we switch back. My post is long because I just had a little rant of my frustration of 3D we know this won’t be here in 30 years to come that’s something we can all agree on. By like 2030 screens will be gone and glasses I’m calling it.

My post is long because I just had a little rant of my frustration of 3D we know this won’t be here in 30 years to come that’s something we can all agree on. By like 2030 screens will be gone and glasses I’m calling it.

Yep, I think we all agree with you and it seems like Universal is listening and moving away from screenz for the next few rides. But frustration over screenz is a topic for another thread.

I'm curious what you think will replace screens and glasses going forward. At the moment or even in the forseeable future I don't think anything is better than screens done right for the kinds of dynamic movement of subjects that theme park rides tend to contain.

Others can correct me if I'm wrong but the most dynamic/fast moving animatronic at USF/IOA was Jaws and we all know how many years it took for them to finally get that working correctly. Unless there's been some sort of new tech (the Mario Kart rumored AR looks awesome if that's even still in the plans) that I don't know about I think screens will be on the menu in some fashion or another for the forseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.