Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be nice, and it’s what they did on Kong

Good point. With a good mural it could provide a good sense of depth of the forest beyond the wall.

This has the potential to become an pro and not a con.

I'm pretty sure I've complained about this viewpoint before, but I'll do it again and again and again.

There has been ZERO precedent set for total immersion with literally anything Universal has built. Not once, not ever. Whether it be a little bit of coaster track or a showbuilding, they aren't gonna hide it completely. The concept art showed a mural, so that's most likely what we're getting. If that's a problem for anyone, I advise accepting that and moving on. Otherwise, don't even queue up for the ride. I'll gladly take your spot, unthemed showbuildings and all. :grin:

My only issue with it is that Universal have spent a considerable sum of money building these lands and for a little bit more, they could create a better immersed experience.

Um, inside Diagon Alley?
I personally don't feel that Diagon offers total immersion, especially with the petrified, completely motionless dragon affixed to the roof of Gringotts, the fact that you can see the ride building from that staircase to the left of it, or the exit signs all over the place. Yup, definitely feels like I'm in a theme park.

Also, nobody specifically said they wouldn't ride it. However, the months of 'immersion' conjecture would have me believe this is a BIG deal for a very small subsection of us park fans. If the themeing isn't up to your standards, I'm positive it'd be better to leave it for the people who don't expect too much from a company that only has the money to do so much.

Last edited:
Immersion is broken for me when the train leaves backwards, but whatevs.

You have to be standing at the gates at load on the left half of the train to see any bit of that little bit of triangle corner of building that's visible. You can see it best from near the exit stairs looking back and up, while craning your neck... But I have to believe that most tourists are looking at the magical train and not noticing (or caring) about a white nondescript building that looks to be backstage.

Honestly, I notice the show building for things like The Haunted Mansion more than things like this, or even Forbidden Journey from within Hogsmeade... But I don't care because in reality we need buildings for the rides to exist in and they are not the main focus so I don't mind suspending my disbelief just a little and having a good time. But that's me.

My only issue with it is that Universal have spent a considerable sum of money building these lands and for a little bit more, they could create a better immersed experience.

Here’s the problem: only like .001% of people will find that immersion breaking. Most guests will never notice it. It’s fine if you think it breaks it for you, but I understand why building a raised platform to plant some trees to block it from view isn’t a priority

Lol. What a reach. Then nothing ever in the history of theme parks has been fully immersive. Because... exit signs.

I agreed with your original point completely with the exception of Diagon. Excluding a real dragon, because "immersion = real life", that land is themed perfection encapsulated.
I'll admit it was a purposeful reach, as I think the whole discussion is utterly ridiculous. We're getting probably the most extensively themed ride Universal has attempted, but it seems like it's not enough for some people. We're talking about a sliver of building seen only if you're trying to notice it. It'll get the Skull Island mural treatment for sure, I just don't know what else everyone expects from a company simultaneously building three major attractions and a whole park at the same time.

1) Alicia took photos and told you how she did it and said it's not an issue.
2) I was there last week and without craning my neck I couldn't see it

But no, that can't be IT MUST BE WRONG.
Calm down dude. I'm speaking from personal experience. I'm there quite often myself and FOR ME, it is obvious. Each person is entitled to their opinion. I'm not discounting yours, so respect others opinions. "Aleaka" (I like it) has fantastic insight to the project but you take her opinions as gospel. I know I'm not the only one that doesn't have to go out of their way to see that corner of a building sticking out.

Here’s the problem: only like .001% of people will find that immersion breaking. Most guests will never notice it. It’s fine if you think it breaks it for you, but I understand why building a raised platform to plant some trees to block it from view isn’t a priority

I think plenty of people will notice it but whether they care is a different story, nobody is going to genuinely believe that they’re really at that location unless you’re a child.

For me, I think these hyper realistic lands go into the uncanny valley where a show building becomes a bigger deal the more real the land feels.

Disney never does that, they have so much space to work with that they can make it look perfect.
P1020230.JPG
And I complain there too. I want both to do better. Why do you feel the need to bring up Disney anyway? Do you feel two wrongs make a right?

Sorry for the double post....

Not saying the whole illusion is lost because of the show building poking out, but there are also ways to get around it. I, personally hold no issue to where things are place in relation to each other. I think 99% of the people they visit the WWoHP know that it isn't real and cannot expect 100% accuracy. I say put up a couple of trees and some people here seem to take it personal.

I think plenty of people will notice it but whether they care is a different story, nobody is going to genuinely believe that they’re really at that location unless you’re a child.

For me, I think these hyper realistic lands go into the uncanny valley where a show building becomes a bigger deal the more real the land feels.
This.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the double post....

Not saying the whole illusion is lost because of the show building poking out, but there are also ways to get around it. I, personally hold no issue to where things are place in relation to each other. I think 99% of the people they visit the WWoHP know that it isn't real and cannot expect 100% accuracy. I say put up a couple of trees and some people here seem to take it personal.
Thou shalt not speak ill of Universal doncha know.

For me, I (generally) never see show buildings unless I’m looking for them.

Like I didn’t even notice this one this past weekend

Immersion is broken for me when the train leaves backwards, but whatevs.

I can't figure out where I heard it, but I believe the actual route the real life Hogwarts Express does go backwards on its return journey. Regardless, it's actually not an uncommon thing.

Thou shalt not speak ill of Universal doncha know.

Thou shalt speak ill only of Fastest of the Furious.

EDIT: Something real weird happened with my grammar. Fixed.

I can't figure out where I heard it, but I believe the actual route the real life Hogwarts Express does go backwards on its return journey. Regardless, it's actually not an uncommon thing.

Thou shalt speak ill only of Fastest of the Furious.

EDIT: Something real weird happened with my grammar. Fixed.

Very true, locomotives can go both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.