Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion | Page 213 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Saying GoT isn’t a good property to adapt for a house seems a little naive and flat out wrong?

I get the opinion that an original set in medieval times might be better for the event.
However i’d love to hear the reasoning behind why people think it would not be a good property to adapt, actually really confused as to why it wouldn’t.

I only saw season 1, binged it over a week on DVD. Almost didn't finish because it was Soooooo boring.

Way too much "people standing around talking at great length about politics and schemes" with highly unerotic nudity thrown in to try to hold your attention while they filibuster with expository narration.

Essentially "Naked CSPAN." Super exciting! (Not).

People tell me that it gets better but man, that was bad, and I LOVE that genre.

I only saw season 1, binged it over a week on DVD. Almost didn't finish because it was Soooooo boring.

Way too much "people standing around talking at great length about politics and schemes" with highly unerotic nudity thrown in to try to hold your attention while they filibuster with expository narration.

Essentially "Naked CSPAN." Super exciting! (Not).

People tell me that it gets better but man, that was bad, and I LOVE that genre.
To be fair, I'm not the biggest GOT fan. This is pretty much the standard formula for most HBO tentpole shows. They did the same thing with Boardwalk Empire. It eventually ramps up and starts to become more interesting but the first season always has the burden of establishing complicated relationships while trying to be entertaining. Anyways, I could see GOT being a marquee house after Stranger Things runs its course.

tenor.gif

Let me rephrase this a bit. I think Game of Thrones could make a awesome house THIS YEAR. I think it would be a one and done IP and I wouldn’t expect this house to tell the whole crazy complicated story of GoT it would just be winter. You would have set pieces of iconic scenes )winterfell, the crypts, the wall etc. and you would have hell break lose with all the wights, white walkers, frozen giants, dragons etc. the house would work as if this was your trip to Westeros trying to survive the invasion. While yes both Game of Thrones and Stranger Things would bring in huge crowds if you look at it from universals side they don’t care if we have short lines or not they care about money and bringing in as many people as possible and with this being the final season of GoT I can’t think of a better time to bring this property to the event. And even the general public that doesn’t watch game of thrones the whole idea of ice zombies in a fantasy setting would still be a big enough interest for most.

Reactions: Kadath
Pretty much my thoughts. At that point, might as well add in Lord of the Rings because Orcs and Goblins are scary looking.

They could do it. I don't think they should. The scary stuff is just one aspect of it, not the driving force. Plus, I think to do a house any justice - it would cost an exorbitant amount.

On the flip side, with Fox IPs off the table, and WB IPs probably in limbo (I don't believe they're giving up just yet now that they know the market exists), HHN may need to start looking beyond traditional "horror" IPs. Ghostbusters, should that prove true or not, falls into that camp as well for me. I'd add that George RR Martin has dabbled in horror in the past, and some horror elements make it into GoT. The series is intentionally a mash-up of multiple genres.

Game of Thrones is a slight stretch but would absolutely work as a horror house in the same way that American Horror Story and Walking Dead do. There are cannibals, zombies, ice creatures, shapeshifting death gods, reanimated warriors... the maze writes itself pretty easily.

That said, it's entirely a moot point (for now) because HBO falls under the WB masthead, and they aren't playing nice with properties.

GOT is much more violent, gory, and adult oriented than LotR. If HHN couldn’t get True Blood, they’re not getting GoT this late in the game.
We don't know if Universal ever TRIED to get True Blood. Universal never went after "big" TV shows until 2012 with TWD, and that was a cultural phenomenon. True Blood never compared, ratings-wise, and by 2012 was pretty long in the tooth.

TWD was the first TV franchise Universal "went after." Before then, the only "show" they ever used was Fear Factor - which they own.

Pretty much my thoughts. At that point, might as well add in Lord of the Rings because Orcs and Goblins are scary looking.

They could do it. I don't think they should. The scary stuff is just one aspect of it, not the driving force. Plus, I think to do a house any justice - it would cost an exorbitant amount.

I'm going to have to agree here; I think GoT would create a slippery slope.

I'm just significantly less interested in properties that aren't predominantly horror (e.g. Ghostbusters, GoT, and even Stranger Things [although, I think you could argue that StrTh is more heavy on horror than the other two]). Now, clearly, those properties could still succeed as houses. I would just always prefer horror properties over popular properties with elements of horror.