Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

Some of these HHN Facebook groups are having a melt down. People are like I hope Ghostbusters isn’t coming, it won’t be scary. Then you have guys saying they work for Universal and that they are insiders. They’re saying the list is wrong and those houses aren’t coming.

Some of these HHN Facebook groups are going into a melt down. People are like I hope Ghostbusters isn’t coming, it won’t be scary. Then you have guys saying they work for Universal and that they are insiders. They’re saying the list is wrong and those houses aren’t coming.

Anyone saying publicly they work for Universal and is an insider is on my super don't trust list.

I think the "family friendly" argument is actually pretty naive. The structure of the event, as it relates to house variety, hasn't changed much in 20 years. That's why the argument annoys me so much.

At a glance, 2002 was an incredibly "family friendly" event. Jurassic Park, Marvel, and Fear Factor are all family friendly, accessible IPs. Marvel was a headline IP. And, unless you knew where to look, none of them were gory.

Screamhouse and Scary Tales don't immediately read as "gory" either. Or even all that scary. Treaks and Foons was a poor man's Killer Klowns, including foam, moon shoes, and popping balloons as a scare.

People arguing that this lineup, especially, is "not scary" or family friendly have no imagination or awareness of what HHN is and always was.

Different strokes, you’re never gonna be everybody’s cup of tea, etc. but bottom line: if this lineup is really that big of a stressor one could save themselves time & money with a real simple solution-stay home.

FjEoZkd.gif

Not sure how to properly word this.. But there's a difference between watching a movie scene and actually being in the movie scene. I'm sure there are things that aren't that scary on film, but if you're in the environment, you'd get scared.
Exactly. I don't think Ghostbusters is a scary film at all. But if I was on the top of that hotel with the demon dogs staring me down, I would be hoping I wore my brown pants for sure!
Same with Klowns, it's not really that scary but if you were in the middle of the action it would be terrifying

The opening sequence of ghostbusters with the library ghost is easily one of the greatest “horror” openings ever. Sure the rest of the movie is a comedy but there are comedic moments in a horror setting. That horror setting rather it be the library or the hotel or even the stay puft marshmallow man in a movie of course it’s funny. But if your experiencing that in person the last thing you would be doing is laughing.

So are you guys content with the speculated line up? I'm really excited for this year and the line up IMO, is looking better than last year's line up.
Same with me. Universal Monsters, Ghostbusters, and Stranger Things in the same year is mind blowing. Monsters and J.C.'s The Thing are the two houses I promised myself I would make time for, whenever they happened. Thought I'd have to wait until at least 30.

Call me crazy, but I hope hhn keeps doing more non-horror unique ips like Ghostbusters. Its what makes the lineups so special. I was thinking about a "Terminator" maze, because T1 has some horror vibes to that I think work as a maze.

To break it down:
Stranger Things- Marquee House, there to draw people in but will undoubtedly be grand.
UCM- What more can you say? This will be a tribute to classic horror and if they use the Crash designs, with a hint of original flair.
Ho1C- Hard R intellectual property. This will be gory, gruesome, and has a lot of design potential.
Ghostbusters- Comedy house. If done in a soundstage, this could be even more grand than Stranger Things.
KKFOS- Cult Classic. My only question is if we'll be in the streets in the house...or on the ship?
Nightingales: Blood Prey: Sequel house. Bloody and gory with a unique setting.
Appalachian Yeti: IF put in a soundstage I feel like this will be the one that is most scenic. This is a great theme for a creature house.
Depths of Fear/Mariana's Trench: All hints to this from what I've seen is that it's our Seeds/ Scarecrow for the year.
Toothfairy: Thematically this can be taken multiple ways, but it will probably be whimsical and dark.
H&S: This one, I'm still not sure what it's really going to be so it's a curve ball.