Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Injury on ET Adventure?

They have the keep hands and feet sign at ET's entrance, with graphic, of course. Always have.

I see, but maybe adding a final reminder at unload might help build a better case against any future lawsuits should this ever happen again.

I think the swaying of the ride vehicle as it came into unload was partially responsible for this situation. Sure, you shouldn't have your feet outside of the ride vehicle, but when an RV came into load without having to pause first it would sway after the turn. Sitting on the left-front side, with your foot out, plus the sway of the ride vehicle as it comes into unload, may have been a perfect storm. (May have been, I'm just theorizing here.)

However, now that the ride vehicle is paused before unload, it no longer has forward momentum as it comes into the station. Stopping it in the spot right before the station, after the turn, is allowing it to rid itself of all swaying from the turn. Then the RV is started back up again, now going into unload perfectly straight.

We're so caught up in the new safety spiel they give after that pause before the station, that we may have missed one of the key reasons for the pause in the first place. Just a theory.

And a note, before the changes, if your ride vehicle was stopped (while looking at that ET hand constellation effect on the wall) before load because you were waiting on the car in front of you to move, which was most of the time, you might not have experienced the full speed rocking associated with coming directly into load after ET says your name without pausing. Again, just a theory, but I bet that swaying had something to do with the event — in addition to a kid having their foot out.

They have the keep hands and feet sign at ET's entrance, with graphic, of course. Always have.

View attachment 9132

That sign could be clearer, to me it says don't do the electric boogaloo while on the ride. Do 11 yo that only speak Portuguese understand what it is saying? I have heard the spiel so many times on various rides I do but maybe it was just a kid's not understanding of the dangers involved in a theme park. Probably his first visit to a real park as well but that is just spec on my part. Without a trial I doubt we will ever know and I doubt it ever gets to that.

Last edited:
I think the swaying of the ride vehicle as it came into unload was partially responsible for this situation. Sure, you shouldn't have your feet outside of the ride vehicle, but when an RV came into load without having to pause first it would sway after the turn. Sitting on the left-front side, with your foot out, plus the sway of the ride vehicle as it comes into unload, may have been a perfect storm. (May have been, I'm just theorizing here.)

However, now that the ride vehicle is paused before unload, it no longer has forward momentum as it comes into the station. Stopping it in the spot right before the station, after the turn, is allowing it to rid itself of all swaying from the turn. Then the RV is started back up again, now going into unload perfectly straight.

We're so caught up in the new safety spiel they give after that pause before the station, that we may have missed one of the key reasons for the pause in the first place. Just a theory.

And a note, before the changes, if your ride vehicle was stopped (while looking at that ET hand constellation effect on the wall) before load because you were waiting on the car in front of you to move, which was most of the time, you might not have experienced the full speed rocking associated with coming directly into load after ET says your name without pausing. Again, just a theory, but I bet that swaying had something to do with the event — in addition to a kid having their foot out.

Yeah I've experienced it before where it doesn't stop and just seems to come full speed swaying into the unload and stops with the restraints coming up almost simultaneously at stop. I could see how something might possibly happen if that were the case.

Just wondering if anyone else heard the rumor that during the ride the child fell asleep and as the ride came to unload area he was (unnoticed by staff untill it was your late)) practically falling off the bike....was being well discussed Thursday while at park by several people.

Just wondering if anyone else heard the rumor that during the ride the child fell asleep and as the ride came to unload area he was (unnoticed by staff untill it was your late)) practically falling off the bike....was being well discussed Thursday while at park by several people.
Not the story I have heard.

Not saying it's true as it came from cast members( of course they would never make things up..lol) but yeah was getting alot of Play during parade stand by line

I've heard that the parents initially claimed their child was.

Or don’t sit on the washing machine.

Darn, don't they know that is the best way to keep the noise down when I don't properly balance my laundry??

In all seriousness, my issue with the signs is people aren't going to read them anyway. Are there people who will read every word? Absolutely, I used to be one of them. But most people might skim the top to see what they're getting themselves into, and that's all the further they'll go. Putting up additional signage is a relatively cheap thing to do, sure, but my fear is it won't help prevent people from getting injured, whether it be from a fault of the ride or of the guest.

To be fair the silhouette is not as clear as it could be (I mean it has is leg up and over a sidewall that does not exist on this ride), but many do not even look at the signs anyway. I think it is the best bet to streamline the process of having a couple TMs visually verify and hold down some buttons. Possibly something could be done right before reaching the platform to make it clear to guests, maybe what to do instead of what not to do as to not make it horrifying.

When people vacation they are not thinking about things that are dangerous, they are having fun. People ignore warning signs, even TMs. I don't blame Uni for this happening, some people do really stupid things at theme parks: stick their hands into the water on boat rides (just crazy why people do this), trying to get up from vehicles, trying to reach things, etc.

There's not much Uni can do, they already post signs at the entrance, queue, loading, and they also put videos showing how to properly enter and sit inside a vehicle. (I don't think ET has this)

When people vacation they are not thinking about things that are dangerous, they are having fun. People ignore warning signs, even TMs. I don't blame Uni for this happening, some people do really stupid things at theme parks: stick their hands into the water on boat rides (just crazy why people do this), trying to get up from vehicles, trying to reach things, etc.

There's not much Uni can do, they already post signs at the entrance, queue, loading, and they also put videos showing how to properly enter and sit inside a vehicle. (I don't think ET has this)
I once heard Dudley has lapbars because people would actually try and get out of the logs or something.

I once heard Dudley has lapbars because people would actually try and get out of the logs or something.
I remember hearing a story way back when about someone getting out at the top before the big drop when it was backed up from someone that used to work there. They didn't put in any kind of restraints until way later though.

I do know that Dudley had a high injury rate from said person that used to work there (many people came off with broken noses and bloody faces) including personal experience (dad got whiplash and a concussion).